Valvoline Gear Oil - SynPower vs Flexfill 75w-140. Same product in different package or different product?

A bit confused by Valvoline's 75w-140 Gear Oil. Getting ready to do a change on my Ram 3500 rear diff. I plan on using 75w-140. I thought about Amsoil but have decided to use Valvoline. Here is were I get a bit confused. I see the following 75w-140 options

Valvoline SynPower SAE 75W-140 Full Synthetic Gear Oil 1 - This in a plastic 1 quart bottle and is about $20 on amazon.​

Valvoline Flexfill SAE 75W-140 Full Synthetic Gear Oil 1 QT - This is a squeeze 1 quart bag and 4 quarts are about $55 on amazon.​

There would be a about a $25 price difference on 4 quarts.

So I called Valvoline and explained that I saw these two options - what is the difference in the SynPower and Flexfill; they are both 75w-140 and synthetic. She said she believe they only offered a flexfill bag not a bottle now and they should be the same. The more I look at this - that just does not seem plausible. I see Synpower in bottle and Flexfill Synthetic 75w-140 at various retailers on-line.

She did tell me that the Flexfill would work great in my Ram and I would not need to add any LS additive - the Flex fill already had a sufficient amount for the Ram. Which was good info.

Can someone confirm that these are indeed the same product just in different packages or highlight the difference between the two?

Too bad you don't have a Walmart near you : $13.99 per quart for the squeeze.

I don't know on the difference, but I would guess the squeeze is equivalent or better.

I used the squeeze 75w90 in my rear differential, and 2000 miles later, no complaints.

I was under the impression that it's the same oil, it's just at many retailers they've phased out the classic gear oil bottle for the more user friendly pouch.
It looks like they now don't show anything but the pouch on their website, the gear oil bottle is old discontinued packaging while the pouch is the current packaging it appear.

Too bad you don't have a Walmart near you : $13.99 per quart for the squeeze.

I don't know on the difference, but I would guess the squeeze is equivalent or better.

I used the squeeze 75w90 in my rear differential, and 2000 miles later, no complaints.

Same at my Wally. Running it in Outback now.

I have never used a flex bag, always a xfer hand pump. Not opposed to it. Still working down my Castrol Syntrax LS 75W-90 stash from when it was $5 bottle at AZ. Can you get all the oil out of the bag into the diff?

From a couple videos I have seen on YT it appears they have pretty good luck getting the fluid out of the bags. But it might just be how the fill plug is in relation to other parts on the vehicle.

Well, I guess the consensus is it is the same fluid in different packaging. Interesting they removed the Synpower labeling ... that seemed to be a common term across their oil line. As for the gear oil, I will just pick some up and not worry about the package it is in.

Well, I guess the consensus is it is the same fluid in different packaging. Interesting they removed the Synpower labeling ... that seemed to be a common term across their oil line. As for the gear oil, I will just pick some up and not worry about the package it is in.
The gear oil was one of the last things that still said synpower, they dropped that name a good 5 years ago on motor oil and started calling it Valvoline Advanced Synthetic.

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to get some of the 75w-145 in the bags. I guess it was just a new package and branding. Im sure it will do fine the the rear diff.

Old thread but I hope the oil is authentic Valvoline. I bought a case of 12 of the 75w90 bottles a few weeks ago when it was $99 and free shipping, only $8.25/qt.

Back