Updated M1 FS 0w-40 - More PAO

The NOACK question overkill. With less lspi protection, does that mean it vaporizes more. Any opinions on NOACK and lspi? GM/DEXOS seems to want lower NOACKs.

I've never seen this product. I don't think they carry it at walmart. Is this stuff $$$ and do i get it at some other parts store?
GM Dexos is far from being stringent as other approvals. LSPI protection is key to some small engines, definitely not Corvette.
But it doesn’t make sense. API SP has LSPI test and Noack limit of 15%. It is type of additives (calcium).
Most importantly, design of engine is what really matters.

Not all engines are affected by LSPI, there are rather few. For vehicles without GPF, I would always choose a fullsaps oil. Engine oils approved according to ACEA must meet higher requirements than engine oils according to API. The European Mobil1 product range is also "better" than the American one, at least in my opinion some analyses.

Not all engines are affected by LSPI, there are rather few. For vehicles without GPF, I would always choose a fullsaps oil. Engine oils approved according to ACEA must meet higher requirements than engine oils according to API. The European Mobil1 product range is also "better" than the American one, at least in my opinion some analyses.
No naturally aspirated engine is. Also bigger engines don’t have this issue (short of few terrible examples like Toyota 2.2 D-4D). But, there is so much talk about LSPI that people owning port injected V8 engines started to worry.

I think the most interesting benefit of API SP or further reformulations is the intake deposit officially being tested for DI engines. Irrespective of LSPI.

Here's a snapshot of M1 FS 0W-40 PDS published July 2022 on Mobil Passenger Vehicle Lube , Poland.
M1 FS w-40.jpg

Last edited:
Since some members touched on A40 vs C40, I'll throw this in here, with 229.5 in the mix... Disclaimer: this tool is not to be used to rate oils. Read more disclaimers in the screenshot itself. Relevantly irrelevant? Maybe. But here it is anyways. In case anyone shares same curiosity I had.
Screenshot (29).png

Last edited:
Since some members touched on A40 vs C40, I'll throw this in here, with 229.5 in the mix... Disclaimer: this tool is not to be used to rate oils. Read more disclaimers in the screenshot itself. Relevantly irrelevant? Maybe. But here it is anyways. In case anyone shares same curiosity I had.
View attachment 108989
Any time now, a Grinch will show up to let you know that you're using the Lubrizol 360 Comparison Tool all wrong. :ROFLMAO:

Any time now, a Grinch will show up to let you know that you're using the Lubrizol 360 Comparison Tool all wrong. :ROFLMAO:
I can hear him coming! 😄 But honestly, if this Lubrizol360 chart is as useless as some here claim - it wouldn't be regularly updated, but it is. Must carry some weight to it, huh? Plus their disclaimers sound like lawyer language to me, which is absolutely necessary and understandable in this day and age of expensive lawsuits over anything...

Last edited:
This is a simple representation of the requirements for an oil specification. For me, a little too inaccurate to really judge the quality of an oil.
If the vehicle does not have a particulate filter, I would reach for A40, only with a filter I would choose C40. Porsche expressly says that C40 can only be used if this engine is approved for it. Otherwise, A40 is always to be used!!!

This is a simple representation of the requirements for an oil specification. For me, a little too inaccurate to really judge the quality of an oil
Yup. Which is why I said that it's not to be used to rate oils. I just find it entertaining.
Though it does provide slightly better "understanding", compared to speculation and guesstimation. Anyways, just a fun tool to play with and see the level of requirements an oil has to meet.

Last edited:
The noack value is usually made more important than it really is. I think Teost is more important. But here in Germany there are also some "really clever" who look for the flash point and then classify oils as good or less good🙈. The noack of the mobil 1 fs is currently 8.7, the new C40 is about 8.

I can hear him coming! 😄 But honestly, if this Lubrizol360 chart is as useless as some here claim - it wouldn't be regularly updated, but it is. Must carry some weight to it, huh? Plus their disclaimers sound like lawyer language to me, which is absolutely necessary and understandable in this day and age of expensive lawsuits over anything...
The tool isn't useless, it's just not meant to compare approvals between different bodies. If you want to compare LL-01 to LL-04FE or LL-14FE, that's well within its wheelhouse, but you can't compare LL-01 to A40 for example.

The tool isn't useless, it's just not meant to compare approvals between different bodies. If you want to compare LL-01 to LL-04FE or LL-14FE, that's well within its wheelhouse, but you can't compare LL-01 to A40 for example.
Perhaps the difference between C40 and A40 is a better example then. There are some debates how the ESP type low - mid saps oils might be the latest flagships. What magic is involved? Who knows. Pennzoil Euro L is the cheapest LL-04 out there for mid saps and QSUD , 0w40FS are the cheapest full saps LL-01 / A40 type oils out there.

Attachments

• 1658425845566.jpg
    1658425845566.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 14
Perhaps the difference between C40 and A40 is a better example then. There are some debates how the ESP type low - mid saps oils might be the latest flagships. What magic is involved? Who knows. Pennzoil Euro L is the cheapest LL-04 out there for mid saps and QSUD , 0w40FS are the cheapest full saps LL-01 / A40 type oils out there.
Excellent example, yes, that's precisely how it is supposed to be used.

We can see that wear and oxidation emphasis are the same, but C40 puts emphasis on aftertreatment compatibility and soot thickening, both of which have historically, been issues more prevalent in diesels, but now with TGDI and GPF's, there is crossover.

C40 puts emphasis on aftertreatment compatibility and soot thickening
It can also be an issue in GDI engines, especially T-GDI with small sumps. Hyundai & KIA increased their sump sizes over the last few years to nearly Euro levels in the past few years. Some T-GDI Genesis vehicles now recommend ACEA C2 lubes.

I wonder what the mechanism is to combat soot thickening. I know that oil can't just dissolve it.

It can also be an issue in GDI engines, especially T-GDI with small sumps. Hyundai & KIA increased their sump sizes over the last few years to nearly Euro levels in the past few years. Some T-GDI Genesis vehicles now recommend ACEA C2 lubes.

I wonder what the mechanism is to combat soot thickening. I know that oil can't just dissolve it.
This. DI has the effect of more soot. The deposit focus is nice to see too with DI as well.

Back