coolant change interval all of the place

The manufacturer's manual is typically the go-to source for maintenance guidelines. They have extensive knowledge of your vehicle and its specific needs. So, if they suggest 100,000 miles for coolant replacement, it's a safe bet to follow their recommendation.

However: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

So: your dealer's suggestion of every 30,000 miles ensures you're proactively caring for your cooling system. It's a bit more frequent than the manual's recommendation, but it provides added peace of mind. Similarly, your mechanic's advice of every 60,000 miles strikes a balance between the two, offering a compromise that still keeps your engine running cool.

Go with your mechanic’s recommendation!
and the dealer is cleaning out you wallet too...

Confusing, yes. My example is the Lexus. The maintenance schedule states to replace the engine coolant every 30k miles or 24 months. I think this is a bit premature for use with Toyota Long Life coolant.

Additionally, the maintenance schedule and owner's manual doesn't specify what kind of coolant to use, other than stating, "Coolant must contain ethylene-glycol antifreeze." However, the service manual does specify Toyota Long Life coolant.

My assumption is that the maintenance schedule is addressing the lowest common denominator, in case green Prestone comes into play.
Imagine, my Lexus purchased at technically 9.5 years old and dealer serviced its life, 81k.

No coolant in overflow nor in the radiator that could be seen (never ran hot).

That’s what happens when a policy is stupid and followed to the T.

I’ve had the car 7 years now and 55k so obviously the engine wasn’t trashed. But all that coolant evaporated over time yet service interval was followed.

The dealer and mechanic are in business to sell service. Hyundai has a 100,000 mile warranty and if they thought the coolant should be changed sooner, they would have required it as part of the maintenance schedule.
Hyundai gives the coolant a 100k warranty along with the car, because if it fails for a coolant related issue at 100,001 miles, it’s on the owner.

IMO, 3 years or 60k miles is not only reasonable but also pretty well founded in data. Plus, considering most cars take 50 antifreeze is say $15/gal, it’s not worth risking it on a car you’re keeping. I use the coolant change as a time to replace the thermostat as well since it makes the most sense.

Don’t be penny wise but pound foolish.

The dealer and mechanic are in business to sell service. Hyundai has a 100,000 mile warranty and if they thought the coolant should be changed sooner, they would have required it as part of the maintenance schedule.
Hol up.
Example, stellantis says gearbox is sealed for life.
Aisin says OCI 50000km..
Who do you believe?

Hyundai gives the coolant a 100k warranty along with the car, because if it fails for a coolant related issue at 100,001 miles, it’s on the owner.

IMO, 3 years or 60k miles is not only reasonable but also pretty well founded in data. Plus, considering most cars take 50 antifreeze is say $15/gal, it’s not worth risking it on a car you’re keeping. I use the coolant change as a time to replace the thermostat as well since it makes the most sense.

Don’t be penny wise but pound foolish.
This isn't the 1970's or 80's with it's green coolants. Coolant chemistry and lifespan has changed a lot since then. 5 years 100,000 miles and even 10 year 150,000 mile coolant changes are the norm these days. By your argument we should be changing the oil every 2-3,000 miles as well. If changing fluids sooner helps you sleep at night, go for it, but many people will say it's an unnecessary waste.

Everyone that you've spoken to has an agenda; sell you services or sell you a new car....
I work for a testing laboratory (NOTHING to do with cars), but on my own vehicles, I want objective evidence to tell me when to change fluids....
Why don't you test your own coolant? What's the ph? What's the freeze point? Does it need changing?
Objective answers: https://www.brakebleeder.com/product-category/coolant-testing/

180k+ miles and 19 years old with original coolant on my 2AZ-FE powered 05 Scion. No issues other than some of the coolant has disappeared as the reservoir level has been slowly getting lower. :unsure: Time for a fillup.

180k+ miles and 19 years old with original coolant on my 2AZ-FE powered 05 Scion. No issues other than some of the coolant has disappeared as the reservoir level has been slowly getting lower. :unsure: Time for a fillup.
Have you or anyone tested it lately in any manner?? Test strips, specific gravity, voltmeter??

