Using Pennzoil Ultra now might switch to Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1997 Honda Civic HX and 2003 Chevy Cavalier which both use 5W-30 motor oil. I have been using Pennzoil Ultra full synthetic 5W-30 in both cars for the past two years, but it is now not sold anywhere locally. Wal Mart recently stopped carrying Ultra in all the stores by me. I am a huge fan of this motor oil and I was changing it every 5 to 6 thousand miles in both cars.

I am thinking of switching to Mobil 1. What are some of the differences and test results of Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Mobil 1 High milage and Mobil 1 motor oils when compared to Pennzoil Ultra?

I am more concerned with protecting the engines life in my cars with the best motor oil over any oil that would add some extra fuel efficiency. The Honda gets 39 mpg using Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 which is fantastic already. It is all about extending the engines life to the maximum for me in that car which runs like new.

I used Mobil 1 in my CRV and the valvetrain sounded like an old sewing machine. Mind you this was probably three years ago and the formula may have changed. I've since used Mobil 1 EP as well as all other well known synthetics and never had loud valvetrain noise again.

I noticed my local walmart no longer carries PU either. I would use PP if you've been happy with Pennzoil products.

Mobil 1 5w-30 does not compare to Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30.

Ultra can be compared to something like Amsoil Signature.

I would prefer Pennzoil Platinum for its slightly higher VI, and lower volatility that likely indicates a more advanced base stock. However, Mobil 1 does have a nice additive package with plenty of Boron...

Check out Quaker State Ultimate Durability. Its pretty cheap, but dont let the price fool you. According to PQIA website, it seems to have an edge over Platinum (weird)

Last edited:
Reg M1 5-30 will compete with any 5-30 including PU. I have seen many engines of mine and family and friends go way in excess of 300K with M1 5-10-30 all doing at least 10K OCIs and some up to 20K OCIs.

Last edited:
I would like to ask has anyone seen an engine fail even using lower quality oils when changed properly and not neglected. I know some people who just keep adding or topping off for 50-60,000 miles between dino changes that get 300,000 miles on their vehicles. Not that I am advocating this type of maintenance but I have not seen an engine fail except when neglected to the point of not topping off and getting too low or oil pump going out.

Sure, an engine will run just fine on low quality and infrequent oil changes. The engine wont fail, but how well will it run after 50-60k miles of unchanged dino oil? Likely be unpleasant to drive.

IMHO, changing this oil at 5-6k is a complete waste.
You might as well run PYB or Mobil Super 5k.

Originally Posted By: Moab
I have a 1997 Honda Civic HX and 2003 Chevy Cavalier which both use 5W-30 motor oil. I have been using Pennzoil Ultra full synthetic 5W-30 in both cars for the past two years, but it is now not sold anywhere locally. Wal Mart recently stopped carrying Ultra in all the stores by me. I am a huge fan of this motor oil and I was changing it every 5 to 6 thousand miles in both cars.

I am thinking of switching to Mobil 1. What are some of the differences and test results of Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Mobil 1 High milage and Mobil 1 motor oils when compared to Pennzoil Ultra?

I am more concerned with protecting the engines life in my cars with the best motor oil over any oil that would add some extra fuel efficiency. The Honda gets 39 mpg using Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 which is fantastic already. It is all about extending the engines life to the maximum for me in that car which runs like new.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Try the M1 EP.

Since Pennzoil Ultra is hard to find, Mobil 1 EP is comparable to Ultra in its robust additive package and will do well.

After that, I'd rate Pennzoil Platinum and standard Mobil 1 as close to equal.

Mobil 5000 at that short of interval will be perfect. That oil has been very impressive and only about $12.97 for jug at WM.

I know the SOPUS crowd will probably disagree, but try it and you all will see.

PP, PU, M1, M1 EP, M1 HM...

Changing any of these synthetic oils in 6000 miles is wasting money. You could get just as good protection from high quality conventionals over a 6000 mile OCI.

I'd switch to PP or even QSUD.
Either oil will do well and either is probably the equal of M1 5W-30.
If you want to use M1, I'd use 0W-30 AFE in your applications.
If you want to do 5-6K drains, fine, but you don't really need any synthetic oil to do so, much less M1 EP.

I like all of your guy's opinions and good advice. I read the forums on here two years ago quite a bit which led me to using Pennzoil Ultra. I wanted to use one of the best motors oils on the market for my cars. Glad to find out that many of you think Pennzoil Ultra is one of the best motor oils to use.

I WISH IT WAS NOT BECOMING HARD TO FIND LOCALLY! I do not think I should switch motor oils after reading several people's comments. I have enough Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 in the garage to keep topping both of my cars oil off at the full level until both of them are around 10,000 miles each.

Where is the best place to order Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 (not the euro version)?

At what milage would you guy's who actually use Pennzoil Ultra change your oil at?

Originally Posted By: Moab
Where is the best place to order Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 (not the euro version)?

Read your PM. I sent you the link yesterday.

My Kitacamry ran real nicely with PYB 5w-30 but I decided to go with PP 5w-30 and it runs even "nicelier"...

...that I just got 2 jugs of PP + 2 K&N filters for $5/per OC after rebate is even nicelier yet...that takes care of Kitacam and me for the next 18 months by which time I'm sure that there'll be another rebate offer...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back