US Castrol Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.
In its 0w30 flavor seems to have the same specs as the Castrol SLX sold everywhere else... Could it just be the same product?

I don't believe we'll se the SLX product branded as such in the US; Castrol is marketing their Syntec line as their top of the line oil so why introduce a new product name?

--
Carlos

Thanks for the info! I might pick up some and give it a try... Hey, who has a discounted oil change if you bring your own?

In my 97 Grand Marquis with 101k miles I use M1 5W30 from Nov~Feb and M1 10w30 the rest of the year. I used to run it for 5k miles but in the last year or so I started changing it at 3k miles (right about 5k miles you could feel a lot of heat coming from the engine while standing next to the car)

I'm more interested in a new oil for my 98' Volvo S70 (93k miles). The dealership switched it to synthetic at around 60k miles and lately the car has developed a rough start noise that last for a minute or so. I believe the dealership uses 0w40 (Volvo brand?)

-
Carlos

quote:

Originally posted by Carlos Morillo:
I'm more interested in a new oil for my 98' Volvo S70 (93k miles). The dealership switched it to synthetic at around 60k miles and lately the car has developed a rough start noise that last for a minute or so. I believe the dealership uses 0w40 (Volvo brand?) Carlos

Is your Volvo S70 a turbo? My boss drive a 99 S70 with the low pressure turbocharger.

Pablo, one of the Amsoil site sponsors, is the Volvo expert on the board.

The German Castrol 0w-30 or the Mobil 1 10w-30 would probaly work fine in the mild Atlanta winter. You can also mix the Mobil 1 10w-30 with some Mobil 1 15w-50 to thicken it up a bit.

Carlos,

The Castrol Syntec 0w-30 with the red label with the "Made in Germany" is available at AutoZone in metro Atlanta (at least Cobb Pky and Canton Road Marietta locations carry it). Autozone is only place in the area that I know of that carries the Mobil 1 0w-40 and German Castrol 0w-30 that meet the European A3 specs. I believe the German Castrol has the SLX specs that you refer to in your post. I did see one old Syntec 0w-30 bottle with the yellow label that made in North American which is "junk".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back