Another USPS Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to mail a sample at the post office today. I was all ready to deal with problems, armed with the letter from the Blackstone website.

Sure enough, "what is the contents?"

I told him "engine oil"

"We can't ship that!"

I told him that I knew there may be a problem considering that numerous people thoughout the US have had the same problems trying to ship used oil for analysis. I told him I had a letter to explain why my package was not regulated by the USPS code regarding flammible liquids.

I then showed him the letter. He began to read it and immediatly blurted out - "OIL IS FLAMMIBLE!"

Then I tried to explain to him (as nice as I could be) what flash point means, what a flash point has to be to be considered flammible & combustable, and how it applies to my package. I also explained that the company I work for sends an oil sample out via the corner mailbox at least once a week. I guess this was a mistake on my part - opps. He told me he turned a guy away last week who was trying to ship oil. He was getting more defensive by the minute. I finally realized I was going to get no where with this guy. I asked to speak to his supervisor. At this point he suddenly changed his attitude & said, "well, I guess we can try it - it be $1.75"

I hope it makes it - maybe UPS is the way to go from now on.

Blackstone obviously knows there is a problem. Why don't these labs contact the post office & straigten this out. It seems like they would have a louder voice & need the post office to work for them to stay in business.

Why not just buy a postage scale, weigh it, stamp it and drop it in the mailbox? I believe you can mail a parcel below 16 oz without having to go through the clerk behind the counter.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Why not just buy a postage scale, weigh it, stamp it and drop it in the mailbox? I believe you can mail a parcel below 16 oz without having to go through the clerk behind the counter.

RE: "I told him "engine oil""We can't ship that!"

I agree with Pscholte. Why bother to deal with the bumbling, incompetent civil servents who define the oxymoron "Postal Service?" Just put on the postage that Blackstone defines or put it on a postal scale. Drop it in a mailbox.

Unless you get a special pleasure out of dealing with idiots, just bypass them. It is a lot easier anyway. Why go out of your way to have a problem?

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
Tried to mail a sample at the post office today. I was all ready to deal with problems, armed with the letter from the Blackstone website.

Sure enough, "what is the contents?"

I told him "engine oil"

"We can't ship that!"

I told him that I knew there may be a problem considering that numerous people thoughout the US have had the same problems trying to ship used oil for analysis. I told him I had a letter to explain why my package was not regulated by the USPS code regarding flammible liquids.

I then showed him the letter. He began to read it and immediatly blurted out - "OIL IS FLAMMIBLE!"

Then I tried to explain to him (as nice as I could be) what flash point means, what a flash point has to be to be considered flammible & combustable, and how it applies to my package. I also explained that the company I work for sends an oil sample out via the corner mailbox at least once a week. I guess this was a mistake on my part - opps. He told me he turned a guy away last week who was trying to ship oil. He was getting more defensive by the minute. I finally realized I was going to get no where with this guy. I asked to speak to his supervisor. At this point he suddenly changed his attitude & said, "well, I guess we can try it - it be $1.75"

I hope it makes it - maybe UPS is the way to go from now on.

Blackstone obviously knows there is a problem. Why don't these labs contact the post office & straigten this out. It seems like they would have a louder voice & need the post office to work for them to stay in business.

you took a chance by letting him take it. I think someone on this board said they got into it with a usps clerk and the sample was mailed. but the lab never got the sample. some people don't have any pride in their job. it's like arguing with a fast food worker and they spit in your food.
nono.gif

quote:

Well I order all my engine oil and gear oil through mail order and there is no hazard charge for being a chemical. So it can't be that bad.

Did you tell him that a standard letter is much more flammible then oil and will light much sooner then your sample will.
pat.gif

Kinda makes you think you were shopping at WAL-MART.
dunno.gif

CRW
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back