Used vehicle buying high mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I LOL'd at 80k as high mileage. I haven't bought a car under that mileage!

$10k is a tough range. You could go out and buy the cheapest new Versa/Note or Mirage for that. Or you could search for a used/older, nicer vehicle. Its all about what you actually need. MPG, space, utility? Figure out your needs then start narrowing it down.

Chrysler/dodge plus high mileage. Good luck with that! Post some pics when the paint starts fading or never ending repair bills.

You should be able to purchase a pretty nice 2009 or 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT ot Chrysler Town & Country Touring with miles in the 80k range for under $10k. Nothing wrong with either one of them if they have been taken care of. I mention those two specific models because they come with the better 3.8L V/6 engine with the better transmission, both of which should exceed 200k miles with proper maintenance. On higher mile examples the only commonly reported minor problems are with A/C leaks, HVAC air door motors, power window regulators, power door lock actuators, and emission system components (evap. system leaks are the most common). But, not all of them will have all of these problems, they are just some of the more common things. Also, some of the interior trim is cheap and fragile.

Last edited:
I just bought the highest (initial) mileage vehicle in my life.

03 Silverado 165k
98 Saturn 117k
87RX-7 99k
96 Aspire 149k
88Coupe De Ville 120k i think
92 Dakota 110k or so
97 Z28 36k
93 Sunbird 60-80k
85 RX-7 dont remember probably 120k

The Silverado is the second most expensive vehicle Ive owned, the Z was almost triple, but all others have been less money and fewer miles. Ive enjoyed all my cars, but the Dakota was the worse, it had no power and horrible gas mileage, it was my first pickup and has some decent memories.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
For $10k I would go and buy a brand new Honda Fit at 2% and drive it till the fuel filter clogs up ;-)

If you could link me to one of these $10,000 Fits, I'd be interested in buying one.

Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U
Chrysler/dodge plus high mileage. Good luck with that! Post some pics when the paint starts fading or never ending repair bills.

My stepfather just replaced his second 200,000+ mile Concorde (with a 300). The first was, as of last year, still going with over 275,000 miles. His 2003 had ~240k when traded. Only major repair was the HVAC control panel...untouched original engine, transaxle, and even the water pump!

I refuse to spend a lot of money on a high mileage vehicle. I'd rather spend more for a fresher example.

FWIW, my cousin has went through about 6 Dodge/Chrysler minivans over the course of 15 years and he heard they were engineered to last 150k tops. He doesn't abuse them, but doesn't do a lot to them maintenance wise either. You know when he's getting another one soon when he shows up with a ratchet strap holding the sliding side door on, adding a couple quarts of oil to another one in my driveway when there is puddle of oil underneath it already, or the transmission starts slipping real bad on the thruway. Each example was a different van. Yet he still buys them? With him, 150k life on them is stellar.

I spent $7000 on a Chevy Silverado 1500 with 96k on it 8 years ago and now has 255k putting only a new water pump, one u-joint, alternator, and some routine maintenance items. I prefer Chevys, and also have an older Toyota that I really like driving too.

I'd be leary of anything Dodge/Chrysler related over 100k unless you get it practically free.

Originally Posted By: Tzu
FWIW, my cousin has went through about 6 Dodge/Chrysler minivans over the course of 15 years and he heard they were engineered to last 150k tops. He doesn't abuse them, but doesn't do a lot to them maintenance wise either. You know when he's getting another one soon when he shows up with a ratchet strap holding the sliding side door on, adding a couple quarts of oil to another one in my driveway when there is puddle of oil underneath it already, or the transmission starts slipping real bad on the thruway. Each example was a different van. Yet he still buys them? With him, 150k life on them is stellar.

I spent $7000 on a Chevy Silverado 1500 with 96k on it 8 years ago and now has 255k putting only a new water pump, one u-joint, alternator, and some routine maintenance items. I prefer Chevys, and also have an older Toyota that I really like driving too.

