Updated M1 FS 0w-40 - More PAO

This stuff seems to continue to be the nectar of the gods so to say. Interesting data and nice work finding this. Still a big value at $27/5 qts.

Anyone know where online one would be able to find previous versions of the SDS for M1 5W20 for example??

Looking for the SDS before this current version.

Thank you

qsud euro 5w40 is still around.

castrol edge 0w40, however old it may be, is the obvious winner after the extreme m1 price hike.

My local Walmart has M1 0w40 for $27.47 and Valvoline 0w40 for $24.97 while Castrol 0w40 is at $21.97! Unless M1 or Valvoline offers a nice rebate or some other worthwhile promotion within the next 6 months, Castrol is going in my Mercedes engine next oil change.

FYI other Castrol Edge products have seen a big price drop as well to include EP in the gold bottle which is looking like a real nice offering to pick up right now.

16373364840347083384302157704963.jpg

Just noticed the Pour Point for M1 0w-40 was reduced to -60C:
View attachment 78042
Which isn't remotely close to what's on the SDS, which shows -42C and is from 2019, still showing 10-20% PAO:
View attachment 78044

I checked the UK SDS and it shows View attachment 78043

I also checked the German SDS, which is dated November 10th, 2021, and it shows the same increase in PAO content and
What doesn't match is KV40 and KV100 at the moment, which are 78 and 13.8 for both the German and UK SDS sheets, while the old US sheet matches the PDS. Will see if those get modified in the next little bit on the US website.
They need to increase the PAO content if they switch from natural-gas-based (GTL) Group III (older MSDS) to lower-quality petroleum-based Group III (newer MSDS); otherwise, they won't meet the MRV/CCS/Noack specs.

Every ExxonMobil bottle has a four-digit revision number on the back, which you can check to see if there is a formulation change or the bottles in Europe and in the US have the same formula.

They need to increase the PAO content if they switch from natural-gas-based (GTL) Group III (older MSDS) to lower-quality petroleum-based Group III (newer MSDS); otherwise, they won't meet the MRV/CCS/Noack specs.
Yup, and we will likely never know why they just made that switch.
Every ExxonMobil bottle has a four-digit revision number on the back, which you can check to see if there is a formulation change or the bottles in Europe and in the US have the same formula.
We've been told directly from XOM that the formula is "Global" so the US MSDS should be updated here at some point in the relatively near future I assume.

Actually, the Visom (petroleum-based Group III+) formula was better than the GTL (natural-gas-based Group III+) formula, with less VII and a thicker base oil. Now, they are back to a Visom-like formula, it seems. (Visom is discontinued, but they can source petroleum-based Group III+ from elsewhere.) And the PAO formula (SM version) was far worse than both the Visom and GTL formulas in terms of the VII content and base-oil viscosity, even though the specs looked similar on the paper. I'll create a thread about the evolution of M1 0W-40 when I get a chance.

38€ here, Castrol 0w40 even more, round 45. Shell and Total to the rescue.

where? :p
Castrol... I say CasTroll because 4L price is higher than other 5L (inclusive for normal products), after you see Ignatius Walmart capture and :eek:
Yeah Shell-Total, 0w30 and 0w40 I see sometimes from 30-35€ semi-PAO.

My local Walmart has M1 0w40 for $27.47 and Valvoline 0w40 for $24.97 while Castrol 0w40 is at $21.97! Unless M1 or Valvoline offers a nice rebate or some other worthwhile promotion within the next 6 months, Castrol is going in my Mercedes engine next oil change.

FYI other Castrol Edge products have seen a big price drop as well to include EP in the gold bottle which is looking like a real nice offering to pick up right now.

View attachment 78414
Around here at Walmart and Canadian Tire Castrol only puts the 5w30, 5w20 on sale and never the 0w40, whereas Mobil always includes the 0w40 in the biggest discounts. It's been this way for the past few years as far as I can remember.

where? :p
Castrol... I say CasTroll because 4L price is higher than other 5L (inclusive for normal products), after you see Ignatius Walmart capture and :eek:
Yeah Shell-Total, 0w30 and 0w40 I see sometimes from 30-35€ semi-PAO.
Croatia. Mobil and Castrol are insanely expensive here, fortunately similar Shell and Total are 50% less. SHU and quartz are 25€, mid and low saps are again more expensive. I use FS or mid saps HDEO in my CR DPF diesels and had zero problems to this day with conservative OCI of 10k km. With three cars and van for work cars do not get many mileage per year.

What is the actual difference between GTL and PAO? Would there be a noticeable difference between the two?

Back