Valentines day.....not the happest day for me,

Plus, there are many more ways to express yourself. Dig out the old woodburning kit and say, "I Love You" on a hunk of wood...or make her a grilled cheese sandwich. No need to sidestep nor displace you dear memories, add new ones. Go childish and original.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry......hmmm...you've cried enough!

My Grandma DID say (I swear), "Turn around and face front".

Condolences as well.

Y'all are actually telling him, because a silly 'Hallmark holiday' like Valentine's Day inconveniently falls on a painful anniversary for him, that he just needs to suck it up and think of his new girlfriend first? You guys are out of your minds.

There's 364 other days in the year she can make it all about her, but this one is his and she should understand that. If she doesn't then she isn't a keeper.

I'm going to be the contrary side of this... At least in way...

Maybe the gf should possibly..... Understand it more from your perspective...

What if the roles were 180 degrees opposite... And she was married on February 14th and married 30 years. And it was only 3 years ago that her husband had passed away from this Earth.

How would she feel ?

And how should you handle it and feel ???

And how would you expect her how to handle it and how would you feel if this was totally opposite ??

Just thinking about circumstances 180 degrees different and outside of our own box... Can be very helpful and enlightening at times.

Just my thought here.

It's just another vapid routine and nothing more than a business opportunity. I'm not anti-Valentine's Day but I also don't see it as essential to be observed. There are 365.2 days in the average year and as many days on which you may profess or or show your affection.

Mmmm, maybe a bit. Valentine's day is a easy day to get through. Any inference of being outgoing is magnified 10x. I lost my sweetie 9 years ago. It has taken a few years to get back in the swing of relationships. This Valentines Day I am not able to visit my new sweetie, she has a bad case of the flu. She will be missed today. She didn't get a flu shot. Never got a straight answer to that question. 🤔
To update this post. My sweetie has COVID. That sucks. 2 weeks till I can hang around her. She is still waiting for the doctor to prescribe a course of action.

I say even a small gesture is better than none on a certain Hallmark holiday. It’s not like Valentines Day is a obligation for a bottle of Dom Perignon or a reservation to a Michelin Star restaurant.

I’m 37 - I doubt I’ll ever meet someone and get married(my parents keep on asking me that question but certain races aren’t seen as suitable partners unless their marriages are arranged or a certain type we won’t talk about here) so it’ll always be Singles Awareness Day to me. I highly, highly doubt the person for me is out there.

I got married on Feb 14th 1994....My wife died June 8th 2018. My current GF who is a retired nurse who treats me well has never married and has no kids. I have no kids just cats....I joke im the crazy old man at the end of the street with all the cats. I told her Im not big on Valentines day and why....of course she get her feelings hurt etc.....no red roses etc....I told again today is a very bad for me....and will be for the rest of my life....we have 364 more days a year but today is not one of them....I was with my wife almost 30 years .....
Am i being a Jack -Ass ?
No, she is.

I think if you were in love with this girl you would have thought of her on Valentines Day instead your stuck on your wedding day with your past wife.
Your girlfriend is in the present you need to be too, if not you guys should move on because clearly she doesn’t feel like the most special person in your life and that’s no way to live.
Valentines Day is special to her and to many woman and girls. Doesn’t matter if someone thinks it’s commercial, there are many special ways to show thought for your loved one to feel special

Last edited:
On Valentine's Day I was told I am required to get my wife flowers. After 46 1/2 years of marriage I think I know a little about how to keep my wife around and it is not with flowers. On the other hand, I know she liked the two chocolate bars I got for her. Besides, our two anniversaries (the day we met and the day we got married) are far more important.

If she understands what February 14 means to you, maybe she'd be okay with the two of you coming up with an alternate date for "your" Valentine's Day? Maybe January 14th or March 14th, or the day of your first date...

On Valentine's Day I was told I am required to get my wife flowers. After 46 1/2 years of marriage I think I know a little about how to keep my wife around and it is not with flowers. On the other hand, I know she liked the two chocolate bars I got for her. Besides, our two anniversaries (the day we met and the day we got married) are far more important.
I got my wife roses when we were dating. She got them and went into a sneezing fit. I married the only woman in the bloody world allergic to...roses.

Back