Useful to use LC20 with a new car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Myself and my friend just got a brand new Hyundai Accent and brand new Hyundai Elantra.
We'll be running conventional oil from the dealer for 3000 mile changes, until the vehicles are out of warranty.
I know that running LC20 makes a lot of sense for high-mileage or older cars and long-OCI cars of any age and mileage.
Is there any reason to not wait until 15,000 or 30,000 miles before starting on LC20?

At such short oil change intervals, I wouldn't bother. Besides, using any sort of oil additives is probably strictly prohibited by the owner's manual - another reason to stay away from it at least during the warranty period.

Agreed, I can't see how you can be worried about oxidation or shear at such a short OCI. I'd skip it (but I'd skip it even with a long OCI).

Ive always used it. Even on new cars. I run it in an LC20/#132 mix.

IMO it is never to early to think about optimizing your lube performance and minimizing degradation.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
. . .using any sort of oil additives is probably strictly prohibited by the owner's manual - another reason to stay away from it at least during the warranty period.

Oh, yeah, no way I'd ever mention using ANY additives of ANY kind to my dealer until the warranty was done.
That will be a while, too, since my warranty is 100K miles.

Useful . . . yes.
Necessary . . . no.

I wouldn't put anything into the initial oil charge, or the next couple changes thereafter, until the engine is well settled in.

It won't get that dirty before then.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Useful . . . yes.
Necessary . . . no.

I wouldn't put anything into the initial oil charge, or the next couple changes thereafter, until the engine is well settled in.

It won't get that dirty before then.

thumbsup2.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back