Vacation House Rental

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Going to rent a house for a week in
Florida. New area I am unfamiliar with. Honestly would you scan it for cameras or listening devices right away?
I'd like to think it is unnecessary but
past experiences dictate otherwise.

Now-a-days nothing would surprise me. I would point blank ask the renter. It is a privacy thing. It also wouldn't hurt to look around, but man those little cameras/listening bugs could go anywhere. Bring duct tape if you find something questionable.

Do you scan places that you are familiar with ?
No because it was one private owner I rented from for over 25 years.
This place is not privately owned. New to me.
Sure if I scanned a familiar place who wouldn't scan a unfamiliar place.
The new rental has a no camera policy but how much faith can you put in that.
But my question was to others. Me- yes I will scan it as soon as I get in there.

What kind of equipment do you use to scan for cameras and listening devices?

Mk-1 Eyeball?

Honest question just because if I were going to look for stuff I'd say look. Is there something you can buy?

If you find anything you should be able to sue their rear end completely off.
While creepy, on what grounds can you sue someone ? The property/residence belongs to the 'owner' so they have every right to put security measures in place. Should they tell guests or tenants ? Sure, I think they should. Do they legally have to ? That I'm not so sure about. I do know with Airbnb, you are NOT allowed to have cameras (and/or listening devices) without disclosing that they are there.

While creepy, on what grounds can you sue someone ? The property/residence belongs to the 'owner' so they have every right to put security measures in place. Should they tell guests or tenants ? Sure, I think they should. Do they legally have to ? That I'm not so sure about. I do know with Airbnb, you are NOT allowed to have cameras (and/or listening devices) without disclosing that they are there.
I’m going to leave this one to the lawyers. I believe the precedent has been set. You can’t film your guests using the toilet, amoung other things. ;)

Last edited:
Back