Ver 2 Mercruiser / ACPF1218 Oil Filter Study w/ Pore and Flow Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the other filters that are compared -
are they mapped (recommended by their manufacturer) for the same engine the Merc filter goes on?).
I ask this cause I thought some of the mgf did not list marine applications. Some do. i did not think purolater did?

The WIX 51086 (short canister) is listed by them as a marine application for the Mercruiser V8's.

The Baldwin marine Merc V8 listed filter is the B360. It is the small canister size. I didn't compare it b/c I would have had to order it.

All the rest I crossed to the PH5 or PF1218.

I started out just wanting to compare the WIX 51086 to the Mercruiser. After that I realized that the application would also accept the AC PF1218 and the study grew to almost become a PF1218 study.

BTW, the pictures are back up on the site.

[ February 01, 2004, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Grease is the word ]

Thanks I think I tried to ask Purolater one time and they did not list a filter for the merc 4 cyl engine. Cant remember if my request was for the Pureone or their regular filter.

the fact that the Merc flows so much I really think is a design thing based on how boats are used (either at idle or wide open ) which is very unlike cars.

Thanks.

get busy on the air filters!!!!!

If it's cold outside, I bet there ain't no oil going up there for at least the first 45 seconds.

AAAhhh, long range forcast says 12-14 degrees Saturday and Sunday morning for my neck of the woods..
lol.gif

I just thought, My results might not be representive since i run a High pressure oil pump....
confused.gif
But, I'll do it anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by carl97ss:
Perhaps someone can address this for me. I'm a bit confused. I have a GM shop manual for the '93 Z-28 w/ an LT1 v-8. The lubrication system description says the recommend oil filter is a ac/delco pf-25 and it has an interal bypass valve as does the block. The long filter for the pf-25 is the pf-35 and if you need anti-drain back, the pf-1218 can be used. However, when I went to the cross reference and oil filter discriptor at Autozone, they say the pf-25 does not have a by-pass valve and the pf-35 and 1218 do! However in this test, no by-pass valve was found in the pf-1218. Comments

None of the PF1218 cross reference filters (including the AC) have a by-pass. Also, I believe either the PF25 or PF35 has been discontinued -- I don't remember which. The 1218 has been designated to take its place.

quote:

Perhaps someone can address this for me. I'm a bit confused. I have a GM shop manual for the '93 Z-28 w/ an LT1 v-8. The lubrication system description says the recommend oil filter is a ac/delco pf-25 and it has an interal bypass valve as does the block. The long filter for the pf-25 is the pf-35 and if you need anti-drain back, the pf-1218 can be used. However, when I went to the cross reference and oil filter discriptor at Autozone, they say the pf-25 does not have a by-pass valve and the pf-35 and 1218 do! However in this test, no by-pass valve was found in the pf-1218. Comments?

Over the years I've used the PF25, PF35 and PF1218 filters on my current LT1 and the one I used to own and I can tell you with 99% certainty that none of those filters have a bypass valve in them, and only the PF1218 has an antidrainback valve.

The PF25 is now replaced with the PF454, and I am fairly certain they stopped making the PF35 since the PF1218 is the same filter anyways, just with the ADBV.

Excellent. I guess GM got their shop manual wrong. I like you Patman, Have used the PF-35 for years and when GM replaced it with the PF-1218 I started using it.
Hey "Grease is the Word", I have a Hard Driver synthetic oil filter in PF-25 size. If you'd like it to test, email me your address and I'll send it to you.
cheers.gif

quote:

Hey "Grease is the Word", I have a Hard Driver synthetic oil filter in PF-25 size. If you'd like it to test, email me your address and I'll send it to you.
cheers.gif

Carl97ss: please check your PM. Thanks for your offer.

Perhaps someone can address this for me. I'm a bit confused. I have a GM shop manual for the '93 Z-28 w/ an LT1 v-8. The lubrication system description says the recommend oil filter is a ac/delco pf-25 and it has an interal bypass valve as does the block. The long filter for the pf-25 is the pf-35 and if you need anti-drain back, the pf-1218 can be used. However, when I went to the cross reference and oil filter discriptor at Autozone, they say the pf-25 does not have a by-pass valve and the pf-35 and 1218 do! However in this test, no by-pass valve was found in the pf-1218. Comments?
On the conversation about letting a car warm up a bit and then drive it... For those who can pull a valve cover off easily, I suggest they do it, start their car and see how long it is before you see oil appear on the rockers or cams. i plan on doing this next weekend w/ my car. I can pull off the drivers side in just a few minutes and observe the rockers.
dunno.gif
should be interesting.

