coolant change interval all of the place

With long life coolant it's 5 years or 100,000 miles-IMHO. I don't believe in "money flushes".
I agree, but is that taking the OP 5 or 10 or 15 years to get to. I would agree with 5yr/100k.

Reactions: CKN
Hi,

I own a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition, approaching 75,000 miles. The car was been great and trouble free. I was wondering exactly what is the correct mileage/years to drain and refill the coolant? I believe the manual states at 100,000. However, my dealer says every 30,000, my mechanic say every 60,000. My mechanic says waiting till 100,0000 as the manual states in too long to wait. So what is the correct interval??

Thanks
For what it’s worth, GM still suggests every 6 years or 150,000 miles, which ever comes first. Does Hyundai have a time aspect?

View attachment 157991

From the 2023 Silverado owners manual.

D2CB8875-77AE-4C39-81CE-BC246E0E9310.jpeg

you can check your coolant's electrolysis with a multimeter, pH level with test strips (I use the one's for fish tank pH levels), use one of those coolant testers to check coolant and antifreeze temperature guesstimates (freeze up and boil over levels) and check it visually...following these tips has helped me decide when to change my coolant...

Bill

The manufacturer's manual is typically the go-to source for maintenance guidelines. They have extensive knowledge of your vehicle and its specific needs. So, if they suggest 100,000 miles for coolant replacement, it's a safe bet to follow their recommendation.

However: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

So: your dealer's suggestion of every 30,000 miles ensures you're proactively caring for your cooling system. It's a bit more frequent than the manual's recommendation, but it provides added peace of mind. Similarly, your mechanic's advice of every 60,000 miles strikes a balance between the two, offering a compromise that still keeps your engine running cool.

Go with your mechanic’s recommendation!
I changed coolant after 15 years in one car and another 14 years. The first was "lifetime" . Both appeared new and cooling system components were likewise. Refilled with Peak Global Lifetime.YMMV

I changed coolant after 15 years in one car and another 14 years. The first was "lifetime" . Both appeared new and cooling system components were likewise. Refilled with Peak Global Lifetime.YMMV

I know someone who smoked and lived to 77 yo, and I know someone who never smoked and passed away at 62. I now recommend that if people would like to live longer, they should start smoking. Btw, YMMV!

😁

I know someone who smoked and lived to 77 yo, and I know someone who never smoked and passed away at 62. I now recommend that if people would like to live longer, they should start smoking. Btw, YMMV!

😁
And your point is? Smoke and change coolant? LOL

I'd say at 6 years and 75K you're due for a coolant change. I wouldn't say you went too long but I would say it's time. The 5 year or 150K recommendation does mean that LL coolants are more capable than the old IAT coolants so I'd say your system should be fine and a coolant change will keep it that way.

I would drain as much of the old coolant as possible and refill with distilled water ....do this a few times until it's coming out clear (running the engine each time to mix the water/remaining coolant) and then after draining for the final time add 1/2 the system capacity of concentrated coolant.....preferably an Asian formula P-HOAT but PEAK Global or 10X should be fine since you got most of the OE stuff out.

I have done this type of 'gentle flush' on every car I've ever owned or serviced and never had a coolant system issue.

I remember as a kid I’d want to open the block drains etc. the conventional wisdom say if 3 tranny drain/fills leaving 19% old would not have cut it back then.

I think coolant isn’t cheap, but it’s not that bad even if a Toyota at $35/gal.

Nothing bad would happen if changed 3 years later etc. this one isn’t rocket science with razor sharp precision needed. I’d list out recommendations on a dart board and see what you hit. Just do it at one of the intervals (again toyota 10/100 makes no sense to me and then going to the smaller next one—with a brand new car I’d do it maybe 5 years or less myself)

I guess I'm definitely a BITOG member.. I don't listen too well. If the manufacturer says 6years/100k, I just split that in half and perform the maintenance then. so 3years/50k. And that's what I have been doing with all the coolant in both cars. Been working well with that schedule.

Back