Washed the car with Murphy's Oil Soap

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I went to wash the car today and once I had everything out realized I was out of car wash soap....it's been over a year since I had a car I cared about enough to hand wash so didn't even think to check. Anyway, I remember reading on the back of the Murphy's bottle that you can use it on cars, so I did a quick Google and found a few car sites with people praising it. Anyone else using it? I've always used it on the interior but would use a Meguiar's product on the exterior.

UrL8egK.jpg

From the title I thought you used it on your Corolla. But it looks like that's been dropped from your signature. I've used laundry soap before which did ok in a pinch.

What were your impressions?

It wasn't very dirty so tough to tell but it worked just fine. My biggest concern would be if it strips wax like dish or laundry detergent, but it's oil based and not a grease cutting detergent so I'd think it would be okay. I'll probably pick up some Meguiar's for next time unless someone chimes in to support it's use. Murphy's is vegetable oil based so I would think it would be safe to use on waxed surfaces.

It wasn't very dirty so tough to tell but it worked just fine. My biggest concern would be if it strips wax like dish or laundry detergent, but it's oil based and not a grease cutting detergent so I'd think it would be okay. I'll probably pick up some Meguiar's for next time unless someone chimes in to support it's use. Murphy's is vegetable oil based so I would think it would be safe to use on waxed surfaces.
I might give it a try on my 88 E-150. The paint is old and tired, I would be interested in seeing what if anything it does.

Back