I'd be leary of anything Dodge/Chrysler related over 100k unless you get it practically free.

I can't comment on the pentastar however I've many 3.0/3.3 powered vans go through my hands and they went double the mileage you quoted without any tranny or engine issues.
One had an oil leak that would fry starters but other than that they were 100% problem free.
These vans went from my mom then adopted as tool haulers once she got a new one,so the second half of their lives was nothing short of heavy duty and well in excess of designed capabilities yet no issues.
So your 150000 mile design death sounds absurd to my. My experience with many different Chrysler vans is opposite of your belief.

I watched a FLEET of Chrysler minivans wind up 250,000+ miles each (many over 300K) in livery service. Most were retired due to rust, not miles!

I'm happy you like your Caravans and they treat you well. What I wrote is what I have seen. Usually in three years they come off the road and end up behind a hedge row.

I've always wondered how the livery service, taxi cabs and vehicles somehow on the "severe service duty", seem to go 300-500k miles when your average Joe Shmoe using it for commuting/family usage makes 250k and calls it a good run. Most of the time around me, rust eats away at a lot of the older Caravans and that's not even looking underneath. My cousin is probably the exception, but he is the only one I personally know that drives and keeps buying them. Maybe if he had a Honda or Toyota he would have the same issues? I can only guess.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Tzu

I can't comment on the pentastar however I've many 3.0/3.3 powered vans go through my hands and they went double the mileage you quoted without any tranny or engine issues.
One had an oil leak that would fry starters but other than that they were 100% problem free.
These vans went from my mom then adopted as tool haulers once she got a new one,so the second half of their lives was nothing short of heavy duty and well in excess of designed capabilities yet no issues.
So your 150000 mile design death sounds absurd to my. My experience with many different Chrysler vans is opposite of your belief.

My Chevy is puking up parts left and right as it gets near 150k, I guess that's the service life on a lot of stuff.

I've always bought domestic vehicles. But thinking of buying a Honda/Toyota or something besides domestic. I hate to say that, cause I've always been the Buy America, type of guy. But had a bad problem with a new 2009 Jeep Patriot (first new car). Lost a lot of trust in Chrysler's. And would like something that "may be" better built, and last longer.

Just be sure to budget a few bucks for repairs. Vehicles should still be mostly tight at around 100k miles, but there's usually something that needs to be addressed.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: stockrex
For $10k I would go and buy a brand new Honda Fit at 2% and drive it till the fuel filter clogs up ;-)

If you could link me to one of these $10,000 Fits, I'd be interested in buying one.

I'll take 8 of them at that price (I would take more but I couldn't afford to pay for them). I would be willing to bet that the Honda dealer down the street would take a couple hundred of them though.

Originally Posted By: rustytoolss
I've always bought domestic vehicles. But thinking of buying a Honda/Toyota or something besides domestic. I hate to say that, cause I've always been the Buy America, type of guy. But had a bad problem with a new 2009 Jeep Patriot (first new car). Lost a lot of trust in Chrysler's. And would like something that "may be" better built, and last longer.
I "lost trust in Chrysler" in 1966 and never purchased another "Big Three" anything. Hondas and Toyotas have served me well through four and five generations. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Originally Posted By: rustytoolss
I "lost trust in Chrysler" in 1966 and never purchased another "Big Three" anything. Hondas and Toyotas have served me well through four and five generations. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Because of something that happened FIFTY YEARS AGO, you will not buy a car from Chrysler. Absolutely incredible and utterly nonsensical!

Originally Posted By: Shark
For 10k you could get a nice Hemi 300c or R/T Magnum.

Just looked at a sweet Magnum at 4k with Hemi and high miles. Ran very well.

My son just bought a Suburban for work, 175k miles and runs like a gem. Needs a radiator and that is it. Pretty nice truck after a killer clean up and a bit of shining...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back