Verizon - No longer offering E-Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I just received an E-mail from Verizon saying they are getting out of the E-mail business.
So, before April 6, I will have to find another e-mail provider.

I'm only an individual and use my e-mail acct. for
1) Receiving Auto-Pay notices from Utilities
2) Contacting family members
3) Business's confirming my online purchases
Pretty much - simple communications and nothing else.

I was thinking of going with yahoo.com
I know for security, your e-mail password is very important.

Question:
1) Anybody have any problems with yahoo ?
* Too many ads or security issues ?
2) Any other suggestions ?

I just tried singing up at Yahoo and they require a Mobil Phone No. / WHICH I DON'T HAVE.
I entered my home phone and it was not accepted.
My phone is a land-line with Verizon.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I have until April 6, but I want to get this taken care of and not wait until the last minute.

Get a free gmail account!

I would NOT use yahoo. I signed up once a number of years back to use it as my "junk" email that I gave out to people that I didn't want to have my gmail address. Well it was so bad I ended up deleting the account shortly after and just opening a second gmail account. Yahoo will fill up your inbox with all sorts of spam.

I prefer the layout of Google, way more friendlier and fast when compared to Yahoo. But to each their own.

Outlook.com and gmail.com are good options.

Don't get Yahoo. They've been hacked multiple times in the last few years, and I have reason to believe my personal account has been hacked more times than that. The answer is Gmail... far and away the best.

If you value your privacy then don't use Gmail. I don't trust that they aren't mining emails for keywords.

Protonmail is supposed to be very secure. Whether or not they will stay in business in the long term is tough to say.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
If you value your privacy then don't use Gmail. I don't trust that they aren't mining emails for keywords.

Protonmail is supposed to be very secure. Whether or not they will stay in business in the long term is tough to say.

Yes, I agree. They use all the key words present in the email to come up with pop ups for presenting ads, or based on your last search or things you are looking.

I've had gmail for about 5 years I think and don't recall ever getting a piece of junk mail. Some nice features too like a 30 second delay in case you want to pull back an email you just sent.

I have Outlook too and it's not unusual for it to go down every so often.
Plenty of junk mail too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
1) Anybody have any problems with yahoo ?

Yes, every Yahoo user has had problemss with Yahoo: they've had at least 3 major hacks recently and it turned out that they covered them up. The other major problem with Yahoo is profiling - when savvy people see a yahoo.com email address, they know you're older.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
2) Any other suggestions ?

As has been stated, gmail is excellent but it exists to datamine you. Protonmail is highly secure but its future is not necessarily secure due to fiscal and political concerns. You can choose one of protonmail's premium tiers or simply make a donation if you want to support internet privacy.

Gmail or Outlook - if you have an subscription to Office 365, you have Outlook. Microsoft made the smart move by killing off legacy Hotmail in favor of making Exchange available to all.

Interesting that the most of the recommendations are for the two email providers that have an abysmal record regarding your privacy, Yahoo and Gmail.

My first choice would be https://www.fastmail.com Besides email you get a nice calender and contacts, a bit of file storage and other benefits that are to long to list here and they have a good record regarding privacy.

My second choice would be https://runbox.com Just email without any frills hosted offshore and again, a good record regarding privacy.

Take care.

Does anyone have any evidence to support the claim that Gmail/Google isn't secure?

Sometimes Gmail login gets on my nerves.. I have had a hotmail account (multiple accounts with them for years since 2000) and never had an issue, I use it for pretty much everything but if you are worried its not secure enough, gmail would work.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Does anyone have any evidence to support the claim that Gmail/Google isn't secure?

Yes. Google it. It's right in the Terms of Service...

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Yes. Google it. It's right in the Terms of Service...

+1 Google is a data mining machine, it's well known. Chrome's TOS sucks too. I use Firefox.

Soo my recommendations: Outlook, protonmail, [censored] even AOL mail (which is, ironically, owned by Verizon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back