Used vehicle buying high mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Honda is not so trouble free these days compared to others. 15 years ago we barely saw a honda engine that needed rebuilding today we do many.

Actually, it is the tranny that is going to give Hondas issues.

I think because most people think a car is reliable then they only "gas and go" without any thought to a PM schedule.

100K miles on today's engines is 50k of last century's (this is an engine forum after all)...

...years on the road, type of miles (city/highway), and environment (a year in all year-round summer temps = 2 years up north for rubber and electrical components) are factors still to be considered for parts other than the engine's internals...

...the most important factor is maintenance...a properly maintained vehicle should go 150k miles with few major parts repairs or replacement.

All said though, $10k seems high for a 100k mile car...unless it's a high-end marquee...luxury costs.

[Kitacam came to me @ 7-yrs old with 97.5k miles with a new clutch, battery, tires, wiper blades + for $6,500]

Last edited:
Bought my Saturn 6 years ago with 123K, still going with 219K today. Bought a Cobalt with 111K this past spring, have put about 6,000 miles on thus far. I'm by no means a mechanic but my luck has been good. Nothing to run away from at 100K IMO, but do some price checking as others have said. $10K is a bigger gamble to me, not that you can't find something good (testaments of others in this thread are proof of that) - but I'm usually throwing a few thousand at a used car that I look at as a gamble if I get hosed on an issue. $10K would push me (personally) close to spending another few grand on a new sedan but that doesn't sound like it fits your needs.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Bought my Saturn 6 years ago with 123K, still going with 219K today. Bought a Cobalt with 111K this past spring, have put about 6,000 miles on thus far. I'm by no means a mechanic but my luck has been good. Nothing to run away from at 100K IMO, but do some price checking as others have said. $10K is a bigger gamble to me, not that you can't find something good (testaments of others in this thread are proof of that) - but I'm usually throwing a few thousand at a used car that I look at as a gamble if I get hosed on an issue. $10K would push me (personally) close to spending another few grand on a new sedan but that doesn't sound like it fits your needs.

Agreed. $10k is awfully close to CPO territory.

I would have no problem paying over $10k for 100+ mile car, but nothing that you've listed there.

From my experience, all of my family's Chrysler vehicles were starting to fall apart after 100k. And probably a transmission coming up soon for the Honda...

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
100K miles on today's engines is 50k of last century's (this is an engine forum after all)...

...years on the road, type of miles (city/highway), and environment (a year in all year-round summer temps = 2 years up north for rubber and electrical components) are factors still to be considered for parts other than the engine's internals...

...the most important factor is maintenance...a properly maintained vehicle should go 150k miles with few major parts repairs or replacement.

THIS!
Remember the post on here from last year, the woman with the new car but she didn't change the oil and it seized on her? There were picture on here, I'll look for the post..

Buy on the condition of the vehicle, not the miles on the clock - often you find that by 120 or 130 ish many parts have already been replaced and it would be a better buy than a car with 80 or 90 on it and lots of work due or nearly due..

spending $10k for a used car with lots of room i would have to consider something like the newest Ford explorer with a 4.6l or a Tahoe with the 5.3L that i could find. Both engines are known to run well over 200k+ miles with normal maintenance. The benefit of these trucks/suv's is you get the room, the V8 power, and the capability to tow if you ever wanted a trailor/boat...etc. Fuel economy will be a little worse than a van, but probably only 5-6 mpg difference.

Originally Posted By: datech
First, why is this thread on the motor oil forum?

01.gif

Originally Posted By: virginoil
what has this topic got do with oil for gasoline engines please move to correct forum

New to the forum. Did not think about were to post this. If you know how to move this post please do so. Thanks sorry

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn

Agreed. $10k is awfully close to CPO territory.

What is CPO territory ??

Thanks for all the input. I'm not quite sure why Chrysler has gotten such a bad rap recently. But then again I've been out of the mechanics trade for over 15 years now. Always thought the caravan and Chrysler 300 were as good as the everything else on the road..if not better.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Certified Pre Owned is when you pay the seller to do the inspection you should be doing as a buyer!

True, but usually CPOs have extended warranties attached to them by the manufacturer.

I had a 2002 Grand Caravan. Great transmission. Just changed the fluids in it every 40k miles. Had two power steering hoses bust on it and covered under warranty. I think they finally figured out how to make a decent power steering hose sometime along the way. The AC compressor failed under warranty and was replaced. Now it has a leak that no one can find so it has to be recharged regularly. It ate front break pads and rotors like Doritos, but left the rear breaks alone. We figured out what was causing that...something with the fluid regulator...so now it doesn't do that anymore. It also ate every tire I threw on it in 35k miles until we settled on BF Goodrich Touring T/As. My mother in law owns it now. Probably has around 150-160k miles on it now.

Like most others have said $10k is a good chunk of change for a used car, bordering on CPO territory. I bought my civic SI 6 years ago from a private party seller with less than 30,000 on the clock for $10k cash. It took some time browsing used car ads but I'm really happy with what I got. Now, 60,000 miles later, I haven't ran into any significant problems that weren't caused by me and my tinkering. Engine still purrs away and no grinds in any gears on the 5MT.

What are you looking to get out of the car? You mention a durable vehicle with a good amount of cargo room and the element would be perfect for that. A friend of mine does some handyman stuff as a side business and he replaced his truck with an element. He doesn't haul anything huge in it but window coverings, tools, bags of cement, etc. are all fine. Its also pretty neat that you can wash out the inside with a bucket of soapy water! Very convenient.

The Dodge Journey is a good alternative to the Caravan. My 2011 has been a real joy so far to own and I am sure that the cargo space is more than enough to suit your needs.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
bought a 90 camry v6 wagon for $800 in 2005, needed fuel PD, radiator (leaked) and battery cable (corroded) and some welding on muffler.
drove it for 2 years and $25k miles and sold for $1100.

For $10k I would go and buy a brand new Honda Fit at 2% and drive it till the fuel filter clogs up ;-)

You won't come close to buying a new Fit for 10k, or even most likely a used one in decent shape. You might get close to 16k for a new base model, no options. You can buy a Civic or a Corolla or Mazda3 for less than a Fit, and all are much more pleasant cars to drive and ride in. And the new Fit, made in Mexico, is generating a LOT of quality complaints at fitfreak.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back