USPS lost my sample!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I had a 30,000 mile service interval on my 2001 Audi A4 last month. The oil was Mobil 1 5W30 and it had about 9700 miles on it.

I had it all wrapped up in the Blackstone kit and sent it via USPS. Almost a month later Blackstone says they don't have it, so it is pretty safe to say, "it was lost in the mail".

At the 40,000 mile mark, I will try again with the Mobil 1 0W40 that is in it now.

I really wanted to compare the 5W30 and the 0W40.....oh well...Curt

That's been happening a lot lately.

I had a customer that the USPS lost their sample. I got Amsoil involved and he got reimbursed, but still didn't help with the lost oil.

I think the USPS is getting freakier now since 911. They don't want to ship anything that even looks dangerous(which used oil isn't) The box will burn before the oil will!

quote:

Originally posted by Curtis Newton:
I had it all wrapped up in the Blackstone kit and sent it via USPS. Almost a month later Blackstone says they don't have it, so it is pretty safe to say, "it was lost in the mail".

Guess the Insurance check for what??? 100.00 is just gonna have to do...

I always take my sample in a glass quart jar. It doesn't melt (can break though so handling is important) and if your sample is lost you have enough to send in another. If everything looks good on the analysis and I don't need a second sample to another lab for comparison, I dump it in my used oil that gets recycled and clean the quart jar with joy dishwashing soap. Dry it and it is ready for the next sample.
cheers.gif

I now send my oil sample in a USPS priority envelope so no one can see that "scary black bottol"! So far so good!

Also those cheep Ziplock containers are good to take a back up sample.

I'm the guy that lost his sample by USPS. On another occasion it got there, but took a week to go from Chicago to Cleveland. I do two things now:
1. I keep a 2nd sample in a clean class jar just in case.
2. I use UPS. They cost more (about $4.70 vs $1.75)but you can track it, it is insured, and it arrives in two days. No hassle from USPS employees and no more sleepless nights worrying about a lost sample.
UPS may cost more, but if the P.O. loses your $20-$30 sample you may wish you had spent extra on shipping.
Frustrating isn't it?
mad.gif

Guys and Gals, why don't you just use an extra sample bottle? If you are this ahhhem retentive about your oil samples, then order the bottles for your second sample in BULK, and pull them both at the same time. Then when the lab gets it you can toss the one at the house.

quote:

Originally posted by White Fang:
I'm the guy that lost his sample by USPS. On another occasion it got there, but took a week to go from Chicago to Cleveland. I do two things now:
1. I keep a 2nd sample in a clean class jar just in case.
2. I use UPS. They cost more (about $4.70 vs $1.75)but you can track it, it is insured, and it arrives in two days. No hassle from USPS employees and no more sleepless nights worrying about a lost sample.
UPS may cost more, but if the P.O. loses your $20-$30 sample you may wish you had spent extra on shipping.
Frustrating isn't it?
mad.gif

Your UPS shipping to Blackstone cost $4.70? You are so very lucky. I just sent my sample out today....by UPS....did not want our postal workers to have kittens when they see the sinister black canister.....cost me $6.58.

I believe there is a price difference between the Mail Boxes Inc. outlets and the fully-owned by UPS "UPS Shipping Terminals." The latter, of course, are cheaper.

Well, I just got the word, my oil sample made it afterall...it just took 2 months! I will be posting it tonight.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
"Mr. Postman, Please EXPEDITE! Semen sample enclosed"

I think that maybe some of these samples could be coming untwisted and the PO has to figure to whom it belongs. I know my CAPS will come unscrewed, so I paint rubber cement in the lid before I send it to make sure it doesn't come loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back