Very impressed with Meguiars products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, just used my first Meguiars product today, the Deep Crystal car wash. For $3.97 for a bottle that'll last me the rest of the year it is a great value. Its shines much more then most others I have used and makes the whole car "pop" a little more. Very very impressed and I highly recommend.
thumbsup2.gif

I second this. I have used many Meguiars products. I don't think I have ever been disappointed with any of them. If in doubt, use something made by Meguiars...I'm not saying there is nothing better, but their products are consistently good...

I like their professional detailer series, especially the APC. They all come in gallons and are very economical.

They do make very good products and you can get them cheap if you catch them at the right time. I always stock up when Target is clearing them out at the end of the season. If all of their products are used properly you can get amazing results without a lot of effort. Not saying they are the best but they are very good and this is coming from someone who did professional detailing for quite a few years.

Anyone use their Clay kit? I've never clayed before, but was thinking of giving it a try to remove the rough feel from tree sap, etc. from our VUE's finish.

Meg's clay and Mother's are both good, purchase by price. Both will yield good results. Cut into thirds. If you drop one, which you will, then you still have two more pieces to use.

I bought their clay kit, it works great,if you've never used a clay bar on your car before I highly recommend doing so, be sure to wax afterwards.

I use the Gold Class car wash shampoo, lots of bubbles, leaves the paint with a slick finish
thumbsup2.gif

If you're just starting out in detailing your car, if you think a simple wash makes an improvement, then try claying it to remove the contaminants and then wax it with Meguiars NXT. Then your paint will really pop. NXT is about the easiest to use wax I've experienced with the best shine and ability to hide swirls.

If you really want to get into paint correction then I tell everyone to buy Meguiars D151, it's really good stuff and very beginner friendly. It's pretty much designed for the detailing pros as a one step polish for their customers that just "want it to shine". Best applied by machine. If you don't want to get a really expensive one, a cheapy 6" random orbital will work. I usually just use a wool bonnet on it and it does a fantastic job, better than you'd accomplish by hand.

The protection it offers doesn't last very long but generally next time I wash it then I wax it again. If you want really long lasting protection, more than the NXT can offer, there's not better wax than Collinite, their 476S is inexpensive and lasts months when properly applied.

Last edited:
Their customer service is great too. If you have any problems such as bottle not spraying well or leaking, one phone call and they will take care of you. Out of thousands of product that they have (and I must have used close to hundred over the years) only one product I was truly unhappy and returned it to the store. All other 99 Meguairs products have always met or exceed my expectation.

Yeah, I'm thinking about switching back to their Gold Class liquid wax. I changed to NuFinish because it was supposedly more durable according to Consumer Reports, but I've found it to not apply nearly as well. Or instead of the Gold Class, I may try the NXT.

Originally Posted By: qwertydude
I've tried both gold class and NXT and numerous other waxes. I can tell you by a long shot NXT is the far better choice. Gold class is just ok it protects and slightly cleans the paint but if you want an easy to use wax that really pops. Check out this thread about NXT. It'll make you a convert for sure.

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/last...-nxt-2-0-a.html

While NXT tech wax 2.0 (aka sealant) looks rather good, the durability is about as bad as you can get.

Yes but I find Gold Class liquid to be no better really. I've found most people get it simply because it's easy to find and or you can buy big bottles of it at Costco. Haven't tried the gold class paste but I don't imagine it to be any better. Overall I find the gold class waxes only average. Also with the gold class, if you apply it too thickly and let it dry I find it streaks pretty badly especially on darker cars or paint that's been neglected. NXT on the other hand you can apply as thick as you want and it'll buff right off clean, it's basically fool proof.

And even on the autopia detailing site and this own board they tend to agree that Gold Class doesn't last long either which has been my experience. NXT 2.0 which is now out on the shelf does last longer than either the original NXT or Gold Class.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...ax-nxt-wax.html

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2375828

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qwertydude
Yes but I find Gold Class liquid to be no better really. I've found most people get it simply because it's easy to find and or you can buy big bottles of it at Costco. Haven't tried the gold class paste but I don't imagine it to be any better. Overall I find the gold class waxes only average. Also with the gold class, if you apply it too thickly and let it dry I find it streaks pretty badly especially on darker cars or paint that's been neglected. NXT on the other hand you can apply as thick as you want and it'll buff right off clean, it's basically fool proof.

And even on the autopia detailing site they tend to agree that Gold Class doesn't last long either which has been my experience. NXT 2.0 which is now out on the shelf does last longer than either the original NXT or Gold Class.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...ax-nxt-wax.html

Yeah, I know those forum topics are VERY old, but still relevant today. I've used in the past both gold class and NXT 2.0, and gold class liquid, the paste is much better. Neither of these products are good on durability. And in most cases, the durability is measured in weeks, not months. There are FAR better waxes, sealants and coatings on the the market than both Gold Class or NXT 2.0. But I have to admit, NXT 2.0 does look darn good on metallics.

Now Collinite waxes is what I personally believe in, It's what I use now after having tried many many other products. I'm a Collinite convert. I work at a place that has these berry trees that birds eat and then bomb your car with purple colored acidic poop. Only Collinite can survive.

Even after baking on all day I can literally just take a car duster and swipe it and the poop just slides right off like a non-stick pan. If there's any residue from the poop a simple spray and wipe with a quick detailer and it comes right off. And it continues to do this for months if I let it, but I usually wax every 4-6 weeks since the Collinite products are so easy to use once you get the technique done, thin coats, very thin, this also means one bottle or can will last several years. People say you should get 8-10 cars out of a bottle of 845, properly done you should get more like 50 cars. That's how thin you need to apply it. I personally use the 915 paste. I find it looks best out of all of them. Works great for protecting wheels too from brake dust and grime.

Now keep in mind it is a pure wax so you need to properly clean clay and polish the paint first before using it to achieve the many months of protection possible. Wax doesn't tend to last when applied to a neglected surface. But do it right and rewaxing the car later is a breeze. So it only takes me about an hour to wax and buff my car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: barlowc
Collinite 845 is on my short list to try next time I need to wax one of our vehicles.

Awesome wax-sealant hybrid, price per application is next to nothing, easy to apply, looks great and lasts a long time. Excellent choice. This is one of the waxes I use on many of my customers cars that are daily drivers.

Another product to look at if bugs, bird droppings etc are an issue is FK1000p, one of the most durable products I have ever tried to protect the finish of your vehicle. Also easy to use and looks wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back