Thoughts on taking high mileage car on long trip?

It's a matter of perspective.

When I was a kid a friend's dad spent days getting the car ready for a summer vacation trip/family visit. Turns out it was less than 30 miles.
That would be my dad too. A trip to pick up someone at the airport? He'd get the oil changed beforehand, put air in the tires, etc. I bet that was about 30 miles round trip.

We used to go on vacation to Michigan, and one year right in the middle of the week he suggested Mom and my brother and I go shopping, or something, because he needed to take the car for an oil change. I never did find out what prompted the sudden desire for an oil change.... Maybe the oil light came on? Weird noises from the engine? Maybe he just wanted to stop in for a brew while the car was at the shop.

I just want to say, the most memorable time I got stranded was when we drove a newer, under warranty, GMC Canyon Diesel, and it died completely while I was driving it, in -20 temps, four states away from home.

Meanwhile I haven’t been stranded by any of my older high mileage vehicles since I started driving, with one exception… I did have a 1977 Suburban many years ago that left me on the side of the road a couple times due to an issue with the carburetor but that’s an exception. And I have had a few other issues. But nothing was as big of an issue or as dangerous as that breakdown in a newer low mileage car.

Anything can break at any time.

Long ago I was a civic owner.
Bought it with 376,000 kms on it, sold it with 422,000.
Took it on many trips, and a lot longer than 300 miles, which is barely a Sunday afternoon drive for a burger to me. My car wasn't familiar to me, or family owned, but on Craigslist.
The woman who bought it from me, drove it for another 3 years, then sold it, at that time it had over 500,000 kms, it never left her stranded anywhere. Being a manual transmission, when the battery died on her once, she bump started it.

Thanks for the advice Ya'll, I'll take the trip.

I'm located in VA btw.
Good plan. Since you've kept up with maintenance and know the vehicle you should be fine. One thing a friend told me when he was taking a long trip (by the way, I don't think 300 miles is a "long trip"), he takes his title along with him (keeping it in a secure place). He has had to get rid of a broken down car away from home and bought a different car (in his case, a truck) away from home.

Virginia can be a lot different: east is flat and tidal but head toward the west it gets rather hilly.

I have a 2012 Honda Civic that I was gifted by my parents after my Buick crapped out. The Honda has 178k on the clock and just recently got new tires and an oil change. I use full synthetic. Transmission shifts nicely etc.

I have a friend I haven't seen in almost 10 years that lives almost 300 miles away in the mountains and we wish to see each other. I've heard stories of Honda's Legendary reliability however since I haven't had this car most of it's life I'm worried something may go out on it.

What's everyone's thoughts on this matter?
Change thr atf 3 times.
And coolant.

Good to go

I wouldn’t sweat it, especially on a Honda. Have 3 cars with decent mileage - 09 VW Rabbit 2.5 185k, 13 VW GTI 165k, and 02 4Runner 285k and have no problem taking them on trips of that distance. All have been maintained to a very high standard however.

100% without a doubt. Go out, have fun, and don't worry about the car :)

I once took my 86 Mazda 626 with 228,000 miles on a trip from San Francisco to San Diego and back. Didn't think twice about it.

Back