Verizon - No longer offering E-Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Protron mail has double password security, one to verify login and one to decrypt the emails, so they can't even read your emails if they wanted to as long as you're using the ios or Android app.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Gmail or Outlook - if you have an subscription to Office 365, you have Outlook. Microsoft made the smart move by killing off legacy Hotmail in favor of making Exchange available to all.

Outlook free lipstick on a pig. A gussied up email interface on top of likely a hotmail like backend optimized for responsive web.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Does anyone have any evidence to support the claim that Gmail/Google isn't secure?

Gmail is secure at least to outsiders, but they look at your mail content both in aggregate and individually. There's people who post screenshots of they get a message for something completely unrelated to anything they've searched before, and there's an ad right next to it that is related to the content of the message. So it's secure to outsiders but not to google themselves.
You can google it yourself and find the evidence and evaluate it yourself.

However, most Free services is in the same boat so google/gmail isn't alone. Unless you're paying for a service then you shouldn't expect anything else than that YOU are the product that is getting sold to advertisers.

Last edited:
yahoo is horrible you get hacked randomly and constantly almost unbelievably often even if you have some crazy password like 1#hsUJMKi8XXG

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Hello all,

I just received an E-mail from Verizon saying they are getting out of the E-mail business.
So, before April 6, I will have to find another e-mail provider.

I'm only an individual and use my e-mail acct. for
1) Receiving Auto-Pay notices from Utilities
2) Contacting family members
3) Business's confirming my online purchases
Pretty much - simple communications and nothing else.

I was thinking of going with yahoo.com
I know for security, your e-mail password is very important.

Question:
1) Anybody have any problems with yahoo ?
* Too many ads or security issues ?
2) Any other suggestions ?

I just tried singing up at Yahoo and they require a Mobil Phone No. / WHICH I DON'T HAVE.
I entered my home phone and it was not accepted.
My phone is a land-line with Verizon.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I have until April 6, but I want to get this taken care of and not wait until the last minute.

Agree with the negative aspects of Yahoo mail; I too use Gmail and it's been awesome with great security.

Really? Businesses.

I have quite a few emails....and a yahoo account older than some of you here....
wink.gif

Have very few issues with my e-mail addresses....but my yahoo tells me that someone is trying to get in to my account from all over the world. So, nothing of value goes in there...

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Get a free gmail account!

I would NOT use yahoo. I signed up once a number of years back to use it as my "junk" email that I gave out to people that I didn't want to have my gmail address. Well it was so bad I ended up deleting the account shortly after and just opening a second gmail account. Yahoo will fill up your inbox with all sorts of spam.

This above!
Get GMail, the best out there.

Hello all,

I just received an E-mail from Verizon saying they are getting out of the E-mail business.

Are you sure about this? What kind of internet provider is not going to offer email?
I looked around and could not find anything about Verizon dropping email.

I've used Excite, but you do have to be careful. Their tech department seems to be shaky at best, and they've had financial issues over the years. I'm always afraid the thing is going to go bust without any warning. So, I tend to use it mostly for whenever I do anything online that simply requires an email address, but for no ordinary reason, aside from marketing.

Hushmail is a secure option, within reason, but does have its limitations. I do use Gmail a lot, but I'm aware of its weaknesses, too.

Never use an eMail service from your internet provider. It locks you into that provider, limiting your ability to save money by switching.

Always use an eMail service from a well established company (that you are confident won't shut down) with good income (so they can afford to keep it running). Google gMail, Apple dotmac/dotme/doticloud, Microsoft, etc. Now you can choose the provider you want and not have to notify anyone of a new address or lose your mail archives.

Alternatively, you can set up your own domain and use that for eMail. Domain names are portable (in that you can change registrars and transfer the domain).

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Hello all,

Are you sure about this? What kind of internet provider is not going to offer email?
I looked around and could not find anything about Verizon dropping email.

OP here,
Reggaemon
Verizon says in e-mail: "Effective April 06, 2017, we'll no longer provide Verizon.net email service".
We have two options for you to consider.
1) Keep your current email address with AOL.
2) Try another email provider.

I'm not beholding to Verizon. Time to move on.

Hello all,

I'm only an individual and use my e-mail acct. for
1) Receiving Auto-Pay notices from Utilities
2) Contacting family members
Pretty much - simple communications and nothing else.

I was thinking of going with yahoo.com
I know for security, your e-mail password is very important.

Question:
1) Anybody have any problems with yahoo ?
* Too many ads or security issues ?
2) Any other suggestions ?

I just tried singing up at Yahoo and they require a Mobil Phone No. / WHICH I DON'T HAVE.
I entered my home phone and it was not accepted.
My phone is a land-line with Verizon.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I have until April 6, but I want to get this taken care of and not wait until the last minute.

Its a no brainer.

Open a free Microsoft outlook.com email. It will always be around and you wont have to switch in the future because its Microsoft.
Its free, works well and you can use it as simple email or go as far as you want with it.

gmail is another option if you dont mind google scanning your emails to sell advertising.

I would not bother with any others.

Yahoo is the only other option, but yahoo is in turmoil all the time, I would pass on it. Outlook and Gmail will be around forever.

By the way, not sure if you know, Verizon is in a deal to buy Yahoo. Things a little shaky though.
Click here for latest Verizon/Yahoo buyout

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Unless you're paying for a service then you shouldn't expect anything else than that YOU are the product that is getting sold to advertisers.

I would not even be that trusting. If you have digital cable (everybody) that you pay $100/mo for the cable company still sells your viewing habits to 3rd parties.

Verizon offloaded our email to AOL about two months before dumping us to Frontier (Texas). The AOL web based email is OK (just OK). It does not allow for adequate detail in creating filters. It filters nearly all the spam into a spam folder, however, I now get 30-50 spam emails a day in that folder (A few legitimate emails end up in there so I still have to wade through it all). I doubt that those were being removed by Verizon in the past. AOL is just a spam magnet. I used Outlook.com for a while, but they changed their free version to ad based and it wasn't such a great service that I was willing to pay for it to remove the ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back