Amazon Fire TV stick $20 for 2 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
I'm CALLING in stupid here.....let's say I got a newer, good Samsung TV with HDMI ports and USB hubs. What all exactly would I need to use one of these "stick" things? I got a Wi-fi that cranks out about 6-10 MPS that I use for the phones, tablet, 3DS and my printer. That's it. Do I have to purchase a special tablet, like an Amazon Fire, or something to make it work? Or do I simply plug in the stick, help it find my wifi, and then that's it? Yeah, I know, REALLY behind the all-things-computer club here, but I just have to ask. Please, be gentle if you reply.

if you truly got a new Samsung, it already has "smarthub" and already should be able to get netflix, amazon prime, and other apps.

So there's little need to then buy the amazon fire stick. The features it is providing is already built into your samsung!
See Tbird97's prior reply on 12/16.
Newer samsungs also support miracast, so you can fling your kindle fire tablet onto the TV which is probably the other main feature of the fire tv stick

I think the better question is what content do you want to watch on your tv, or what is it you think you need, and then we can advise if you already have it built-in, need a stick or something else to get it.

It's true what yatseng said.
However, when I compare the SAME app (Youtube, amazon VOD etc) on the smart hub of my Panasonic, and the Fire stick, I must say i thought the Fire stick's PQ did look a bit crispier and UI was a BIT faster too. This may depend a lot on the TV.

In my case, the stick will eventually do bedroom duty, and the Roku3 (best of all 3 in every area) will still be the main streaming device in the living room. (for me, except DLNA, the TV's built in apps will take place of backup, in case the roku3 or Fire stick is nor working for some reason)

I have older 52" flat screen TV Sharp Aquos I bought in 2006-2007, my daughter bought me a Dell tablet and something plug into a HDMI port (may be an Amazon Fire TV stick or may be a Google thingy ?). She then set up everything, now I can watch Netflix on that flat screen with Dell tablet as remote control.

Lost the Netflix account which was entered couple weeks ago. The stick never has lost power, besides I expect it to remember the account detail even when if it had lost power.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Lost the Netflix account which was entered couple weeks ago.

I know on a PC (web browser), Netflix will log you out after some period of time. Possibly the same applies to this Fire TV stick?

Lost the Netflix account which was entered couple weeks ago. The stick never has lost power, besides I expect it to remember the account detail even when if it had lost power.

I've had to re-enter the Netflix account information into our Fire TV Stick once over the past 4-5 weeks. It's continuously plugged in, so I'm not sure what caused the hiccup. I assume it's something within Netflix's structure, because none of my other logged-in applications (Hulu, etc) lost their account information.

At least on my stick, apart from prime, netflix and huluplus there is no other channel at all. There are some junk gaming apps but that is it. Not that I am really interested in loading more apps on it but compared to Roku or AppleTV, this has nothing on it as shipped from the Amazon. Even the Plex app for the Fire Stick was not free and asks for $5.00

Even the Plex app for the Fire Stick was not free and asks for $5.00

Plex is a paid app in general. Is it free on Roku?

I refuse to buy this thing. Competition is good, but I see this flopping against the Chromecast. Especially since Amazon is trying to black-ball Google with no support for an Amazon Chromecast app. I <3 my Chromecast(s).

Aren't all of these devices useless if you don't have an unlimited monthly usage plan?? I have a wireless connection that gives me 5GB per month...I doubt these devices would do me any good unless I'm locked into some trash provider like Comcast who'll charge me $129/mo for the priviledge...

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Aren't all of these devices useless if you don't have an unlimited monthly usage plan?? I have a wireless connection that gives me 5GB per month...I doubt these devices would do me any good unless I'm locked into some trash provider like Comcast who'll charge me $129/mo for the priviledge...

Yes, 5 GB for HD video streaming is not much. You'll use it up in no time.

We currently have internet from ATT for $20/month which has a 250 GB monthly data limit.

You mean wireless as in a cellphone?

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

You mean wireless as in a cellphone?

No. I have a a 3G mobile hotspot that's usually attached to my desktop. I typically don't use the full 5GB of my monthly allotment but I'm sure constant video would bring me to that amount rather quickly. Hence, these USB stick devices are no good for my application.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
comcast just internet is $129 a month?

I really don't think that's accurate

It might as well be considering what Comcast charges in my area. I'd rather not have a contract and have a monthly GB allotment than do business with them as, from previous experience, I think they're pieces of S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back