2016 Subaru STI 28xxx miles, 2870 mile uoa Castrol edge euro 0w40 w/ OEM filter

Just sharing another sample. Wear is trending very similarly, can't complain about 22 dollar oil per change. Always been a fan of gc/bc edge. Daily driven , about 7 miles each way plus some spirited runs here and there. Not much long highway trips.
E05B2E16-6864-4888-8DFC-8A62309F2E48.jpeg

Just sharing another sample. Wear is trending very similarly, can't complain about 22 dollar oil per change. Always been a fan of gc/bc edge. Daily driven , about 7 miles each way plus some spirited runs here and there. Not much long highway trips.
View attachment 92141
Good run. 10.85 exit vis is plenty of protection.

Wear metals look fantastic. Seems to have sheared a bit more than expected. Maybe more than just here and there spirited driving. In my WRX EJ255 cSt was still in the 12s.

Are you using any additives?

Nice wear metals, but I do suspect that there is some fuel dilution and not necessarily shearing. 2,800 miles? Maybe we should move this to the Partial Used Oil Analysis forum. :p Although you are less than 200 miles aware from Subaru's severe service interval.

Any mods @JamesGames ?

Looks same or worse than universal average. Got to run that oil longer. Its not "cheap" insurance. Nothing is being
improved or protected by dumping the oil this early.
Enjoy the car.

Looks same or worse than universal average. Got to run that oil longer. Its not "cheap" insurance. Nothing is being
Enjoy the car.
Ha! If I wouldn't have listened to this advice here on BITOG, I would've saved $2k+ on my turbo replacement. Care to donate to my turbo fund? :D

Yes, many will say there was a "design flaw" in the EJ25x turbo during those early years due to the AVCS and turbo banjo bolt screens, but I extended my OCI too far based on "good uoa's" and recommendations here. Around that time, Subaru recommended all turbo's to be placed under the severe service schedule OCI.

Although I do admit that once I started running more robust oil (maybe higher/different detergent levels helped), I put over another 110k miles on that replaced turbo running 5k mile intervals and I even kept the banjo bolts screens in.

And while the OP's model year STI does not have those screens, I can completely understand why he's being overly cautious with the OCI.

Reactions: a5m
You don't think he can go to at least 3750? Under 3k is a bit, severe ...
Fresh oil just makes the pin fall out of the grenade faster :)

You don't think he can go to at least 3750? Under 3k is a bit, severe ...
Fresh oil just makes the pin fall out of the grenade faster :)
😆

Well, the severe service interval is actually 3k for that model year. I only did one more uoa after my turbo failure and 5k intervals seemed to be fine for me. But then again, my oil usage was 1 - 1.5 qts per OCI so I was usually adding fresh oil regularly. Especially with a lot of highway driving and revving at high rpms due to the short gearing. That's why I moved to 10W-40 for summer.

To answer some questions, the 3k interval is what I follow give or take few hundred miles. Was a bit early this time because I had a day off so decided to just do it. Other than that, has been stock tune its entire life other than a oil catch can. Certainly I can run the intervals longer but at 22 bucks of oil per change I'm not worried. And yes like @bluesubie stated, better to be cautious than to try to run my oil to maximize my dollars. Castrol edge price saves me a lot of money already. I have motul 5w40 xcess gen 2 as well but likely will keep using edge 0w40 as I like the results.

I actually suspected that I'd have fuel dilution because of my short 7 mile trips daily to work. Plus lunch hours where I may start the car and drive half a mile to grab food and return, not much time for the car to warm up to temp. This is 90% of my trips, is my daily driven car so it sees short trips endlessly. Regardless, fuel dilution or shearing, seems like motor does both to the oil, hence the reason I'm running edge 0w40. I've never had a UOA done on this car that didnt' show cST dipping a good amount relative to the short drain mile intervals I do. Just peace of mind mostly.

Enjoy the car.
forgot to respond to this - I typically run 5k mile drain intervals on all my cars but this one had the motor extended warranty from Subaru per their class action lawsuit with issues pertaining to this motor. If anything were to happen I'd like to show them the running log of 3k mile oil changes. So yes, cheap insurance.

Back