Using Amsoil PS fluid in a Acura.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Have a 2001 Acura TL. Would I benefit from using Amsoil PS fluid? I know honda is really picky on PS fluid.

Unless it's 100% compatible/approved by Honda, otherwise, using non-Honda approved PSF fluid will risk steering rack leakage and will cost you mullahs.

Q.

Got a mix of RL and Amsoil psf in my '00 TL right now and have no problems so far!

Actually I recently did a reservoir d&f with Amsoil at my last oil change, however for over a year (don't know the exact date but it's been a long time) I had done a series of d&fs using RL psf and never encountered any problems.

did you notice any difference from the OEM honda fluid to the Amsoil

Last edited:
No, not with respect to steering feel or anything (hydraulic system so there wouldn't be) but I notice the fluid doesn't discolor like the OEM fluid does.

BTW, I've been running Amsoil ATF in my trans for a couple years now and have no problems there either (94K miles and counting...)

I just pm'ed you telling you how great my car is (lol!!!). Holy [censored]! 5 trannies!! Yeah, I'm familiar with the problems these cars have from the Acura boards. I'm on my original trans (cross fingers!).

I'm using Amsoil ATF in my Acura but I haven't been brave enough to try the Amsoil PSF yet. I always just pick up one of the Honda OEM bottles at the dealership for ~$4 and do some turkey baster siphon/refills 2-3x a year... Maybe one of these days I'll get brave enough to try it
thumbsup2.gif

Actually the problem with these transmissions is generally not fluid related, it's low quality materials used for some parts (I don't know which parts). There is the oil jet retrofit which is supposed to help one of the issues this tranny has but having it installed won't cure the other issue(s).

Using a better ATF simply addresses some of the limitations of ATF-Z1, not inherent mechanical issues with the trans.

I agree Blokey. Plus they can hiccup occasionally and cause condemnation of the fluid when whatever fluid was not the cause.

The good news is that the 2006-2007 redesigns (in the Ody at least) seem to work.

I'm running Amsoil PSF in the TL. Steering seems a little lighter when cold. No problems but the car got wrecked in the first month with the Amsoil and the rack was replaced so I'm going to order more when I get the car back.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I'm running Amsoil PSF in the TL. Steering seems a little lighter when cold. No problems but the car got wrecked in the first month with the Amsoil and the rack was replaced so I'm going to order more when I get the car back.

Car was never wrecked before you put AMSOIL in. Better be careful about changing the PS fluid again!

Originally Posted By: **** in Falls Church
Originally Posted By: BuickGN

Car was never wrecked before you put AMSOIL in. Better be careful about changing the PS fluid again!

I blame Amsoil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back