Fire TV Stick question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the Fire Stick live stream network channels? (NBC, ABC, CBS)

I'm looking for a better TV solution for my 80 year mother. She lives too far away from the broadcast towers to have an antenna. She is presently on the lowest channel package Dish offers, but all she watches is the local channels and sometimes The Weather Channel if there is a weather event. She has good wi-fi internet as she loves her Kendall Fire, so I was wondering if the Fire Stick would meet her TV needs (and also have one less monthly bill).

If you live in the same media market you might be able to stream to her with a slingbox, effectively sharing your cable (if you have it.)

Originally Posted by chainblu

You would need a subscription to a live streaming service such as Hulu Plus, Sling, DirectTV Now, or similar.

Try using a amplified hdtv antenna. I use one at the cabin and it"s 45 miles to the tower, Signal comes in fine except during bad thunderstorm or heavy snowfall. I have it mounted on a six foot steel mast on the side off the house with the antenna three feet above roof line.

We use ROKU, but we don't watch local channels.
I will tell you if she is 80 it has a lot of good old shows on HULU.

As I a kid I didn't appreciate MASH, but I am burning through it now.

You can get local channels with HULU, but it is 54 bucks a month. I have HULU and Netflix on my ROKU. I pay 11.99 a month for commercial free HULU.

As a Youtube TV user I would recommend it. There is also Hulu Live. (Both supported by Amazon Fire)

I'm looking for a better TV solution for my 80 year mother. She lives too far away from the broadcast towers to have an antenna. She is presently on the lowest channel package Dish offers, but all she watches is the local channels and sometimes The Weather Channel if there is a weather event. She has good wi-fi internet as she loves her Kendall Fire, so I was wondering if the Fire Stick would meet her TV needs (and also have one less monthly bill).

Are you trying to get your mother off of a Cable TV package? Not sure if Amazon has apps for NBC, ABC, CBS that you can download? I know in Canada some of the local channels like CBC have apps you can download on the Firestick.

I'm using 4 firesticks, to view my TV content. I'm running IPTV that I'm paying $20 month for my service.

Check this guy on youtube. He's got a lot of options for people on the Firestick. There is an app called Oreo and many other apps that might work for your Mother.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2bWSyTKLRU

Our once 80 year-old mom could not adapt to the new remote control change. Don't confuse mom, or try to interject new electronic technology. I went thru this and also went thru trying to teach the elder how to use a laptop. Yikes!

My advice to pay the dish price increase and let her enjoy the remaining senior years - keeping the electronic things / changes, as simple as possible.

Originally Posted by sopususer
Not sure if she lives in Florida so this isn't an option there, YET, but this is a growing app and probablywill pick up more cities in the future. Also helpful for people in other parts of the country.

https://www.locast.org/

Thanks for posting this! i didn't have any idea it existed, and looks like i can stream most of the basic cable channels for free in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back