Using a thicker operating temperature oil?

Hi All,

I have three bikes here now (well, two bikes, one scooter). The bikes are a 2010 Husky TE630, and a 2009 ZX-6R. The scooter is a 2018 Yamaha XMAX 300.

My thinking is that I can afford to get a better, fully synthetic oil and/or change it more frequently, if I buy it in bulk....which makes sense, but really only if I can run it in all three bikes. There's basically two candidate viscosities, an XW40 or an XW50. API SM or better is what I would hunt for.

Both the TE630 and ZX-6R will be being used in relatively hard riding (club racing, once every 2 months or so). The TE630 is also used for long distance travel, including a planned 7000km trip across Australia's deserts, which also involves some 'spirited' application of the throttle and heavy loading with luggage in sand dunes etc. Ambient temps up to 45c are entirely possible, but not common. Typical range would be ~0c to 35c ambient. The XMAX just commutes around town in similar temp ranges.

Some say they run a 0W40 in the TE630's, but I'm very wary of running a lower viscosity than recommended at the operating temperature, which seems very high risk. Given the operating conditions are hardest for the TE630 and ZX-6R, I'm inclined to go for an XW50, but am generally happy to run a thinner viscosity with better pumpability for the cold temp rating and cold cranking (5W or 0W rather than 10W).

The manual specs for oil are:
TE630
: 10W50, no particular specs, just says 'CASTROL POWER 1 RACING 10W-50'. Presumably also JASO MA since it's wet clutch. Would chase API SL or newer since its a 2010 bike.
ZX-6R: 10W40 or 10W50 (presumably if ambient temp is greater than 40c based on their chart). JASO MA, MA1 or MA2, API SG or higher.
XMAX: 10W40, JASO MA or MB, API SG or higher.

The ultimate question then is for the scooter....Is there a risk in running a higher quality, but slightly thicker operating temp viscosity oil (say a 5W50 API SM) in an engine spec'd for 10W40 API SG or higher?
I realise it will likely make fuel consumption slightly higher, but I'm fine with that on a scooter. More concerned about engine longevity and sufficient lubrication of the engine.

On the face of it, it seems fine since the SM or SN spec is so far ahead of an SG or the like, it's probably okay, but I'd be interest to learn more on this if anyone can share their thoughts on what the main risk would be in terms of possible increased engine wear?

Last edited:
My question would be why 5W50? You mention Australia, is extreme heat in the cards? I would run 10w40 or 15w40 in the scooter and be good to go. The XMax is liquid cooled and it’s not a shared sump. Should help maintain stable oil temps and resist shearing to some extent. Yes, 10w40 or 15w40.

Somehow the above post became a double post. Editing that with this so it’s not as boring to read twice.

My question would be why 5W50? You mention Australia, is extreme heat in the cards? I would run 10w40 or 15w40 in the scooter and be good to go. The XMax is liquid cooled and it’s not a shared sump. Should help maintain stable oil temps and resist shearing to some extent. Yes, 10w40 or 15w40.

Main reason is that over here, I can get a barrel of decent quality oil at a better price (this stuff: https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/10-tenths-premium-5w-50-100-pao-ester). By contrast, things like Shell Ultra in either 10W40 or 15W50 are very expensive.

Extreme heat is possible, have had the misfortune of riding on days up to 46c (~115F).

Can also get this stuff in bulk:
Seems like a good oil, just not sure it would be sufficient in the TE630 in the deserts and sand etc.

Which oil is best for longevity??? any one of 40 or 50 grade oils in
your que will meet and exceed your mileage expectations...

Which oil is best for lowering temps??? the 40 grades flows with less
drag than a 50 grade...

Which oil is best for Horse Power??? the 40 grades flows with less
energy than a 50 grade...
full-45634-35309-oiltubeviscositytest.jpg

Chemically speaking a 10w is a new and improved formula over a 15w...

API ranks the first number 10 and the letter W from the newest to the
oldest on its ability to lube your engine during critical cold start up because
the most wear happens during startup before pressure is establish...

0W

5W

10W

15W

20W

If you wish to employ the latest in oil companies technology then you
want an one with an API low number rank...
UsedOilFlowTest5.jpg

Last edited:
Call, or email the factory of the bikes in question and ask about the enviroment you will be riding through- they should be able to tell if your rods,rings,bearings will hold up or explode into a million pieces,,,lol

Why not use one of the Penrite motorcycle oils? There is a PAO / ester 15W-50, which I expect would be fine in all of your bikes given the ambient temperatures. Or if you use the scooter when it's really cold, run a cheap 10W-40 in winter. I doubt it will care what oil it gets, unlike your other bikes.

Penrite has some great oils from reading BUT $$$ in USA. no reason for thinner cold rated oil in hotter climates as the 0 + 5 W are not necessary + burn off faster even if a real synthetic. i like 15-50 real synthetics in my bikes in Pennsylvania weather, had ams 20-50 in a 2006 hardly porkster + it would NOT crank fast enough to start in a 40 something garage overnight!!

Back