Grease, that article/speadsheet is great, kudos for getting it all together!!
It would be interesting to see the effect of the size, number, and pattern of the inside tube return holes added to the demonstrated flowrates of the given media. It would also be interesting to see the difference in flowrate of a given amount of media(EFA in the report) with more/shallower pleats compared with fewer/deeper pleats.
A while back I had cut open a couple of AC PF-52 filters from Kmart and Walmart.. They both had 244 sq in, but the Kmart/delphi version had 36 pleats 13/16 in. deep by 4 3/16 in. long, and the Walmart/champion version had 61 pleats 8/16 in. deep by 4 in. long..
The champion version was more uniform looking,with the typical champion layout for inside tube holes, the delphi version had larger inside tube holes, it would have been interesting to compare the performance of those 2 filters given that the media area was the same huh? (The ST-3980 equivalent for them had 206 sq in of media, the pureone pl-24011 had 236 sq in)
Didn't mean to run on like that, thanks again for putting all that filter info together.
Rando

[ February 07, 2004, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: ZR2RANDO ]

Thanks for the kudos -- I'm glad you liked it. The page is getting over 100 views a day. I'm also posting the link on chevytalk.com, boating forums, and offshoreonly.com. Much of the credit has to go to our BITOG member who did the media testing. The study would not have near the impact if it didn't have that data.

I plan on measuring the total area of the holes in the center tube. I just haven't gotten the motivation to do it. I'm the type that is excited to get to 90% but has a very hard time finishing the last 10%.

This particular application (pf1218) had very similar pleat depths. Of course the two smaller canisters had smaller pleat depths.

I think that one can make some general conclusions about this study if the application is not exactly yours. Let's say you couldn't decide between two different brands of filters. You could cut open the two filters for your application and plug in the EFA into the spreadsheet and determine the flow for your application.

This this would also allow you to look at filter pleats and counts for your application. It also gives you a chance to examine the by-pass valves for your application since this one doesn't have one.

[ February 07, 2004, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Grease is the word ]

Thank the BITOG member for the work, I'm sure it was tedious at times. I did some filtration studies when I got my Chem Eng degree from Auburn several years ago, I think filter theory/dynamics are cool. Wish I could find a job doing it these days. have a good evening!
Rando

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Which style AC did you test, the Champion or the other one? It would be interesting to see how they compare.

-T

The Champion from AutoZone. I have looked at Advanced Auto and see it is the same.

Once again, great work, Grease. I had thought of this some time back, but will finally mention it now. Assuming these "boat" filter medias are identical to their car/truck counterparts in each brand, you might do well to simply drop the "Mercruiser" title and simply mention in the report that you were looking for boat filters while doing an oil filter study. I suspect that some -- maybe many -- folks may be overlooking your thread since...well, since they don't have boats and therefore don't suspect the info might be useful to them, thereby missing some great data that in the end very much IS applicable to their asphalt pounders. Just a beer-fueled idea for ya...

[ February 08, 2004, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

Point well taken, TC. I agree. What started for boats has now become a 12+ (soon to be about 16) oil filter comparison. How about:

GM V8 oil filter comparison
AC PF1219 comparison
Oil Filter Pore and Flow comparison

Anything else? Help me out here.

Thanks

Which style AC did you test, the Champion or the other one? It would be interesting to see how they compare.

-T

I asked Purolater if they were aware they were getting "opinions" that the pure one was "lower flow" than other filters and that this was not good and possibly inadequate to protect an engine ( also people's opinions).

The reply i got today (signed by a persons name ( which was good ) was:

PureOne filters meet the flow requirements of automotive applications. We
test our filters per SAE specification HS806 Chapter 1, and the standard
flow rate requirement that we follow states that the pressure differential
(between inlet and outlet) shall not exceed 3.0 psi at a flow rate of 3.0
gpm. On the PL30001 filters, flow restriction is 0.8 psi (avg) at 3.0 gpm.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
makes me wonder what the flow rates have been in the first set of tests by Bob where we saw the higher pressure drops.
3 GPM may be enough to keep an engine well oiled. At 3 GPM (are there 4 quarts in a gallon? thats 12 quarts a minute?) with say, 3 quarts in the oil pan you are turning over the oil pan contents every 15 seconds? check my math.
What flow rate really happens in a medium V6 say?
People talk about oil pumps being rated at 12 GPM, but with what output restriction? Is it 12 GPM @ free discharge? let it pump into all the small 0.001 engine passages and the flow has to really drop off. So maybe thats why Purolater is using 3 GPM. What flows were happening in Bobs tests? Where we saw the large pressure drops?

3 GPM is a lot of oil (my opinion)
Anyone know about HS 806?

[ February 09, 2004, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: edwardh1 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back