Amazon Fire TV stick $20 for 2 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
It might as well be considering what Comcast charges in my area. I'd rather not have a contract and have a monthly GB allotment than do business with them as, from previous experience, I think they're pieces of S.

If this is your experience, then yes, it'd be difficult for you to make a streaming device like this work. Broadband internet with no monthly data limits is usually within reach of most people, and for anywhere from $30-50 per month. For these folks, streaming devices such as this are very workable.

So, what's the consensus on the Fire-TV stick? I got mine on the $20 first offering. Setup was quick and simple. My son has a Netflix account. We haven't used it. We have Dish network and TWC roadrunner, and there are a whole bunch of features we don't use. I'm beginning to think we may want to downsize our entertainment spending...

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
So, what's the consensus on the Fire-TV stick?

Not sure we can do a consensus thing here. However, I will say, without a doubt, I like the Firestick. It's picture quality is far better than my Roku 2, and it's at least the equal of my Samsung BluRay, but far less glitchy.

I agree; consensus is generally out of the question. I give the Fire TV Stick a 6/10 when considering its retail price. I give it an 8/10 considering we bought it for $19. There are a number of things the Roku products do better in my experience (we have both an older Roku HD and a Roku 3). And if I were buying a stick today, I'd certainly buy a Roku stick for $49 instead of the Fire TV Stick for $39...mostly for interface complaints.

The Fire TV Stick is obviously optimized for the Amazon ecosystem and, although my family has Prime, I don't want to be herded into the Prime channel as the default from my streaming device. The Rokus are agnostic to platform, and a search using the universal search displays results from all channels (Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc). The Fire TV Stick has a search feature, but it display results only from the Amazon channel system. You can search Netflix, but you have to go into the Netflix app and search it individually. You can search Hulu, but you have to go into the Hulu app and search it individually. From that aspect, the interface is pretty clunky/kludgy. If you want only Prime, or mostly Prime, then it's a much better device in my opinion.

Again, for the price I paid for the Fire TV Stick ($19), I think it's a good value. At current retail price, though ($39), I feel that it's a poor value compared with the Roku stick.

Sorry to bring back the old post.

We have 1 Chromecast for the main TV in living room, my wife likes it and she watches some Netflix movies/shows almost every evening for an hour or two.

Some of her friends recommended her this Amazon Fire-TV Stick, she like to have one for the TV in the bedroom.

What are the pros and cons of this device compares with Chromecast ? With Chromecast I have to program a laptop to use it, with Fire-TV Stick I don't need laptop, is it correct ?

Thanks for your inputs.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
What are the pros and cons of this device compares with Chromecast ?

There is a comparison chart right on Amazon's page. Just scroll down...
http://amzn.com/B00GDQ0RMG

Quote:
With Chromecast I have to program a laptop to use it, with Fire-TV Stick I don't need laptop, is it correct ?

That's right. Fire-TV Stick comes with its own remote.

Also, both devices (Chromecast and Fire TV Stick) can be controlled with apps on your smartphone. You don't have to use a laptop. For example, you can install a Netflix app on your smartphone, and it will allow you to cast videos onto Chromecast or Fire TV Stick.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
For example, you can install a Netflix app on your smartphone, and it will allow you to cast videos onto Chromecast or Fire TV Stick.

I take that back. I know you can cast to Chromecast, but I'm not sure if you can cast Netflix to Fire TV Stick from a smartphone. Then again, you don't need to, because you already have a Netflix app inside Fire TV Stick.

Thanks Pete.

I know I can count on you and others for advice/recommendation with these gizmos.

I need to do some research about Roku 2, I have no idea what it is and how to use it.

I also need to learn about using our newly acquired smart phones to control Chromecast.

I don't have Netflix, but I do have Prime and it streams HD quality video pretty well. If only Amazon actually had more stuff that I actually watch on Prime Video. One of the better $20 that I've spent (I know it's at regular price right now so you have to determine if it's a good value for yourself).

I need to do some research about Roku 2, I have no idea what it is and how to use it.

I highly recommend the new Roku 2 over any of the sticks, including the Amazon stick. We bought one, but it lives in the drawer. I think it's too heavily compromised or biased towards Amazon services. I will concede that we haven't used it in months, so it could have new firmware or software by now which makes it better to use.

