Updated M1 FS 0w-40 - More PAO

Do you have a voa from this new mobil 1 fs 0W40 With the APi SP specification. Here in Europe wie can only buy the Older version.

I have a some quarts of the old and new versions in my garage. Can I mix the two together when doing an oil change or better to stick with one version? Any advantages to using the newer for a Mercedes requiring 229.5?

I have a some quarts of the old and new versions in my garage. Can I mix the two together when doing an oil change or better to stick with one version? Any advantages to using the newer for a Mercedes requiring 229.5?
The only advantage I can see is if is a turbo GDI engine affected by LSPI, which it probably is not I am guessing. They can be mixed safely but if you're asking if the mix is as good as either one in isolation, that is unknown.

The only advantage I can see is if is a turbo GDI engine affected by LSPI, which it probably is not I am guessing. They can be mixed safely but if you're asking if the mix is as good as either one in isolation, that is unknown.
2017 Mercedes Benz GLC43 AMG 3.0L 6 -cyl Engine 276.823 Turbo. Looks like it is DI.

Yea I could not drain the oil of my 2022 GLC43, the oil plug is blocked by a small metal pipe or something. Need to suck it out so can't' give you guys the down low on how the car "feels". Need to get a pump. . .

Yea I could not drain the oil of my 2022 GLC43, the oil plug is blocked by a small metal pipe or something. Need to suck it out so can't' give you guys the down low on how the car "feels". Need to get a pump. . .
That's why MB recommends extracting the oil out of the dipstick tube. The tube is designed to get oil off the bottom of the pan. They don't tell anybody about this. Pull the stick out of a modern Benz and there will be no oil on it. Freaked me out for a time. You have to pull out the stick wait a few seconds and push back in, hesitate a moment and pull it back out, and there will be oil on it.

Well, folks, let me tell you about this here discussion on the interweb. There's this fella, goes by the name of @OVERKILL - quite a handle, ain't it? Now, he's been jawing about this here oil, M1 FS 0w-40. Says it's gotten colder, down to -60C, before it gets all thick-like. But the paper that comes with it says it should only go to -42C. Kinda like saying you're going to Texas and ending up in Oklahoma, ain't it?

Now, he's also saying this oil's got more of this stuff called PAO. It's like when you ask for a little more gravy on your mashed potatoes and they just dump the whole boat on there.

Then this other guy, @blufeb95, he's thinking maybe they took out some stuff called GTL and put in more of this PAO and something else called VISOM. @OVERKILL, he thinks that might be the ticket.

Now, some folks are talking about the price of this oil. It's only $27 for 5 quarts at a place called Wally's. But some folks are saying that's too much. It's like they're trying to buy a horse but only got chicken feed money.

Then there's @JavierH19. He's thinking maybe they put in more PAO because they ran out of other stuff or had some problems with their deals. He also says this PAO stuff is more expensive and stores don't want to make folks mad by asking for more money.

So, in the end, this new M1 FS 0w-40 oil has folks talking a mile a minute. They're all trying to figure out why it's got more PAO and why it can get colder before it gets all thick. It's like a soap opera, but with less drama and more viscosity. Now, isn't that something?

⬇️

1686611684540.jpg

⬇️

Folks, it's called Alkylated Naphthalene, and Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 API SP has a boat load of it, upwards of ~20%, that's why the pour point ain't that great. Mobil has done away almost completely with esters in Mobil 1 FS 0W-40.

Well, folks, let me tell you about this here discussion on the interweb. There's this fella, goes by the name of @OVERKILL - quite a handle, ain't it? Now, he's been jawing about this here oil, M1 FS 0w-40. Says it's gotten colder, down to -60C, before it gets all thick-like. But the paper that comes with it says it should only go to -42C. Kinda like saying you're going to Texas and ending up in Oklahoma, ain't it?

Now, he's also saying this oil's got more of this stuff called PAO. It's like when you ask for a little more gravy on your mashed potatoes and they just dump the whole boat on there.

Then this other guy, @blufeb95, he's thinking maybe they took out some stuff called GTL and put in more of this PAO and something else called VISOM. @OVERKILL, he thinks that might be the ticket.

Now, some folks are talking about the price of this oil. It's only $27 for 5 quarts at a place called Wally's. But some folks are saying that's too much. It's like they're trying to buy a horse but only got chicken feed money.

Then there's @JavierH19. He's thinking maybe they put in more PAO because they ran out of other stuff or had some problems with their deals. He also says this PAO stuff is more expensive and stores don't want to make folks mad by asking for more money.

So, in the end, this new M1 FS 0w-40 oil has folks talking a mile a minute. They're all trying to figure out why it's got more PAO and why it can get colder before it gets all thick. It's like a soap opera, but with less drama and more viscosity. Now, isn't that something?

⬇️

View attachment 160905

⬇️

Folks, it's called Alkylated Naphthalene, and Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 API SP has a boat load of it, upwards of ~20%, that's why the pour point ain't that great. Mobil has done away almost completely with esters in Mobil 1 FS 0W-40.
Should be easy to see via a VOA that has oxidation, no? If the virgin oxidation went way down, I think we can safely assume they swapped out the esters for AN's. And yes, AN's have poorer cold temp performance and lower VI than esters, but have some other very excellent traits as noted in one of the articles I linked on them a while back.

Should be easy to see via a VOA that has oxidation, no? If the virgin oxidation went way down, I think we can safely assume they swapped out the esters for AN's. And yes, AN's have poorer cold temp performance and lower VI than esters, but have some other very excellent traits as noted in one of the articles I linked on them a while back.
You might have to rub a virtual bugger on him 👀

Well, that seals it then! Was waiting on somebody to post one, apparently I missed it.
Detergents and dispersants took a haircut. Motor oil is all about balance, so, unless Mobil would have increased ZDDP (a la Red Line), the logical thing was to decrease polarity in the co-base without loosing solvency. This being Mobil, they went with ANs. I'm sure you know what I'm getting at. ;)

So, I bought some at Walmart this weekend. The 5 qt jugs were all API SP formula. The 1 qt bottles were SN still. However, the craziest thing was there was a single lone bottle with a really, really, old label on the shelf. I should have taken a pic. I don't even remember that label being the current label 15 years ago honestly. I wonder if it was hiding in the stockroom all these years or someone tried to return an ancient bottle for some reason.

Back