Using an old CRT TV set for Amazon Prime video?

I’m not well-informed on home theater and streaming. My TV learning pretty much ended with the DVD era. We have an old TV in our bedroom that isn’t hooked up and probably hasn’t been used in 10 years. It’s from the last generation of CRT televisions before flat screens replaced them, so it has component video inputs but no hdmi or usb. I want to start watching Amazon Prime video in the bedroom and I know I can just buy a cheap LED flat screen with Wi-Fi for less than $100 but I wouldn’t mind keeping this old TV out of the landfill a little longer if I could.

Is it possible to buy something like a Roku box and use an hdmi to component video adapter to watch streaming TV through my old dinosaur? Or do I need to just bite the bullet and buy a modern set?

Give the TV to someone that plays old video game consoles and buy a new TV, I'm not sure if those HDMI to component converters will work because of the type of DRM used on HDMI.

Sounds like you would need an HDMI to RCA adapter for a Roku . Think the below describes it a bit more. I'd go with the cheapest Roku in that case.

The Roku Express circa 2018 came with RCA cables (can probably check ebay for that.

Back in the day I had a Sony Blu-Ray player that did Amazon and had component outs. Sadly, Amazon put the kibosh on that.

There are cheap converters available but they are spotty depending on what you're trying to do.

Take advantage of the retro craze and sell that CRT on Craigslist or whatever for a few bucks and upgrade to an inexpensive modern TV with the Amazon Fire OS on it if you're an Amazon Prime member. You'd be amazed what you can buy for $100 nowadays.

Sounds like you would need an HDMI to RCA adapter for a Roku . Think the below describes it a bit more. I'd go with the cheapest Roku in that case.

The Roku Express circa 2018 came with RCA cables (can probably check ebay for that.
Thanks for the link. I found this down toward the bottom:

Also, be aware that your picture is not going to be in the proper proportion. The Roku will think your display is 16:9, and the picture you get out of those composite cables will be "squished" tall on a 4:3 display. It won't be letterboxed.​
I think that’s enough to convince me to just buy a new TV.

I attempted to do exactly what you are describing but sadly I got constant HDCP errors.

Only way I found to do it was to use an older Pc with vga out and convert to the tv.

I honestly like streaming on old CRTs but I also have old game systems

Thanks for the link. I found this down toward the bottom:

Also, be aware that your picture is not going to be in the proper proportion. The Roku will think your display is 16:9, and the picture you get out of those composite cables will be "squished" tall on a 4:3 display. It won't be letterboxed.​
I think that’s enough to convince me to just buy a new TV.
I'm not 100% sure that is accurate, might depend on the Roku you get? I have the express+ circa 2018 that I mentioned and an old 19 inch CRT in the attic I have used it on before and I dont recall it being super distorted. That said I would definitely personally just buy a new cheap flat screen.

I'm not 100% sure that is accurate, might depend on the Roku you get? I have the express+ circa 2018 that I mentioned and an old 19 inch CRT in the attic I have used it on before and I dont recall it being super distorted. That said I would definitely personally just buy a new cheap flat screen.
Some devices and even adapters let you change screen dimensions

Driving my Sony Trinitron from vga I can over and underscan using my VGA to TV converter.

In this way I can choose if I want bars, distortion and how much

Just buy the Amazon Fire TV:

Unfortunately, you have to pay to get rid of those tube TV, though.

Nah, tube TVs especially the very large and very small have value to “vintage gamers “

If he lives in a large area he could even get some $$$$ if it’s the “right” set (his description makes it sound desirable)

Worst case a Craigslist curb alert will make it disappear free of charge

Just buy the Amazon Fire TV:

Unfortunately, you have to pay to get rid of those tube TV, though.
If it's just a basic bedroom TV, I'd probably go with the smaller 32" 720p insignia for half the price. If they were still more available I'd say get a basic non-smart set, and get the Roku Ultra LT that's on sale at Walmart for $30, that'll be better than what's built in any Smart TV, and in my experience Roku's work better for non-Amazon apps, when I had FireTV sticks they were fine for Amazon and Netflix, but the Hulu app was absolute trash, and The AT&T U-Verse app and Comcast app would cut out all the time, while the Comcast roku app was rock stable.

1668660037537.jpg

Looks like Bestbuy still has a few non-smart TVs, sucks that you can't get anything Full HD under 40", the 43" Insignia Full HD non-smart TV is $149.99

Does the Amazon TV constanly give you Amazon ads? $299 for a 55" isn't bad but I'm worried about the cost being subsidized by being peppered with ads and bloatware.

No. The free channel (Freeve) will have regular ads like network TV but it is actually shorter duration.
No, it does not show any ads randomly.
You won't need any cable tv anymore, just connect to your Wifi internet.

I don't have cable tv, so I am not sure about HULU, Comcast app, etc.
I just have Prime and use whatever is free from the Fire TV, this is the TV with Fire OS.

Last edited:
I also vote for new TV for your use, then see if you can find a collector of old video games or something - they are out there! I have a client that collects old Atari, Sega Nintendo, ect... and they have a CRT tube tv because of the analog connections (Y,R,W).

Scrap the CRT and put the money for a conversion device/cables towards a new flat panel and enjoy the superior picture quality and far less power consumption.

I have a 19" RCA in the kitchen bought 15 years ago for $20. It just refuses to die. Doubt anyone would give five bucks for it today.
I have a 19” RCA That I inherited from my Grandfather back at my folks place.

Not as sharp anymore as the Trinitron (probably old caps) but it still works great for nes

Wouldn’t hesitate to stream tv on it either and it has a tv converter box and good reception already

far less power consumption.

Don’t be so sure about that.

Per my kill a watt

My friends 1 year old rather “small” LG 4K smart set settles at 65 watts once it’s been used a few minutes, If you use the smart functions I’ve seen it as high as 75 watts streaming 4K content and occasionally as low as 40 watts on SD OTA.

some NEW “large” HD sets are over 200 watts with a few slightly older ones near double that, depending on brightness and the type of set/backlight

This set also draws 4 watts every few minutes when “off” in a blinking fashion

There are edge cases but as tested by my kill-a-watt meter my 27” Trinitron CRT with a digital converter box settles at 65 watts together once warmed up, ( I leave it unplugged when not in use.)

My 19” set is only about 35 watts
and I’ve seen gigantic newer40” CRTs only draw 75 watts (depending on the model)

Because everyone is using a “wall full of light “ sized HD TV you many times use far more juice than a crt because your TV is huge and the CRT isn’t.

The only legitimate argument comes from the parasitic draw of a crt but if you unplug or use a strip it’s a non issue.

I would say everyone should own a cheap killawatt meter as some appliances draw far more juice than you would expect and some of the newer CRTs draw less power than you would expect.

Every TV is different (some CRTs said energy star believe it or not) so it’s worth knowing

Last edited:
I also vote for new TV for your use, then see if you can find a collector of old video games or something - they are out there! I have a client that collects old Atari, Sega Nintendo, ect... and they have a CRT tube tv because of the analog connections (Y,R,W).
I had a 27" Toshiba 4:3 flatscreen CRT TV up until about 15 years ago when I gave it away because it became more or less worthless. I would kill to have that thing back now.

Back