best option for internet based (real time) TV ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been looking around for a way to get rid of DISH.... We use NETFLIX and used to use Amazon Prime (canceled due to quality and costs. I have looked into HULU a while back, at the time we were not really satisfied there either ( I have since been told its better now).

Here is the issue other then the kids, her and I really only watch a few channels and only do this through DVR. It is impossible for us to sit and watch TV throughout the week, so we catch up on the weekends. BUT..... We are trying to find an alternative TV source that is "up to date"... Example: we watch NCIS, we are not interested in being a season behind ! It seems most of these streaming services are "behind" a season or so. NCIS runs on Tuesdays on CBS, we are looking for something that has the new episode up within a few days or so.

Is there anything out there that is current ? If its a week or a few days behind, that is fine, but not by an entire year or two...

We really only need our local channels and a few others Spike, History, Discovery, TLC and other educational channels. At this point the kids do not watch a lot of TV and when they do its usually through NETFLIX or YOUTUBE. We have a smart TV in the living room FWIW...

Any thoughts or suggestions ???

If you're looking at the major networks, just go to their site, and they'll have the last episode up. You maybe only 1 week behind at most.
For example for your NCIS, go to CBS.com and check it out, there's the latest NCIS episode.
However, it's somewhat fragmented and not a unified platform for the different channels. I'm not sure if smartTVs have a cbs.com "app" that makes it simplier.

If you got so many different shows on different channels, there isn't a legal super simple way for you to do it yet, other than just get a dvr box and a cable/dish provider subscription.

Last edited:
I use a Roku 3 (HD) currently, it does a decent job-but it would be much better if it was hardwired with an ethernet cable directly to my router. Unfortunately my ISP (TWC) has ancient coax cable & pole wiring, causing erratic download speeds, when fiber makes it's long awaited arrival, (Cinti. Bell), I'll be in business.

Roku Plus, you can go to their site and see if they have everything you want, works great, just like a DVR. TONs of stuff available.
We use three in our house and our daughter uses one at college, all under the same account. I think only two at one time can be used per account.

Last edited:
We already have the options of ROKU on our TV. I looked at SLING today, and I am considering trying that.

I am not opposed to utilizing a few different services, it would still be cheaper then DISH. With a streaming based service I should not need DVR, since it would be on demand.

These "free local channel antennas" do not work very well in my area. As far as my internet connection, that is also part of the equation we will be upgrading once we settle on a new TV resolution.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Roku Plus, you can go to their site and see if they have everything you want, works great, just like a DVR. TONs of stuff available.
We use three in our house and our daughter uses one at college, all under the same account. I think only two at one time can be used per account.

What is a Roku Plus? Googling the term seems to return standard Roku boxes.

No, like I mentioned above they do not work well here. I am surrounded by mountains and Harrisburg is the closest broadcasting station, it is 60 miles away. But with the mountains it acts like 100+...

Sling TV
31.gif

Make sure to use the trial, and watch it during heavy traffic hours before you spend any money. When I trialed it back in September of last year, it was not ready for prime time. I would drop Netflix right now, and buy Sling, and add on the Hollywood extra package for $5 more, but not until they get it right.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
No, like I mentioned above they do not work well here. I am surrounded by mountains and Harrisburg is the closest broadcasting station, it is 60 miles away. But with the mountains it acts like 100+...

Go here: https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Send us the report link - it'll be right there above the chart under "If you would like to share these results with others, this page can be referenced as"

P.S. - I'm 38 to 65 miles from the towers here over rolling terrain, and have to get through trees around the property. I'm able to get all stations with nothing more than a ClearStream 2V that's being fed into a Roamio OTA.

Once we see the results, we'll have a better idea of what direction to head, but I'd think a quality antenna mounted high on a mast would do a good job for you...

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Send us the report link - it'll be right there above the chart under "If you would like to share these results with others, this page can be referenced as"

P.S. - I'm 38 to 65 miles from the towers here over rolling terrain, and have to get through trees around the property. I'm able to get all stations with nothing more than a ClearStream 2V that's being fed into a Roamio OTA.

Once we see the results, we'll have a better idea of what direction to head, but I'd think a quality antenna mounted high on a mast would do a good job for you...