And Hyundai is in the business to make their cars look as low maintenance as possible to drive more sales. Less maintenance before 100k the more carefree the car seems, driving more sales.

I am NOT saying the 100k mark is bad and potentially that is just fine, but... as of late... manufacturers are no better than dealers or mechanics in trying to sell you something. It's all about perception.
With long life coolant it's 5 years or 100,000 miles-IMHO. I don't believe in "money flushes".

IMO, if you're losing coolant it's better to find out where it's going than to top it off and ignore it.

My LS was purchased when it was 10 years old with an accumulated 36k miles. The only dealer service records were for charging issues - dead battery. Obviously, this car wasn't driven much. I also doubt the coolant was ever changed before I did the timing belt at 96k in November 2021.

The coolant top tank (reservoir) was always low but would never empty. When I did the timing belt it was obvious where the coolant was going. There was never any evidence of this on the ground, no doubt due to the engine under cover.

20180822_214509_resized_cropped.jpg
20180823_164824_reduced.jpg

Yes, Toyota Long Life coolant (00272-1LLAC-01) is pricey. Replacing the coolant at 60k miles or 4-5 years is reasonable based on what I'm seeing here.

Apologies, getting way off topic now.

Last edited:
IMO, if you're losing coolant it's better to find out where it's going than to top it off and ignore it.

My LS was purchased when it was 10 years old with an accumulated 36k miles. The only dealer service records were for charging issues - dead battery. Obviously, this car wasn't driven much. I also doubt the coolant was ever changed before I did the timing belt at 96k in November 2021.

The coolant top tank (reservoir) was always low but would never empty. When I did the timing belt it was obvious where the coolant was going. There was never any evidence of this on the ground, no doubt due to the engine under cover.

View attachment 157804View attachment 157805

Yes, Toyota Long Life coolant (00272-1LLAC-01) is pricey. Replacing the coolant at 60k miles or 4-5 years is reasonable based on what I'm seeing here.

Apologies, getting way off topic now.
The fact that the level is viewed in the direction from the driver’s seat looking forward, and that the reservoir cap itself is inaccessible without removing the plastic air intake, adds up to 10+ years of neglect even with 10 years of authorized dealer service. The dealers being routinely known to change 7/8 plugs is another blatant example of their lack of respect for the vehicles and their customers. But the fancy mineral water and snacks make it all worthwhile

For an OCD person, the (lack of) Hyundai recommendations for coolant are super frustrating. Similarly, in the manual for my Genesis Coupe there is no spec or details on the coolant type other than the obvious suggestion that it should be 50/50 ethylene glycol.

The time interval is listed as 5 yrs for the first change and 2 years thereafter. IMO time is more important than mileage as a change interval. I've always just been using OE coolant from the dealership but 2 yrs seems way too frequent for a modern coolant.

I've scoured the internet but have yet to find a definitive conclusion on Hyundai's coolant schenanigans and what a more reasonable change interval would be and why.

Hol up.
Example, stellantis says gearbox is sealed for life.
Aisin says OCI 50000km..
Who do you belie
I had a 1968 VW squareback and NEVER changed the coolant...NEVER had any issues either... :ROFLMAO:

I had a 1968 VW squareback and NEVER changed the coolant...NEVER had any issues either... :ROFLMAO:
I was given a 1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport, in 1989. I said to my buddy who gave it to me: "Bobby, the coolant is really green. It's as if it's 100% antifreeze."

Bobby: "Yeah, my dad never listens, he thinks 100% must be better than 50%."

Me: "Dang, that mofo's gonna freeze at like +14F."

Bobby: "Yep. You got the new Taylor Swift cd yet?"

I have a base model Tucson. I change the trans fluid and the coolant at 60k miles. I have a shop that does a nice job, uses all Mobil products, and does both with a machine. It's important to fill these coolant systems under vaccum, the days of dump and glug are over. There is also a service procedure for the transmission fill, which is easier on a lift.

I pay $299 for coolant exchange, transmission fluid exchange, semi syn oil change with filter.

I have a base model escape, I do the same service routine on it as well.

Don't forget to inspect the brakes, and get new fluid in those as well.

Back