UOA on M1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a partial oil analysis as I couldn't wait till 25k miles to put in the German Castrol 0w30. So the averages are scewed. However, It seems they have taken that in to account to a degree with their comments on my analysis.
Interestingly, the iron wear seems to be on course to reach average given the reading and mileage on the vehicle at the time (23553mi). I don't see anything in the report that would give me a clue to the engine noise my engine produces.
Which, by the way, has completely vanished since switching to the GC oil. I know the mileage is low for the analysis. Since then I have put about 700+ miles on the car with the GC.
I had mentioned high iron wear mentioned by other 1.8T owners using M1 0w40. This is the first UOA on this car, so I have no first hand knowledge of this symptom.

-

Anyone see anything that would produce a piston slap/wrist pin type noise on my engine with the M1? BTW, since installing the GC 700 miles ago the engine is as quiet as a sleeping baby. I have to look at the tach to tell if it is running. But I am concerned about possible lower MPG. But my engine really is unacceptably noisey with the M1 0w40.

Hi,
slickfisher - the report is excellent and shows the worth of this great product. It is not the most popular factory fill synthetic for nothing

I have tried M1 0w-40 in the following three engine families and they were all noisy at start up;
1 - Subaru Outback 2.5ltr EJ25 engine
2 - BMW Z3 2.8ltr M52 engine
3 - MB M271 1.8ltr Supercharged
(consumption nil, projected ASSYST monitored OCI is 20kkms - 12kmiles)

The Subaru and BMW were also noisy on M1 10w-30

The noise is disconcerting but totally harmless. The benefits of using such lubricants outweight the "physcological" factors especially with VANOS,phasers, timing chains and etc.
While I don't like the startup noise in the Benz it will remain on M1 0w-40 for "life"

I sold the Subaru with a trouble free 80k miles on it (about half of it on Delvac 1)

Regards
Doug

The only thing that slightly stands out is lead, especially given the short OCI, but it's nothing I'd lose sleep over at this point. I've ran both M1 0w-40 and GC (SLX 0w-30) in my 1.8T at 5K OCIs. I'd say both did OK. Lower iron with GC of course. My OUAs are somewhere in the UOA section.

As far as the lead is concerned I think some of these race gas mfg's cheat a little. Even though it is stamped unleaded 100 octane which that sample saw quite a bit of. I have a personal stash of Sunoco GT 100 unleaded out back. I also bought "100 octane unleaded" (Union 76) from Petro Express a couple of times on that sample.
I don't think there is a lot of lead in these fuels. It is a federal offense, bigtime, if a retailer gets caught selling leaded fuel from an unleaded lable and knozzle. No, I don't have any bearing noise what so ever, cold/hot whatever.

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,
slickfisher - the report is excellent and shows the worth of this great product. It is not the most popular factory fill synthetic for nothing

I have tried M1 0w-40 in the following three engine families and they were all noisy at start up;
1 - Subaru Outback 2.5ltr EJ25 engine
2 - BMW Z3 2.8ltr M52 engine
3 - MB M271 1.8ltr Supercharged
(consumption nil, projected ASSYST monitored OCI is 20kkms - 12kmiles)

The Subaru and BMW were also noisy on M1 10w-30

The noise is disconcerting but totally harmless. The benefits of using such lubricants outweight the "physcological" factors especially with VANOS,phasers, timing chains and etc.
While I don't like the startup noise in the Benz it will remain on M1 0w-40 for "life"

I sold the Subaru with a trouble free 80k miles on it (about half of it on Delvac 1)

Regards
Doug

No, No, I don't have any start up noises at all with M1 0w40. That seems to be one of it's strong points. My noise occured hot and only at idle. We removed the serpentine belt, so it wasn't any of the external accesories.
But it is as quiet nearly any engine I've heard with the GC in it. I have heard a few engines that were quieter. Anyways.

No it was the old style bottle that said "european forumula". Not the extended protection or whatever with the curvy bottle or the little "super syn" symbol at the top. And is wasn't 6+ bucks a quart. Seemed more like 5 bucks or so.

Scaling this data to a 10k service interval would result in these approximate concentrations:

Fe, 24 ppm
Cr, 3 ppm
Al, 6 ppm

Silicon, 30 ppm***

Hi Ted,
you well know that scaling is at best the most "imprecise" method of playing with UOAs
and never more so than when dealing with relatively short OCIs!

If you need help just refer to the RHS "Universal Averages" or e-mail me privately!

Keep happy Ted

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back