SAMSUNG SOUNDBAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
im missing something, new sound bar.. follow me

Samsung tv lg blueray direct tv (sat tv)

dvd to tv via HDMI

SAT TV to TV set via coax cable

TV to soundbar via optic cable.

when watching sat tv I have sound via the tv speakers and the new soundbar (so bar is working) when switching inputs via the satalite remote to HDMI for DVD watching I have sound via the TV BUT NOTHING out of the soundbar.. Ive tried all I know, I switched dvd players, I tried different HDMI cables, I tried running standard red/white/blue cables from dvd to the tv.. I simply don't understand why im not getting signal to the soundbar from the tv when watching a dvd but I DO get sound when just watching satalite TV.. SO I called customer support from Samsung, 90 minutes later I got no results.. they sent me to advanced tech support and they asked me the same questions as customer support with no positive end results.. any tips, or ideas I would be glad to listen.

I have a Sony Bravia set-up with the Sony sound bar.

Although I do not use the optic cable, I have used the TV set-up menu to turn off the TV speakers so sound is only out of the sound bar.

It may be a circuitry issue so try the above.

There should be an option in the TV menu for PCM/bitstream output for the optical connection, try to toggle it to PCM.

Is your DirecTV receiver HD? If so, it should be connected with an HDMI or component cables. You mentioned it was connected via coax so it sounds like you're going to channel 3 for satellite, if so you're watching an SD picture.

No help but I've nothing but trouble with my Samsung sound bar and the folks at Samsung are no help at all, if the script they follow doesn't fix it "it must be your TV" and so ends an hour of wasted time and frustration.
Samsung use to have great help, but they have gone so low that I will no longer buy their products...shame they were top shelf products and support.

Smoky

Nothing on the Sat system is connected with HDMI. My receiver is 7-8 years old now. To my knowledge it's not a HD box. That said, why does the my system work (soundbar and all) with the satellite ? But the soundbar isn't working with the DVD ? I hate returning the bar as it's obviously working..

Did you go into your TV menu and toggle the output of the optical out between PCM and Bitstream?

no I haven't messed with the output settings, However would that explain why its working with the satellite input but not the HDMI ? I get that it would explain it if it wasn't working at all, but it does work with one signal coming in, but not the other ??

Another vote for changing the tv output settings. Why not just try it and post back here?

The bitstream setting passes the raw digital data from your player through the HDMI cable, TV and to the soundbar. If the soundbar cannot decode this, no sound.

The reason you have sound on satellite is you're feeding it through an analog input and the TV is processing and converting it into basic PCM audio.

I could find no output settings on my Samsung, only input settings and I played with the menues for over a hour snooping. (tv is 8-9 years old) so I took the soundbar into my daughters room equipped with a new Flat screen, plugged it in to the optical output and sha-zam it worked flawless from HDMI TO TV TO BLUERAY.. So, my sons birthday is coming up and im going to retire the old "boob-tube" 37 in room and hang our older flat 32 on his wall and install a new 32 in our room this week.. end of year sales, plenty of good bargains.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
The bitstream setting passes the raw digital data from your player through the HDMI cable, TV and to the soundbar. If the soundbar cannot decode this, no sound.

The reason you have sound on satellite is you're feeding it through an analog input and the TV is processing and converting it into basic PCM audio.

thanks, im sure this is it.. unfortunately in the menues and sub menues I could find no output settings.. old TV I guess (funny, a 8-9 year old Flat panel tv is old).. sheesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back