Updated M1 FS 0w-40 - More PAO

So, I bought some at Walmart this weekend. The 5 qt jugs were all API SP formula. The 1 qt bottles were SN still. However, the craziest thing was there was a single lone bottle with a really, really, old label on the shelf. I should have taken a pic. I don't even remember that label being the current label 15 years ago honestly. I wonder if it was hiding in the stockroom all these years or someone tried to return an ancient bottle for some reason.
Go back for a pic!!!

So, I bought some at Walmart this weekend. The 5 qt jugs were all API SP formula. The 1 qt bottles were SN still. However, the craziest thing was there was a single lone bottle with a really, really, old label on the shelf. I should have taken a pic. I don't even remember that label being the current label 15 years ago honestly. I wonder if it was hiding in the stockroom all these years or someone tried to return an ancient bottle for some reason.
Should have got it for the nostalgia!

That's why MB recommends extracting the oil out of the dipstick tube. The tube is designed to get oil off the bottom of the pan. They don't tell anybody about this. Pull the stick out of a modern Benz and there will be no oil on it. Freaked me out for a time. You have to pull out the stick wait a few seconds and push back in, hesitate a moment and pull it back out, and there will be oil on it.
Yes! After I realized I can’t drain it, I tightened the bolt, and cleaned the bottom up. Then I wanted to check the oil level with the dipstick, first time it was dry and I was like “uhhh”. Second time I put it back in, let it sit, and got a proper reading. Time for a Mitty Vac.

Go back for a pic!!!
I would, but I was visiting my parents a few hours away. If it's still there in 3 weeks I'll stop back in. Honestly, I don't know who would buy it at the same price as a new bottle, so it may well be there still.

I think it was marked API SM, but the front of the bottle looked super old, like early 2000s logo.

I would, but I was visiting my parents a few hours away. If it's still there in 3 weeks I'll stop back in. Honestly, I don't know who would buy it at the same price as a new bottle, so it may well be there still.

I think it was marked API SM, but the front of the bottle looked super old, like early 2000s logo.
1686623028177.jpg

So was it this label that they changed around 2009-2010ish to the label that they continued to use until around 2021.

View attachment 160956
So was it this label that they changed around 2009-2010ish to the label that they continued to use until around 2021.
It was older than that one for sure. I think it had a white or off-white background and older Mobil font. I first bought M1 0W-40 around 2008 and it wasn't even that label that I remember.

View attachment 160961
This is the oldest image I could find on a Mobil site, from July of 1997, bask in it's 28.8k friendly glory.
It's probably newer than that, I think it's actually quite similar to the SuperSyn label you posted but faded from time or UV, with the older style bottle that didn't have the scalloped edge. It was API SM, so I would have to guess it's just before the bottle you originally posted. Probably 2005-2008?

It's probably newer than that, I think it's actually quite similar to the SuperSyn label you posted but faded from time or UV, with the older style bottle that didn't have the scalloped edge. It was API SM, so I would have to guess it's just before the bottle you originally posted. Probably 2005-2008?
I have some SM in my stash, but it's the sculpted bottles. SM was introduced in 2004.
IMG_4903.jpeg

IMG_4904.jpeg

here in the UK all I have seen for sale is the old spec not this one; either way there seems to be a shortage of it!

There is "New life" version which doesn't say FS and has different approvals!

I wish they used more technical/ meaningful titles for their product

1686650768053.jpg
1686650840877.jpg

Folks, it's called Alkylated Naphthalene, and Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 API SP has a boat load of it, upwards of ~20%, that's why the pour point ain't that great. Mobil has done away almost completely with esters in Mobil 1 FS 0W-40.
Looks that way doesn't it? Virgin oxidation read is very low now. That would be my guess as well.

and from what i read here is possible to be used in esp 5-30 too?
Hard to say what is truly being used unless you had them broken down but my guess is they are using AN's now in most of their oils. They seem to prefer AN's to esters. AN's do offer some advantages especially in competing surface space.

Back