Valvoline Restore & Protect

Why are people complaining about the 4 OCIs it takes. Even HPL EC or HPL PCMOs makes no claims of 100% cleaning in 1 OCI. Neither does Rislone and from my experience they both work.

What happened to the Anti Engine flush slow cleaning is the way to go guys?

I think Valvolines claims are completely reasonable.

Another person from Reddit commented about the oil too doing some cleaning...

Just to share my experience on this oil, I am into my 2nd run on restore and protect (change oil at every 5000 miles interval), running 5w20, a 2010 pickup with 204800 miles, third owner
Before I used this oil, when I glanced into the oil refill inlet, I saw blackish deposit practically covering most of the parts, I can even see the lifters & springs. My truck burns about a quart every 1000 miles, so I always check every 1000 miles and refill some oil. At about 3000 miles, the color of the lifters, spring and the walls became light chocolate brown, very noticeable, then I have noticed this oil is actually doing something.
My mileage did went up 1mile +/- daily driving, and the engine feels “less resistance” to accelerate. And when I did my 5000 miles oil change, the oil that drained off was pitch black, like totally dark.
Anyway my 2 oil change had ran about 800 miles, I checked for oil consumption l, seems it has slow down but really minor. I am much confident that the oil actually helps to clean up deposits. I suggest getting the 3 jugs of 5 quarts package from amazon and it will bring down the cost of each jug to about 31 +/- with tax so much affordable than getting just one 5 quarts jug.

I got a new to me 1987 Toyota MR2 in October of 23, I've done a ton to its lubrication system. It had a really sad life of unknown length oil changes, with what I can gather, not the best quality oil.

As part of the entire regimen I've been self prescribing, I just switched out to Restore and Protect 5w30. I don't drive enough right now to really say it's making a huge difference but I am aware it will take several OCI's to see the benefits Valvoline claims.

Back in October when I started making repairs, I had to replace the valve covers and spark plug valley gaskets - the underside of the Valve covers were stained badly with Varnish, as well as most of the head and cams and in some of the cam bucket valleys it had...crud\sludge, not a huge amount of accumulation, but it wasn't clean. Time will tell.

Last edited:
The bottle says "79% stronger protection vs industry standard" meanwhile their EP says "50% stronger protection vs industry standard". Thoughts?

But why 79? Why not 80? Why not 100? There must be some testing they did for these claims? I get not knowing, but I'm tired of "just marketing" being the answer for stuff we don't know
This exact question has been asked the past few months by many, produced endless thread pages of speculation with no answers. If you find it, do share.

But why 79? Why not 80? Why not 100? There must be some testing they did for these claims? I get not knowing, but I'm tired of "just marketing" being the answer for stuff we don't know
If i remember HPL owner said most retail oils that follow standard certifications use approved additive packages that has a lower and upper limit of what kind of anti wear additives and are bound within these limits.
Of course there goes saying every major oil vendor is going to have some secret sauce to some degree.

This exact question has been asked the past few months by many, produced endless thread pages of speculation with no answers. If you find it, do share.
If i remember HPL owner said most retail oils that follow standard certifications use approved additive packages that has a lower and upper limit of what kind of anti wear additives and are bound within these limits.
Of course there goes saying every major oil vendor is going to have some secret sauce to some degree.

Screenshot_20240417_161437_Gmail.jpg

Why are people complaining about the 4 OCIs it takes. Even HPL EC or HPL PCMOs makes no claims of 100% cleaning in 1 OCI. Neither does Rislone and from my experience they both work.

What happened to the Anti Engine flush slow cleaning is the way to go guys?

I think Valvolines claims are completely reasonable.
Yeah, too soon to tell …

From Valvoline- user reviews.
Before
View attachment 214392
View attachment 214393
View attachment 214394

“Recently purchased a 2007 Toyota 4Runner SR5 with 125,000 miles on it. The Runner actually had a decent record of consistent generic oil changes every 3,000 miles. However, after looking inside the valve cover with an endoscope, I noticed heavy varnish and slight sludge built up in certain areas I could get to. I didn't want to do an engine flush, as I heard it might clog the oil passageways. Initially, I tried another popular brand that is known for cleaning and after about 1200 miles of driving, I looked inside the valve cover, but did not notice any difference. Valvoline Restore and Protect was released shortly after - I was initially interested, because the marketing targeted was exactly what I was looking for (Restore to Factory Clean and prevents build-up), so I gave it a try. The Oil has been in the engine for 1,324 miles and wow - I have not drained it yet, but I can already see a noticeable difference looking in the valve cover. The areas that contained yellow varnish is notably silver and the areas that contained minor sludge build up looks significantly cleaner. The engine also runs a lot smoother (quieter) with this oil. Since sludge was present, I'm going to drain this oil at 1500 miles and refill with new Valvoline Restore and Protect.”
Dont forget to install a new filter regardless of short oci as it is going to have the stuff you cleaned out in there. Usually those oils that claim to clean will advise folks to change the filter before the full oci for safety sake. I seriously doubt the filter will be plugged but just play it safe.

Reactions: wlk
Back