Valvoline NEXTGEN over already?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using the Nextgen product for awhile. I think I was one of the 1st persons to post a UOA on it in this forum. I have been re-building my personal oil reserve the past couple of months using the free after rebates (FAR) offered via AAP, AZ etc... on Nextgen. One thing I noticed, and it might be local to may area, is that the date of manufacture on these oil jugs are at least 6 months old. I am assuming these FAR deals on Nextgen are primarily aimed at cleaning out the old stock from the supply chain, but only Valvoline knows for sure.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Nope, the only reason people are buying it is because it is FREE after the rebate,talk about pricing it less and making people think that it is inferior. LOL Seems like the FAR is doing a great job of that. I promise you once the FAR program is done this stuff will sit on shelves for a looooog, time not that it has been selling well anyhow.

Nope, Valvoline made a mistake they needed to price it at a value level to get people interested, not give it away for free.

If Valvoline made a mistake with this product, I am glad for their error.
My UOA goes a long way toward showing that Nextgen Maxlife 10W-40 may be the sleeper oil for old BMWs.
It held up extraordinarily well in my use over a short 4K interval.
It could have been run much longer.
This is a very good product, and Valvoline is giving some away to get the word out.
Use it or not as you see fit.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: antonmnster
I've got about 30 quarts for my BMW and Audi. I'm not too worried about either car.

At my work, we've been using re-refined oil for 30 years. You know what? Used oil is a lot cleaner than crude oil. In those 30 years, there have been two engine failures, out of a fleet that averaged about 60 trucks at any time.

And it probably wasn't an oil related failure, right?

Well, it was a lack-of-oil related failure. The 35-year tech I was talking to said is was due to a frozen PCV in a 5.4 Ford.

I've got about 30 quarts for my BMW and Audi. I'm not too worried about either car.

At my work, we've been using re-refined oil for 30 years. You know what? Used oil is a lot cleaner than crude oil. In those 30 years, there have been two engine failures, out of a fleet that averaged about 60 trucks at any time.

And it probably wasn't an oil related failure, right?

Well, it was a lack-of-oil related failure. The 35-year tech I was talking to said is was due to a frozen PCV in a 5.4 Ford.

But that's not an really oil related failure meaning it wasn't because of the oil. More mechanical

To me it boils down to pricing. If they had been $1.00 cheaper per quart it would have sold.
People see "recycled" and expect it to be cheaper. Right or wrong thats the way it is.
oldhp

I was at the local Wally world today and noticed no 5 qts jugs of the Valvoline Nextgen. The only thing that they had was in quarts for $4 and change.

i dont get it ashland pickups up all this used oil from auto parts retailers (at no charge) and professional auto repair shops like (25 to 50 cents a gal.) and expect to make this oil just as good as white bottle valvoline. All the years working in auto parts I was taught that all this used oil would be turned into kerosene and nothing more. Ive use a few quarts of Next Gen in my cars to top them off and never had problems but why pay more for used goods. I Know it might take more time and manpower to what they do to rejuvinate the oil but why pay more for a hand me down product.

Originally Posted By: TheThickster
i dont get it ashland pickups up all this used oil from auto parts retailers (at no charge) and professional auto repair shops like (25 to 50 cents a gal.) and expect to make this oil just as good as white bottle valvoline. All the years working in auto parts I was taught that all this used oil would be turned into kerosene and nothing more. Ive use a few quarts of Next Gen in my cars to top them off and never had problems but why pay more for used goods. I Know it might take more time and manpower to what they do to rejuvinate the oil but why pay more for a hand me down product.

Once again, re-refined oil is not an inferior product. Have you ever seen crude oil straight from the ground? A lot more contaminates and it's pretty nasty, used oil,is a much cleaner starting point.

All the walmarts near me moved it to the clearance rack in the automotive section, 15 bucks for 10W30 next gen High Milage, not a bad price, but i already have 10.1 quarts saved up (5.1Q of 5W30 Next gen non HM, and 5Q Of PYB) If i had immediate need for a HM oil i would grab it, but...right now i got better in my basement.

