Valvoline Restore & Protect 5w-30 (Gonna Take a Chance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add packs between the two are virtually identical, difference “should be” in the base oil compositions.

I’ve not seen extensive analysis of the Valvoline, but there was one recently on Pennzoil Ultra versus Platinum. Add packs are virtual ringers between the two but there were significant differences in base oil compositions.

Unless Valvoline is flat lying Extended should be superior, according to their marketing claims and pricing structure.

I do 5k OCIs anyway but figure a 20k rated oil should in theory leave fewer deposits than a 10k one. Worth an extra 2 bucks to me.
I been using Mobil 1 Advanced full synthetic 5W20, Next oil change in my Edge I may just go to Mobil 1 EP I only run 5-6000 miles myself.

Valvoline is off the shelf additives blended into purchased base oils. They do not innovate in-house. They have a massive advertising budget but they are not some cutting edge formulators themselves.
Let's call Valvoline a blender then, but is PBR not novel or innovative? Cummins has enough confidence to make Valvoline the house oil.

Patent for oil to clean carbon deposits:

And they're the lubricant supplier of the Aston F1 team. That's just the most technologically demanding motorsport there is.

I'm not saying they're a fully integrated powerhouse like Mobil supplying every industry, but they're not just a marketing project like Fram or K&N oil, or a generic house brand like Supertech or Kirkland (which are perfectly serviceable). Its disingenuous to suggest that.

Additive package will come from one of the majors, likely to Valvoline's specs (not a generic one) from Infineum, Afton, Lubrizol...etc.
SDS Section 15, state regs, PA:
"PROPRIETARY SUBSTANCE OF HITEC 11188 -
000000276110"
You can't find it on the Afton website or Google.

Valvoline is off the shelf additives blended into purchased base oils. They do not innovate in-house. They have a massive advertising budget but they are not some cutting edge formulators themselves.

Many companies have their own dedicated engine lab. The all have phd chemists too.

In Amsoil's case for some oils they are just buying additive packages from a supplier (OE line for example) and their other oils like SS and Dominator are developed in-house. Same with Valvoline, Mobil and many others. Custom additive packages developed in conjunction with the blender and additive supplier.

Valvoline's market is quick lube and retail (Walmart/AZ etc.) so they will be limited by material selection to some extent.

Let's call Valvoline a blender then, but is PBR not novel or innovative? Cummins has enough confidence to make Valvoline the house oil.

Patent for oil to clean carbon deposits:

And they're the lubricant supplier of the Aston F1 team. That's just the most technologically demanding motorsport there is.

I'm not saying they're a fully integrated powerhouse like Mobil supplying every industry, but they're not just a marketing project like Fram or K&N oil, or a generic house brand like Supertech or Kirkland (which are perfectly serviceable). Its disingenuous to suggest that.

SDS Section 15, state regs, PA:
"PROPRIETARY SUBSTANCE OF HITEC 11188 -
000000276110"
You can't find it on the Afton website or Google.
The Cummins deal is nothing but an advertisement that Valvoline pays Cummins for.

And you really think Valvoline oils are in the Mercedes powertrain that powers the Aston F1 team? They didn't start putting Valvoline decals on that car until late in the season this year for a marketing push. Valvoline had nothing to do with whatever is in the dry sump of Alonso's car this year. Stop being naive about advertising.

Many companies have their own dedicated engine lab. The all have phd chemists too.

In Amsoil's case for some oils they are just buying additive packages from a supplier (OE line for example) and their other oils like SS and Dominator are developed in-house. Same with Valvoline, Mobil and many others. Custom additive packages developed in conjunction with the blender and additive supplier.

Valvoline's market is quick lube and retail (Walmart/AZ etc.) so they will be limited by material selection to some extent.
Again, this is just a massive ad. I have no doubt that they test what they blend for quality assurance purposes, but they are a marketing company before they are an oil company.

Ok Valvoline gets there base oil from Exxon Mobil and then gets the additive package, from Afton Chemical, what makes them different, from Mobil 1 or Castrol accept they already have their own base oils.. they still have to go to a chemical company for their own blend correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back