Valvoline Restore & Protect

From Valvoline- user reviews.
Before
View attachment 214392
View attachment 214393
View attachment 214394

“Recently purchased a 2007 Toyota 4Runner SR5 with 125,000 miles on it. The Runner actually had a decent record of consistent generic oil changes every 3,000 miles. However, after looking inside the valve cover with an endoscope, I noticed heavy varnish and slight sludge built up in certain areas I could get to. I didn't want to do an engine flush, as I heard it might clog the oil passageways. Initially, I tried another popular brand that is known for cleaning and after about 1200 miles of driving, I looked inside the valve cover, but did not notice any difference. Valvoline Restore and Protect was released shortly after - I was initially interested, because the marketing targeted was exactly what I was looking for (Restore to Factory Clean and prevents build-up), so I gave it a try. The Oil has been in the engine for 1,324 miles and wow - I have not drained it yet, but I can already see a noticeable difference looking in the valve cover. The areas that contained yellow varnish is notably silver and the areas that contained minor sludge build up looks significantly cleaner. The engine also runs a lot smoother (quieter) with this oil. Since sludge was present, I'm going to drain this oil at 1500 miles and refill with new Valvoline Restore and Protect.”
My son reports the same smoothness you are stating as well. He said you can barely tell it is running when idling. Glad you had positive results as well

It fixed my kids Tacoma oil burning in 1 oil change. Taco is a 13 w 180ish k miles, it had just started burning and a new pcv valve didn't fix it either. It also resolved a ivvt code that was coming and going in the first oil change. Motor is clean thru the oil fill hole and was maintained by previous owner, lots of records. It worked for us, no complaints with it.
Did Valvoline Restore and Protect cause any oil leaks? I have 14 Toyota Venza V6 @120K and have been using PUP every 5K OCI.

But with Valvoline R&P being $30 for five quarts, we may just be better off getting Castrol EP for the same price.. one may say that's a better oil since it's rated for 25k, and I believe it has more certifications..

"Restore & Protect can help clean intake valves. It is our highest-performing product in the Valvoline portfolio. While other Valvoline products focus on wear prevention, Restore & Protect couples wear protection while actively helping restore engine cleanliness and protect against future damage by dissolving engine-killing deposits, and meets the demanding requirements of turbo-charged and gasoline direct injected engines. This engine oil meets or exceeds all requirements of ILSAC GF-6A, API SP, API SN with SN PLUS, API SN, Resource Conserving, and all preceding API and ILSAC gasoline categories."

This is really interesting news if true.

Has anyone here reported some good results from these oils yet? Amazon has a few positives relating to deposit removal.

Back