Updated M1 FS 0w-40 - More PAO

It can also be an issue in GDI engines, especially T-GDI with small sumps.
Yes, as I noted, this historically was a diesel problem, but now it applies to GDI/TGDI engines and their GPF's.
I wonder what the mechanism is to combat soot thickening. I know that oil can't just dissolve it.
I assume some sort of enhanced dispersant chemistry like would be in traditional diesel oils to deal with the same thing. The idea is to prevent large agglomerates from forming.

I assume some sort of enhanced dispersant chemistry like would be in traditional diesel oils to deal with the same thing. The idea is to prevent large agglomerates from forming.
Probably all they can do is hold the soot in suspension. At 15K miles, HDEO (T6) looks like soot soup when drained.

This is the European Version test of M1 FS 0w40 from 2019 (5% Ester + 20% PAO + GTL)
0w40 Mobil1 FS 5%ESTER.+25%PAO+60%GTL.jpg

Pao or how much pao is not the question if this oil „ is good“. Its only in Peoples head.
Not really. Modern Group III base stocks with high VI and low saturates have closed the gap somewhat, but PAO still wins in extreme cold weather performance and in other characteristics such as oxidation resistance and sludge prevention.

But please also mention the disadvantages of PAO oils apart from the higher price. Poor seal compatibility, poorer solubility of the additives.

But please also mention the disadvantages of PAO oils apart from the higher price. Poor seal compatibility, poorer solubility of the additives.
Yes but no oil is 100% PAO for just this reason. Fully formulated motor oils with high PAO percentages do not have those problems yet will obtain the benefits of the base stock.

Every PAO-based engine oil has this problem. Any. For me, it offers no added value than a lewreee wallet. But everyone as he likes.

Some releases can only be achieved with hc oils and work perfectly. Why should I partly pay twice as much, which offers no added value? But everyone as he likes.

But these things should also be mentioned!

Some releases can only be achieved with hc oils and work perfectly. Why should I partly pay twice as much, which offers no added value? But everyone as he likes.

But these things should also be mentioned!
Pertly true. Gr3 oils have been shown to be superior in some applications (I think diesel) but in many cases the price difference is less than 2x. Other factors which impact price such as product origin (Domestic vs Import), market share and finally the difference between products which "meet the spec" vs "surpass the spec".

But every PAO engine oil has this problem. One should not always insist on one's own opinion, this with PAO is even confirmed by employees of the oil companies. Why doesn't Porsche actually drive PAO oil in all its 24h cars? You have to be really crazy to take the bad hc. 😂🤭

The specification makes the quality. I can buy mobile 1 for 8€ the litre and Ravenol for 16€ the litre. I don't see any advantages except that I save money. However, everyone is welcome to use PAO for a conscience and shop expensively.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying that it doesn't just have advantages as is often assumed. These should also be mentioned, nothing more. If PAO oil meets the required specification, you can absolutely use it, whether it is then "better" than xy hc oil, which costs half, it should be seen.

Every PAO-based engine oil has this problem. Any. For me, it offers no added value than a lewreee wallet. But everyone as he likes.
What problem? It's the same easily mitigated issue (minus the seal shrink) that any of the higher purity base oils have (poor solubility). This is countered by adding something with high solubility to it, like esters or AN's, which eliminates the problem and also provides proper seal swell.

Back