Amazon fire tv stick. Help!

I'll start out this thread by saying that I am basically the polar opposite of tech savvy. So need to get advice, expressed simply.
I have a Sharp Aquos 60" flatscreen with a Vizio soundbar. Wanted to watch programming not accessible via cable. Tired of watching it on the screen of my thinkpad.
Bought the fire stick (this is the cheapo, the one on sale for $18.) set it up. Have a perfect picture. No audio.
Have it on HDMI3 on the set. Cannot access audio on any of the inputs on the soundbar.
Tried disconnecting the soundbar. Cannot get audio through the speaker on the TV.
I went through all the directions that came with the stick. Clear as mud.
I'm beginning to wonder if I need one of their pods to use this device. However, that is not mentioned on the "What's Needed" part of the directions. All that is mentioned is the High speed internet with wifi and the HDTV with HDMI input (Both of which I have.)
Open for any suggestions and help. Thanks in advance.

I am right there with ya on being non techy. But I found that youtube answers almost all of my questions....the challenge is finding the right video.

Have you tried another HDMI port like #1
Go to YouTube on your cell phone click on any video- It will say send to your TV
see if that brings sound. Mine worked instantly and has for years.
Hard to say but switch ports. Keep batteries handy too as they really eat them up.

When you disconnected the sound bar did you go into the TV's settings and click the built in speakers on.
You know that your stick has settings too- maybe you have the volume set too low or the settings are not right.
Hard to say from here

Have you tried another HDMI port like #1
Go to YouTube on your cell phone click on any video- It will say send to your TV
see if that brings sound. Mine worked instantly and has for years.
Hard to say but switch ports. Keep batteries handy too as they really eat them up.

When you disconnected the sound bar did you go into the TV's settings and click the built in speakers on.
You know that your stick has settings too- maybe you have the volume set too low or the settings are not right.
Hard to say from here

You called it.
I had the volume on on the set, but not up high enough.
Still can't get the audio through the surround, but that's okay.
For the programming that I want to access, surround is not needed.
Thanks again to everyone.

Still can't get the audio through the surround, but that's okay.
From your original post, it is not clear if you're plugging the Fire Stick directly into your TV or into your soundbar. I'm assuming you're plugging it into your TV?

How is the TV connected to the soundbar? Is it via an optical cable? HDMI cable? Something else?

From your original post, it is not clear if you're plugging the Fire Stick directly into your TV or into your soundbar. I'm assuming you're plugging it into your TV?

How is the TV connected to the soundbar? Is it via an optical cable? HDMI cable? Something else?

Have a digital and an optical cord in the back of the surround.
Optical goes to the TiVo.
Fire stick is in the back of the TV.
Sound bar does have an USB. If I plug it into the soundbar, would I get both audio and video?

Have a digital and an optical cord in the back of the surround.
Optical goes to the TiVo.
Fire stick is in the back of the TV.
Sound bar does have an USB. If I plug it into the soundbar, would I get both audio and video?
I am not following you. How is the soundbar connected to the TV?

Are you saying there is a TiVo between your TV and your soundbar and there is no direct audio connection between the TV and the soundbar?

What model soundbar do you have? Does it have HDMI inputs and output?

Last edited:
Soundbar is a Visio SB 3851-CO

It has a blue (Optical) cable going from the back of the soundbar to the TiVo.
It has a digital cable going from the soundbar to a Sony Blueray.
TiVo is connected to TV by a HDMI (In #1 port.)
Soundbar has a HDMI port in the bar.

Soundbar is a Visio SB 3851-CO

It has a blue (Optical) cable going from the back of the soundbar to the TiVo.
It has a digital cable going from the soundbar to a Sony Blueray.
TiVo is connected to TV by a HDMI (In #1 port.)
Soundbar has a HDMI port in the bar.
According to the owner's manual, there are no HDMI ports on this Vizio soundbar model SB3851-CO.

Since both coax and optical audio ports of your soundbar are already being used (by TiVO and by your blueray player), then the only remaining audio input left is the analog one. If your TV has an analog audio output (RCA), then use that to send audio from the TV to your soundbar. This should give you sound on the soundbar when watching stuff on Fire Stick.

According to the owner's manual, there are no HDMI ports on this Vizio soundbar model SB3851-CO.

Since both coax and optical audio ports of your soundbar are already being used (by TiVO and by your blueray player), then the only remaining audio input left is the analog one. If your TV has an analog audio output (RCA), then use that to send audio from the TV to your soundbar. This should give you sound on the soundbar when watching stuff on Fire Stick.

Thanks Quattro.

How does the tv connect with the sound bar? HDMI or optical cable...

Last edited:
If you're able to connect the sound bar via optical cable then you'll be to have all your inputs play over the sound bar.. its possible there is settings otherwise but couldn't say for sure.

I had an issue with my sound bar and FireStick. It was a Sound Settings on the FireStick itself I believe dolby sounding or something. I had to shut dolby off because the SoundBar I have lacks it.

that's your problem.

Connect the soundbar to the TV via optical cable. Set the TV sound settings to the sound car. Connect both the tivo and Fire stick to the HDMI ports on the TV.
Finally. Yes, use the sound bar as a sound bar (connected to the TV via the optical connection) and the TV as a monitor, connected to the media devices via HDMI.

Back