The Roku stick will have the same good interface as the Roku 2, but it has a slower processor. We have an older Roku HD and, compared to the Roku 3 (which has the same processor as the new Roku 2...confusing), you can really tell a difference in processor speed. The only reason I'd buy a Roku stick over a new Roku 2 is for portability -- if you're going to move it from TV to TV all the time.

Honestly, Roku 2/3 players are so small, I consider them fully portable, just like the sticks.

The only difference is Roku 2/3 requires an actual power adapter, whereas the sticks can be powered from a USB port.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The only difference is Roku 2/3 requires an actual power adapter, whereas the sticks can be powered from a USB port.

While it may work, Amazon says that it requires their power adapter:

"Fire TV Stick cannot be powered directly by your HDTV and should be plugged into your wall."

All of the sticks, including the Fire Stick, can be physically powered by the TV, but in practice, it doesn't work very well. The TV's USB port is typically turned off when the TV is off, meaning whatever is plugged-in to it loses power as well. So, when you turn your TV on, you have to wait 30 seconds for the stick to boot up.

When the stick has its own power source, it's ready to go immediately.

We have one of the first runs of the Fire Stick, and its instruction manual was a little looser in language. It said something to the effect of, "while the Fire TV Stick can be powered by your television, for best results, Amazon recommends using the included AC adapter" (or at least that's how I interpreted what it said).

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
All of the sticks, including the Fire Stick, can be physically powered by the TV, but in practice, it doesn't work very well. The TV's USB port is typically turned off when the TV is off, meaning whatever is plugged-in to it loses power as well. So, when you turn your TV on, you have to wait 30 seconds for the stick to boot up.

Heh... It takes close to 30 seconds for my TV, sat box, and receiver to power up anyway.
smile.gif

But I have the Chromecast plugged into the USB port on the sat box. The sat box keeps this USB port live, even when the sat box itself is powered off.

Dang ! You guys are confusing me know !

So, there are Roku 2/3 and Roku Stick. So many to choose, it is confusing.

My 8-9 years old TV's don't have USB ports(I think), so the external power is needed.

As of now if I buy either Roku thingy it will be used for 1 TV 99% of the time (may be 100%), so portable is not importance.

Unless you're primarily a heavy Amazon Prime Video user, I would probably just go with the new Roku 2. Roku 2 can easily handle Amazon Prime Videos, too, but I can only imagine Amazon's own players are slightly more integrated with that.

My 8-9 years old TV's don't have USB ports(I think), so the external power is needed.

Does it have an HDMI input?

Thanks Pete,

Yes, my TV's have HDMI inputs. Currently the one in bedroom has a DVD player connected to 1 HDMI and there are at least 2 more HDMI inputs that can be used for external source such as Roku.

No, I don't have Amazon Prime, so Amazon Prime Video capable isn't required/needed. The Roku 2 will be used mainly for watching some movies/shows on Netflix.

So, Roku 2 is the one I should buy. I was very lucky that I asked about these high-tech gadgets, and received valuable suggestions/advices from you and others.

Again, thank you so much for your time in giving me these advices.

Okay...a word about Roku versions -- be sure to check the actual MODEL NUMBER on the unit. Roku has changed it's "version" numbering lately. There have been three Roku 2 boxes sold -- the first Roku 2 was part of the "2nd generation" Roku family, called the Roku 2 HD, Roku 2 XD, or Roku 2 XS. All had the same 600 MHz processor.

The second Roku 2 was part of the "3rd generation" Roku family, model 2720, but it shared the same 600 MHz processor as the previous models.

The Roku 2 that you want is also part of the "3rd generation" Roku family, but it is model number 4210, and it has the newer 900 MHz processor that debuted in the first Roku 3 (model number 4200). The new Roku 3 (model number 4230) has some features that the Roku 2 lacks, but there aren't many.

Here is a matrix listing all of the boxes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

One feature the new Roku 2 lacks, which I do like on our Roku 3, is Wi-Fi remote. The Roku 2 has only IR remote, which means the remote has to be pointing at the Roku 2 box, and the Roku 2 box has to be visible. With Wi-Fi remote, your remote doesn't have to see the box, nor does it have to be pointing at anything in particular. You can mount the Roku 3 box behind your TV or in a hidden area if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back