I see next gen going to auto part store only distribution, instead of walmart, as it does not sell well to the average consumer where there is no clerk to educate them on the new oil.

Once again, re-refined oil is not an inferior product. Have you ever seen crude oil straight from the ground? A lot more contaminates and it's pretty nasty, used oil,is a much cleaner starting point.

If used oil is a much cleaner starting point, why should NEXTGEN cost the same as VWB?

It shouldn't.

And thats why it ain't selling.

Like I said, it should be at least $1.00 cheaper per quart.
Even then it still might not sell.

We as Americans don't fully accept re-cycling. At least not yet.
oldhp

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TBirgensmith

If used oil is a much cleaner starting point, why should NEXTGEN cost the same as VWB?

Is shouldn't. From valvoline, pricing it cheaper would make people think its an "cheaper" inferior oil. BUT all the nextgen I have, I've gotten FAR. Can't complain about about a large stash of free oil.

Last edited:
Quote:

The same refining technology and capital equipment outlay is reqired for re-refined oil as it is for crude oil.

Contaminants have to be separated and refined out of both oil sources.

The VNG base oils contain re-refined source oils and are mixed with refined oils from crude. What you get in both cases are base oils equivalent to API GroupII oils.

I too think that if they priced it about $1.00 or more below their regular conventional oils NG would sell better.

Last edited:
^Then some would have the inferior product complex based on pricing compared to VWB.

Let's face the fact people's decision making skills these days are ruled by emotions derived from perception. Real or imagined.

IF the re-refining process were to improve to the point you could claim NextGen was a 'superior' product to VWB. Just think of the upside down world a lot of minds would wake up to on such a day!!!
laugh.gif

According to the FTA used/recycled oil does not need to be labeled as such.This was so recyclers would have an easier time selling recycled oil not having the stigma of used oil.

A lot of oil uses recycled oil already, they do not need to disclose this on the bottle.

This was a marketing ploy by Valvoline.

Recycled base oil does have higher aromatic content than virgin base oil though.

Originally Posted By: Vince_R
The brother works for a garage and tells me that even though they use only valvoline products he has never used it in a customers car. and the friend at the auto parts store says that in working there for a year he has maybe sold 100 dollars worth of it.
I don't mean to get political at all but this kind of thing is an unfortunate truth when it comes to energy. I work in the electric utility industry and what we have found with our customers is, everyone SAYS they want green energy but NONE of them are willing to pay for it.

I suspect that, unfortunately, Nextgen falls into this category. People aren't willing to pay the same or more for a partially recycled product, even if all the data in the world says it's every bit as good as new.

All motor oil companies should blend recycled oil in just like tyre companies do. It cost more to market and shelf two oils which basically have the same specs.

Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable
The brother works for a garage and tells me that even though they use only valvoline products he has never used it in a customers car. and the friend at the auto parts store says that in working there for a year he has maybe sold 100 dollars worth of it.
I don't mean to get political at all but this kind of thing is an unfortunate truth when it comes to energy. I work in the electric utility industry and what we have found with our customers is, everyone SAYS they want green energy but NONE of them are willing to pay for it.

I suspect that, unfortunately, Nextgen falls into this category. People aren't willing to pay the same or more for a partially recycled product, even if all the data in the world says it's every bit as good as new.

I'm using it now and plan on using it again. I would probably not want to pay MORE for it, but at the same price as regular VWB or any equivalent oils, I am happy to buy NextGen instead.
It's everyone's responsibility to chip in some way or another and I think NextGen is the future. I really believe in products such as this and G-oil.

yes and that is why they want wind power until you tell them the KW/hr price is higher, they think it should be cheaper until their rate goes up and then they blame the Utility even though the PUC forced the purchasing of the wind power.
Green is just marketing and Next Gens problem is they want a 1$ premium. At Walmart they wanted like 22$ for 5Qt jug when you can buy all the dinos for 15-17$ a jug and QSUD for 20$.

Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back