Update on the New Mobil 1 R Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but it will at least be 11cSt or greater bc it will be A3 rated. That I'm willing to bet anything on.

I was watching one of the car shows and they were interviewing a driver for some formula team. Sorry I don't know who it was. Anyway he was discussing Mobil 1 R oil and was dispelling the myth that race oils needed to be a heavy weight. He stated that he's seen his race engines dynoed for extended periods at over 10K RPM on 20W oil.

Just to throw a wrench into the works here, a friend of mine works with a gentleman who does oil analysis for a few of the top fuel drag teams and according to him *heresay alert* they are running essentialy 0/0 group V PAO in the engines, transmissions and differentials with about 15% moly thrown in by volume. Now I can see the value to runnning lower weight oils as they run off quicker and can transport more heat. But on the other hand there is such a thing as running too light of an oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Steverino:
I was watching one of the car shows and they were interviewing a driver for some formula team. Sorry I don't know who it was. Anyway he was discussing Mobil 1 R oil and was dispelling the myth that race oils needed to be a heavy weight. He stated that he's seen his race engines dynoed for extended periods at over 10K RPM on 20W oil.

But I bet that engine is appropraitely clearanced to run a 20Wt, and the clearances wouldnt be the same vicintiy as a street engines'. So it probably doesnt mean a 20Wt in a NASCAR would hold up in a wider clearanced street car.

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
At this point the Mobil 1 0W-30R is going to be officially available for shipment January 6, 2004. It will be on our website January 10, 2004..... It will be available in 6 one quart cases.. Thank goodness not exclusively in 5 gallon pails as it has been packaged to date! As we get more information I will post it immediately. As indicated, the Mobil 1 R IS the 'real stuff', the same formulation as used in Mobil racing affiliate engines. As to API certification, no information at this time.
As shared previously, the 'trick' aspect of this oil is its unique base stock chemistry which provides significant performance gains without compromising its lubrication qualities.
To be continued.......
George Morrison

Any more information? What is the URL of this website we can order from?

George,

Thanks for the info on the Mobil R. I will be ordering after you get it on the site. Also need some Delvac I. So my patience has paid off. One phone call and it is delivered to my door. Now that is service.

cheers.gif

Bump. Any new word... estimated pricing, availability?

Is the non-Racing 0w30 gonna get dropped?

George from AVLUBE will carry the product Jan. 6th I believe. The data for the oil will be available then. This is ahead of what Mobil's website will show and ahead of it hitting the retail stores. He will carry it in 6qt cases I believe, from what he told me. Nothing else is known about this product right now.

Z, retail will have the oil but not until early spring. If this oil doesn't sell to much, which I don't think it will, it might be hardery to come by in time. It will kind of be like Mobil's Motorcyle oils which I only see at Autozone.
smile.gif

You Canadians should order from www.avlube.com. George is a site sponsor and is very good guy. He knows all about this oil.
cheers.gif

[ December 25, 2003, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I here you. I'll only try it once in my car othewise I'll be throwing more money out the window bc my car burns oil. Whether it takes off or not remains to be seen. It will be interesting to see how they market this oil. My friend takes his Vette to a local performance mechanic outside of Philly and they all carry S2k. He has this in his Vette now. In fact, thats all he has been carying for years. Cost will be a huge factor in determing it's success. If it retails well over $7-8qt, it's going to be a tough sell, especially when the regular Mobil 1 line and Amsoil line (ASL/ATM) do an outstanding job already. This is more for the guys who push 500 + HP IMO and go to the track on weekends. It will be funny though if I put this in my Corolla.
lol.gif
Little rice rocket 1.8L using a NASCAR oil.
grin.gif

[ December 26, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Just goes to show you that Amsoil/Mobil/RL aren't the only one's making very high end oils. Pennzoil has some nice racing oils from what Johnny has said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back