Valvoline 75w90 Conventional (VV820)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have experience with Valvoline conventional 75w90? Would a conventional 75w90 gear oil shear faster or offer less protection than a synthetic gear oil of the same weight? I found a good deal on some (VV820) and I am thinking about trying it. It can be had for less than $2/quart online(clearance price), which I think is a good deal if it's a good product. I am thinking I may use it in my mom's 2016 4Runner front and rear diffs and possibly my sister's 05 Trailblazer. I've also kicked around the idea of just using locally sourced 80w90, it can be had at it's regular price of ~$3.25/quart and is always readily available. The 4runner specs 75w85 and the Trailblazer specs synthetic 75w90. Neither vehicle tows anything or experiences any extreme cold or hot temperatures.
Valvoline High Performance Gear Oil PI Sheet

Last edited:
Valvoline 75W90 conventional gear oil is what I use in the front and rear diff of our Forester. No issues with it and it is easy to find and it meets the GL5 standard as my OM recommends. Put it in and forget about it for I will likely trade the Forester long before another gear oil change is due and that is every 60K per the maint schedule or 30k for severe service.

I would use syn if it is specified. Outside of that the vv 75w90 will serve you well, and likely so where a syn is called for. I guessing most syn specs are based on the fact that the average driver "might" change fluids one time over the life of the vehicle and they prefer longer drain protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back