Yes, I forgot to mention in addition to Ruku Plus, we get EVERY major network TV station over the air through our attic antenna and is distributed to 5 TVs in the house. ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, all together 22 channels. Majors are all High Def with superior quality then the dumbed down HD picture you get with Dish or Cable TV. IN addition to the majors, we get shopping networks, 24 hour weather etc, etc. On the main family room TV we also have a Channel Master DVR (google it) this provides us with the same type of programming/recording options and menu as a pay service, only free. The recording/TV schedule is provided through your wi-fi network to the Channel Master. Recording a series is the same as pay TV.

But never mind all the above, we tend to be a bit of perfectionist, my wife and I.

AN over the air (through your antenna) HD picture is far superior then the HD claims of Dish or Cable. Dish and cable HD is dumbed down to fit all that video through your cable or satellite, over the air is a direct feed (for lack of better words).
Even with the above said (again) if we miss something we just turn on our Ruku Plus and used the Ruku to go to ANY network program, as all the seasons are on it.
In addition to the TV FOOL, one can simply google TV antenna aiming and the site will tell you how far you are from the transmission towers, what channels you can get and which way to point the antenna!

REPEAT - OVER the air signal is far better then any pay TV if you have a large screen TV you WILL notice the difference. The over the air picture looks more like a BLU RAY picture.
Oops, I remember, I didnt post this before, as the OP asked about streaming services but now that the subject came up ....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
wsar10 said:

Yes, I forgot to mention in addition to Ruku Plus, we get EVERY major network TV station over the air through our attic antenna and is distributed to 5 TVs in the house. ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, all together 22 channels. Majors are all High Def with superior quality then the dumbed down HD picture you get with Dish or Cable TV. IN addition to the majors, we get shopping networks, 24 hour weather etc, etc. On the main family room TV we also have a Channel Master DVR (google it) this provides us with the same type of programming/recording options and menu as a pay service, only free. The recording/TV schedule is provided through your wi-fi network to the Channel Master and then records the show over the air through your antenna. Recording a series is the same as pay TV.

But never mind all the above, we tend to be a bit of perfectionist, my wife and I.

AN over the air (through your antenna) HD picture is far superior then the HD claims of Dish or Cable. Dish and cable HD is dumbed down to fit all that video through your cable or satellite, over the air is a direct feed (for lack of better words).

Even with the above said (again) if we miss something we just turn on our Ruku Plus and used the Ruku to go to ANY network program, as all the seasons are on it.
In addition to the TV FOOL, one can simply google TV antenna aiming and the site will tell you how far you are from the transmission towers, what channels you can get and which way to point the antenna!

REPEAT - OVER the air signal is far better then any pay TV if you have a large screen TV you WILL notice the difference. The over the air picture looks more like a BLU RAY picture.
Oops, I remember, I didnt post this before, as the OP asked about streaming services but now that the subject came up ....

Last edited:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5134d4decf1e0d

Like I said here multiple times.... the Over The Air stuff just does not work in our area, Regardless of what any site says. We are a very rural area nestled in between a mountain range between Harrisburg and State College, we actually have stations that broadcast OTA from the Penn State Campus (less then 30mi away) and we STILL cannot get them.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
alarmguy, what is Roku Plus? I can't find any information on it on Roku's website. Google returns only normal Roku boxes. Thanks.

I'm sorry, my mistake. When you buy a Ruku player, right away you have a TON of Free movies and content, but for us through the Ruku player, we subscribe to Hulu Plus for $8.00 a month, we also through the Ruku player subscribe to Netflex for another $8.00.
Google Hulu ...

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5134d4decf1e0d

Like I said here multiple times.... the Over The Air stuff just does not work in our area, Regardless of what any site says. We are a very rural area nestled in between a mountain range between Harrisburg and State College, we actually have stations that broadcast OTA from the Penn State Campus (less then 30mi away) and we STILL cannot get them.

Yes and I recommend to you, Ruku player with TONS of free stuff and subscribe to Hulu for $8.00 a month for your TV. Nothing to loose, they give you a free trial. Google Hulu.

the Over The Air stuff just does not work in our area, Regardless of what any site says.

What antenna/setup are you using?

People here are equally pessimistic about OTA reception...until you show them what can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back