Valvoline White Bottle on a High Mileage Car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I drive a 2000 mitsubishi galant v6 with 91,000 miles on it. Today i did my second oil change with valvoline white bottle and it seems like my engine likes this oil (i used to have mobil 1 in this engine but i switched to VWB a few months ago).
I was looking at valvoline's webpage and they dosen't recommend VWB in my car because it have more than 75,000 miles they suggest maxlife instead of VWB.
My question is:

Is there any major problem if i keep using valvoline white bottle?... To me,it performs great.

Last edited:
Nope. Its a good oil. They just want to sell you the Maxlife. Their site always tells me I should run synthetic. ....they just want you to spend more money.

If VWB works fine, then keep using it! If your car develops leaks or burns alot of oil, i would switch to MaxLife

Very good oil . AAP has Valvoline Nextgen on sale now 2 for $6. Good deal for the same oil your running now.

91K isn't high mileage.
191K would be getting there.
VWB should be fine in your engine.
It seems to deliver low wear metals in UOAs, although it also seems to have limited TBN retention.
If you want to try Maxlife, it seems to be very good stuff, based upon the one UOA I've had done with it.

I have a Rav4 with 231,000 miles. I have owned it since new and have used nothing but VWB 5w30 every 5000 miles. Engine is clean internally and never leaks.

I don't like to use high mileage oils on cars that don't leak. I am not sure of the benefits of seal swelling additives on a seal that doesn't leak.

My Lexus LS400 with more than 300k miles and it still has normal oil in it. It had dino syn depend on which I had in my stash. It had Maxlife dino and full-syn before, but the consumption rate of 1/2 quart per 4-5k miles didn't change, so I go back to non HM oil.

The E430 with more than 140k miles still has non HM oil, just regular synthetic but thinner than recommended.

If I can buy HM oil for less than regular, the I will buy and use it.

Originally Posted By: n00b76
Thanks for the replies.

fdcg27 : i was looking at this test results:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresultssep2011.html

It looks like valvoline white bottle have less TBN than the other ones. Does that makes VWB the worst one?

No, not at all. Results are what counts, and VWB consistently does extremely well if you sort through some UOA's you'll see.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Thanks for the replies.

It looks like valvoline white bottle have less TBN than the other ones. Does that makes VWB the worst one?

No, not at all. Results are what counts, and VWB consistently does extremely well if you sort through some UOA's you'll see.

If by extremely well, you mean there are no obvious signs of failure, I agree. But then that goes for basically every oil we see on this site run at an appropriate interval in a mechanically sound engine.

Looking at UOA's and contrasting PPM is an exercise in futility, but then I'm sure you know that.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Thanks for the replies.

If by extremely well, you mean there are no obvious signs of failure, I agree. But then that goes for basically every oil we see on this site run at an appropriate interval in a mechanically sound engine.

Looking at UOA's and contrasting ppm is an exercise in futility, but then I'm sure you know that.

Yes, UOA's are by far the most useful for giving you a window into the condition of the oil. Valvoline typically holds up well in this regard. The fact "wear" ppm's are also generally low do at least support that it's doing it's job to protect the engine.

Splitting knat hairs over a few fe ppm? I concur, waste of time.

Rustypigeon, which engine does your rav4 have in it, the 2.4 or 2.5? Just curious as my xb has the 2.4 (2azfe) and am thinking about exclusively running Valvoline products in it

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
I have a Rav4 with 231,000 miles. I have owned it since new and have used nothing but VWB 5w30 every 5000 miles. Engine is clean internally and never leaks.

I don't like to use high mileage oils on cars that don't leak. I am not sure of the benefits of seal swelling additives on a seal that doesn't leak.

I agree. If it ain't broke......

Hello,

I drive a 2000 mitsubishi galant v6 with 91,000 miles on it. Today i did my second oil change with valvoline white bottle and it seems like my engine likes this oil (i used to have mobil 1 in this engine but i switched to VWB a few months ago).
I was looking at valvoline's webpage and they dosen't recommend VWB in my car because it have more than 75,000 miles they suggest maxlife instead of VWB.
My question is:

Is there any major problem if i keep using valvoline white bottle?... To me,it performs great.

No problem. I've used VWB in several vehicles up to and beyond 150k with never a leak or any other problem. On UOAs with vehicles in the sig, VWB performed as well as Amsoil did at 5000 miles. Use with confidence.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
Rustypigeon, which engine does your rav4 have in it, the 2.4 or 2.5? Just curious as my xb has the 2.4 (2azfe) and am thinking about exclusively running Valvoline products in it

It is a 2003 rav4 with the 2.0L 1AZ-FE engine.

Even a car with 50,000 miles could benefit from HM oils. Seals and gaskets age from time, not just miles driven. (You can say the same about many other car components such hoses, tubes, other soft parts, spring coils struts, etc).

I have had +10 year old cars with just 60,000 miles.. already leaking profusely from various seals and gaskets.

In my opinion Maxlife is a better oil. Forget the "HM" designation. It's just marketing. Maxlife does have better detergents, better anti-wear additives, and probably base stock. It used to be called officially a synthetic blend oil, but the syn blend name was dropped recently, without changing its formula. But by all means, if you like it, keep using VWB. It's a fine conventional oil.

Using only the add pack as a example the calicum # is different from the add pack of the white bottle. The pixie dust is up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back