Strange Observation regarding Engine Vibration

2019 Honda Accord, 1.5T. 0w20 oil. Quaker State Full Synthetic and Purolator One Filter. Also changed the plugs to NGK Lazer ILZKAR8JSY, which are the OE equivalents.

Recently noted several annoying buzzing and rattles within the dash.
They are mostly sympathetic vibrations that correlate with certain engine RPMs.
Tried to figure out the issue, but came up empty.
The weird thing was how suddenly it started.

Then I realized that it likely started after I changed the oil. Until this point, I had been having a local dealer change it (I usually do it myself, but life was way too busy).
The engine doesn't seem any louder, but I think the oil is resulting in more or different vibrations that are being passed into some components within the dash. I know from experience that some oils can result in more noise in certain engines (2 of my old cars were much noisier at all times with M1 5w30, for example).

This isn't a knock against the oil--I'm sure it is very high quality...and I can't be sure that this is the issue until the next oil change.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Bob<---hopefully not losing my mind.

I'd guess it's not the oil but something that happened during the change. Like a motor mount broke putting it on the lift or something like that.

Oh goody..I'm a loon. :)

Edited to add: I did check the mounts and dampers, didn't note anything unusual. Look intact.
Bob

Last edited:
The oil will not have an effect on vibrations -- unless the level is WAY off and stressing the engine.

You mentioned new spark plugs. Were they gapped and torqued to spec?

Last edited:
Plugs were "Laser," and properly gapped.
The mounts idea was a good one.

I know it is a stretch, but I don't think it is impossible.
If a different oil can change the sound of an engine (I've heard it many times) then it is plausible that it could create vibration at a different frequency.

Anyway, thanks for the input!

Bob

Ps I'm a former master wrench-drivability-and tracked down down some weird stuff, so my perspective is unique.

Back