Used too large an oversize filter- bad idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I was reminded of the serious potential drawbacks of using a filter that is too big. I have a case and a half of AC Delco Ultraguard Gold filters (PH8A size, 3/4-16 thread) that I'm just itching to use up, my Ford truck takes them but I only use one a year or two at the rate I drive the thing.

Figured I could erase the stash a little quicker and use the filters on my Pacifica, which normally takes a PH16, also 3/4-16 thread, comparable bypass valve specs and gasket diameter. Both filters are nearly identical in girth, however the PH8A size is about 80% longer.

When installed on the car, the filter came down too far (it's mounted straight down) to be protected by the various plastic shrouds / subframe on all sides, but after inspecting it closely, I decided it would take a very (un)lucky strike from road debris at just the right angle and placement to hit the filter in some way. I've only had the filter on for a week, and boy was I mistaken! It wasn't even my wife driving (who finds a way to hit undercar obstacles like tall curbs routinely, usuallly just under the bumper scrapes and such) but me simply pulling into a parking space at the dollar store! While inching up to the curb, I felt an awful-sounding metallic scrape and sure as [censored], the angle on the cement curb hit the filter just right so as to crush the very edge of it. The filter didn't leak and all was well after replacing it-- using the stock PH16 from now on, and not even taking a chance in the future! In retrospect it was a foolish idea, as the PH16 is sufficiently large to begin with for an engine of the size, and using a $2 filter up is not worth a potential catastrophe.

You must be living right. If this happened to me, there would have been 5 quarts of oil on the ground. Happy that you had a good outcome.

Yeah, just because it installs doesn't mean it fits. I have several of the Fram 7317 (?) Honda filters. I will use them on Nissans given the fitment is OK.
I service 3 friends Nissans: a 2004 Sentra, a 2015 Sentra and a 2015 or 6 Altima.
You must be living good: coulda hit something on the freeway and ...

That is kind of a misleading thread title.

I'm glad it all work out OK - but a lot of common sense is involved in situations like this.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The filter gets torn off on the hwy and you immediately get a low oil pressure light and shut it down. Toss a new filter on and refill the oil and you are good if you shut it down fast enough. Oil pressure light is arguable worse that a coolant light on my car specifically, on my car the overheat indicator is the same as the low coolant indicator. I assume anyone on this board who saw an oil pressure light would stop immediately.

I'd be more concerned about a slower leak that eventually empties the pan and by the time the light comes on, you have already been running on low oil for a while.

BITOG loves the oversized filter!

Contrary to popular believe, the filters job is to trap particles that are larger than the oil film, not to clean the oil. (unless you have a sludge engine, then it traps sludge) You dont need a MEGA sized filter to do that. And since efficiency increases with use, use it for two oil changes.

I think an oversize filter is very beneficial in colder weather, as there's more surface area for the cold, thick oil to flow through.

Originally Posted by Bluestream
Contrary to popular believe, the filters job is to trap particles that are larger than the oil film, not to clean the oil.

Depending on what language you translate this into... it means the same thing.

No one expects oil filters to filter down to 1 micron and still be "full flow"..

Conversely, I am often amazed that air-cooled OPE engines can run for hundreds and hundreds of hours with no oil filtration at all.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The filter gets torn off on the hwy and you immediately get a low oil pressure light and shut it down. Toss a new filter on and refill the oil and you are good if you shut it down fast enough. Oil pressure light is arguable worse that a coolant light on my car specifically, on my car the overheat indicator is the same as the low coolant indicator. I assume anyone on this board who saw an oil pressure light would stop immediately.

I'd be more concerned about a slower leak that eventually empties the pan and by the time the light comes on, you have already been running on low oil for a while.

BITOG loves the oversized filter!

Agreed. And true of any idiot light.
Having said that, we all know lotsa people who say, "I just wanted to get it home..."
Heck, we might even be guilty of that ourselves. Ha!

Send those filters to me! I can put them on my jeep where there is no chance of anything hitting it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Bluestream
And since efficiency increases with use ...

Some test data says otherwise.

Indeed, much worse could have happened! Two things I won't ignore is a coolant and oil light. Both warrant an immediate shutdown and inspection to determine the cause. I don't trust Ford gauges either (nearly every model I'm familiar with) simply because they're nothing but a fancy idiot light.

The bigger issue is how long you'd keep driving with the light on-- if there isn't an audible chime (like many GM vehicles used to [check gauges light]) it will probably go unnoticed until it's too late. No idea if the newer vehicles give sufficient warning though, but it's doubtful this Pacifica would have, since as far as I can tell, it only has a small idiot light to warn of low oil pressure. I don't dare try running the OP low to see if the message shows on the EVIC (information center.)

Though it can also be argued that a gauge alone isn't all that great either-- the one in my '85 Ford is an actual working OP gauge before Ford went to all or nothing gauges. If it dropped suddenly, I'd have no idea as it's small and subtle. In this case, the idiot light might be preferred, but IMO there should be something in your face (loud buzzer, etc.) to tell you of impending doom like low OP or high coolant temp.

Originally Posted by JLTD
All things in moderation.....

Glad it only scraped and dented instead of rupturing!

^^^^^^

Aint that right
lol.gif

80% bigger.... Holy cow.

20-30% bigger all I would do.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
You definitely don't want an oil filter to be the lowest object on a car. Ouch.

"Like"

Originally Posted by dlundblad
You definitely don't want an oil filter to be the lowest object on a car. Ouch.
True, but any design that requires a stubby filter to avoid that issue is a bad design!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back