Valve noise with M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading through impressions of Mobil 1, it seems that valve noise usually increases with it. If it did, would it show up soon after changing it? I put M1 in my 2004 CR-V for the first time (wanted Pennzoil Platinum, but Autozone didn't have it in 5W-20), and so far, nothing seems any different after commuting for two days. Either that, or I'm used to valve train clatter on my MG, which is probably louder than the Honda will ever be
lol.gif

If your CR-V was going to be noisier, it should be apparent very quickly. Before I knew of the "allegtions" of increased noise with M1, I ran it (5W20) in my Civic and was distressed to hear the valve noise. After then finding this site and searching a bit and discovering lots of comments to this effect, I switched to Pennzoil Platinum - it was MUCH louder. Back to Chevron Supreme and much quieter and idle seems a bit smoother.

Thanks for the info, I figured if it was going to be noisy it would show up very quickly. To answer Winston's question, I guess this would be new M1, since I bought it this week.

On my BMW, i found Mobil 1 0w40 to be noisy (including valves)compared to conventional oil or Mobil 1 15w50. Now that I am running Castrol Syntec 5w50, noise seem to very minimal

My impression is that in most cases it doesn't cause any additional noise. I had 3 toyota V8's that all made more noise with M1 (I still ran it), no other car or truck I have ever put it in had a noticeable change in noise.

I've used M1 for 10 years, so didn't notice noise switching TO it. I did notice noise compared to other similar cars owned by others, but blamed my engine for being noisy.

When switching AWAY from M1 on my current BMW with the M52 i6, I noticed in 5 seconds how much quieter it was.

So, yes, I would say that if your engine was going to make more noise, it would right away. Not everyone's does.

In my case it was the low/medium pitch cam noise that is most noticeable as being missing - not lifter and valve clatter and hash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back