Thoughts on taking high mileage car on long trip?

I have a 2012 Honda Civic that I was gifted by my parents after my Buick crapped out. The Honda has 178k on the clock and just recently got new tires and an oil change. I use full synthetic. Transmission shifts nicely etc.

I have a friend I haven't seen in almost 10 years that lives almost 300 miles away in the mountains and we wish to see each other. I've heard stories of Honda's Legendary reliability however since I haven't had this car most of it's life I'm worried something may go out on it.

What's everyone's thoughts on this matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would use it. How's the rest of the service history? My only concern would be the transmission itself if it hasn't been serviced before, but if it's not giving any red flags I wouldn't worry about before the trip. It's definitely something I'd do soon if it's due or hasn't been done before.

That's really not a lot of miles for a Honda.

I would use it. How's the rest of the service history? My only concern would be the transmission itself if it hasn't been serviced before, but if it's not giving any red flags I wouldn't worry about before the trip. It's definitely something I'd do soon if it's due or hasn't been done before.

That's really not a lot of miles for a Honda.
I know my stepdad did a pretty good job of maintaining it. He used it for his delivery business. Put 25k miles on it in a year.

My advice is if you can’t trust your car to drive across the country at any moment you need to either get it to that condition or replace it.

This is a mindset I’ve had for years and it’s served me well IMO.
I haven't taken it on enough long trips to trust it yet. lol

Given the family owned history 300 miles away I would take it. Usually when my cars get up there in mileage or I try to cap it at 3 hours each way for the higher mileage car, but we have two which makes that decision easier.

If the car functions normally in typical use, I'd not worry about a 300 mile trip.
The fact is that any car can crap out at any time, but they typically don't.
If I had a tenish year old Civic I'd been using regularly, I'd have no concerns about making a 300 mile trip.

Do it, I've driven farther on worse.

We have cars so that we can visit friends and family. Don't let your car take on importance above people.

I have a 2012 Honda Civic that I was gifted by my parents after my Buick crapped out. The Honda has 178k on the clock and just recently got new tires and an oil change. I use full synthetic. Transmission shifts nicely etc.

I have a friend I haven't seen in almost 10 years that lives almost 300 miles away in the mountains and we wish to see each other. I've heard stories of Honda's Legendary reliability however since I haven't had this car most of it's life I'm worried something may go out on it.

What's everyone's thoughts on this matter?
I live out West where you can have no cell phone signals for two hours and be at least that much time from civilization. Impossible for me to to offer you advice without knowing where you are located.

It is FAR EASIER to milk miles out of a beater East of the Mississippi (middle of no where really doesn't exist) than you would dare "out west".

Back