2016 Subaru STi, 34.9k miles, 3.5k miles OCI Castrol Euro 0w30 LL01 w/ OE filter

Sharing another UOA. Usually use 0w40 GC but decided to use up some 0w30 I had sitting around from 2018-19 ish. LL01 label on there. I daily drive the car about 7 miles each way to work (mostly freeway).

Attachments

• subaruuoa2023.jpg
    subaruuoa2023.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 256
Looks OK.
Suprised at the low moly. Maybe it's better at -0- given the piston skirt coating - assuming the EJ turbo have plasma moly skirts

Looks OK.
Suprised at the low moly. Maybe it's better at -0- given the piston skirt coating - assuming the EJ turbo have plasma moly skirts
The Castrol 0W-30 A3/B4 always has the biggest dose of Ti they use and no moly for whatever reason.

Do you allow for cool down time, on my RDX. 1 min minimum even slow city driving. Come hard off freeway. 3 min. M1 0/40. 3k OCI
Always did even though it wasn’t needed due to coolant continuing to circulate after shutdown. I did put another ~110k on the new turbo before the car was totaled.

Always did even though it wasn’t needed due to coolant continuing to circulate after shutdown. I did put another ~110k on the new turbo before the car was totaled.
In fairness, the oil screens were a known problem on all the EJ turbos, and while I get the intent, if you’re using a good oil filter, the only way the much larger screen in the oil feed line will catch anything at all is if the filter tore.

IMO there is almost zero risk of losing a turbo if one removed that inline screen. This would eliminate the chance of plugging the line and starving the turbo. About the only other way to keep the turbo happy with that screen is to use an oil with ANs & esters to continually keep the screen clean. It’s almost ironic that turbo EJs seem to prefer the HTHS of a good Xw40, and the “premier” 0w40 just happens to have an AN/Ester makeup. Of course I’m talking about Mobil 1 FS 0w40.

In fairness, the oil screens were a known problem on all the EJ turbos, and while I get the intent, if you’re using a good oil filter, the only way the much larger screen in the oil feed line will catch anything at all is if the filter tore.

IMO there is almost zero risk of losing a turbo if one removed that inline screen. This would eliminate the chance of plugging the line and starving the turbo. About the only other way to keep the turbo happy with that screen is to use an oil with ANs & esters to continually keep the screen clean. It’s almost ironic that turbo EJs seem to prefer the HTHS of a good Xw40, and the “premier” 0w40 just happens to have an AN/Ester makeup. Of course I’m talking about Mobil 1 FS 0w40.
HTHS of Castrol 0W30 is 3.58 and M1 is 3.6.
I would always go Edge 0W30 over M1 0W40.

Yes, I did keep the screen in but was still pushing my intervals beyond Subaru's new (at the time) requirement that turbos fell under Severe Service. Even Amsoil advised to follow SoA's recommendation on their web site. I still kept the screen in after the failure because the lead Master Tech convinced me that the benefits (blocking debris) outweighed the risk.

Even though the OP's MY does not have the screen, I still can't recommend 10k OCI's on an STI based on five uoa's and not knowing much detail about the OP's driving conditions. HPL might be an easier pill to swallow for an extended OCI. 😊

I like the 0w30 Castrol Euro. I ran it at 1yr/4500-5000 mile intervals, with results very similar to yours…though I have somewhat detuned version (2007 turbo), I have 150k on the engine.

i know edyvw loves this oil too, but actually your 0w40 results looked marginally better, especially the Pb. Assuming you’re not tracking it, or “abusing” it, I think you could settle on 1 yr intervals, given your typical use, with either Castrol oil

Wait, so your UOA showed everything’s fine and dandy and then outta the blue your turbo failed??? 😳🫣
Yes, other than a slight uptick in lead. This was actually a turbo with only around 20k on it.

The uoa just before the failure.

Just shows the limitations of uoa’s.

I like the 0w30 Castrol Euro. I ran it at 1yr/4500-5000 mile intervals, with results very similar to yours…though I have somewhat detuned version (2007 turbo), I have 150k on the engine.

i know edyvw loves this oil too, but actually your 0w40 results looked marginally better, especially the Pb. Assuming you’re not tracking it, or “abusing” it, I think you could settle on 1 yr intervals, given your typical use, with either Castrol oil
The 0w30 I pickup when it's cheap but other than that I will take the 0w40 5qt tanks at once at amazon / walmart. Keep in mind that the 0w30 did see the highest mileage interval so far so that could factor in the more pb shown.

As far as extending the drain intervals, I'm sure 5k+ would be no issue. But w/ the amount of issues on the EJ25 I don't mind leaning to the safer side - castrol edge is very affordable.

Also the only modifications done to this car that would affect the UOA (for better prob) is the oil catch can I have. In 15k miles, I still havent filled it up at all, it looks to be at sub 10% full still from the gauge (stock tune / stock air filters / stock exhaust).

Last edited:
Back