2023 Mazda CX-50 2.5S - 8043 Miles - Mazda 0W-20

This is the first oil analysis for my 2023 Mazda CX-50 2.5S i.e. the naturally aspirated 2.5L engine. I was able to pull quite a bit of data using the OBD MX+ scan tool and I will discuss that below. The oil in the sample was from the complimentary oil change that came with the vehicle purchase, the receipt states Mazda 0W-20 GF-5 was used and the oil filter was 1WPE-14-302. That oil change was performed at 8684 miles The oil that went in is Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 SP and the same filter went back on.

The oil was in use from May 19th to December 24th, over that time I covered 8043 miles and the total vehicle miles at time of change was 16727. This vehicle get used in mixed driving around Pittsburgh. I mostly work from home but when I do head into the office, it’s at minimum a 1hr drive each way. And over this interval, the car used no measurable amount of oil.

According to the computer, the engine has a total engine run time of 487.8 hour. OCI was 248.4 hours with total idle engine hours for the OCI being 31.8 hours. Average speed was 32.4mph, average MPG for the OCI was ~26mpg, with 305 gallons of fuel burned. The OLM was showing 2500 miles remaining on the oil change but I suspect it being closer to 2000 miles remaining since the next step down would be 1500 miles remaining. One more interesting data point I was able to pull off the ECM was Total Power Output of the engine, it stood of 6146.8kWh at the time of the change, so over the oil change, the engine produced 2908.1kWh of power. That equates to an average output of 15.7hp per hour of operation for engine.

Looking over the analysis, the amount of fuel in the oil was higher than I anticipated. But when I changed the oil, the oil coming out was really only lukewarm. I thought a 15 mile drive was gonna be enough to get the oil up to temp but I guess it wasn’t. So next sample I will take it on a longer drive before hand. As for the rest of the report, The viscosity is still in in grade even with a good amount of fuel in the oil. TBN, Oxidation, and Nitration all appear to be in check and at acceptable levels. Wear metals appear good since with this being only the second oil change and I expect them to continue to trend down. Overall this report looks okay, not great. I’m planning to run another analysis when the next oil change comes due, probably sometime this summer. Hopefully the fuel dilution will be improved.

Attachments

• 24Dec2023 Oil Analysis.jpg
    24Dec2023 Oil Analysis.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 365
Great write up & run on this new Mazda.
I'm thinking it will be interesting to see how the average power output compares to average speed at each oil change. At the initial oil change the average power output was 18.1hp with an average speed of 36mph. I'm anticipating the next oil will probably have a higher average speed since we have a few road times planned for spring/summer along with the fact that I already have 2000 miles on this current oil fill (lol).

The oil has turned into 0w16, but the engine didn't seem to mind. Good report for such a young engine. If this is only the 2nd OCI, the silicon is probably still from the sealers used in the initial build.

The oil has turned into 0w16, but the engine didn't seem to mind. Good report for such a young engine. If this is only the 2nd OCI, the silicon is probably still from the sealers used in the initial build.
Even with the oil thinning out from the fuel. This report seems to be inline with or better than some of the UOAs I have seen from this engine during break-in. I would imagine the silicon, copper and iron will continue to trend downwards with the next analysis.

I thought a 15 mile drive was gonna be enough to get the oil up to temp but I guess it wasn’t.
Maybe it’s a late-generation Mazda thing? Before my last oil change in my Miata, I took it for a spirited 30 mile drive to get the oil nice and hot. Was expecting to get a good scalding on my fingers when I pulled the drain plug, but oil probably wasn’t even 110 degrees.

Maybe it’s a late-generation Mazda thing? Before my last oil change in my Miata, I took it for a spirited 30 mile drive to get the oil nice and hot. Was expecting to get a good scalding on my fingers when I pulled the drain plug, but oil probably wasn’t even 110 degrees.
The SkyActiv engines have a relatively large oil capacity for their size with a dry fill of just about 6qt. So, I wondering if that, combined with the fact that they don't have a oil cooler/warmer. They just don't get the oil all that hot most of the time.

I wouldn't keep passing 5-6k miles with that much fuel. Save the money on uoa and just change the oil

I think the concern for fuel dilution is overblown, this engine has been around for over 10 years and this specific variant of it has been on the market since 2018. If fuel dilution was causing engines to blow up, we would have seen it by now. Sure, it would be better if less fuel was getting in the oil, but I don't think this fuel reading is a cause for concern at this point. I plan on continuing ~8-10k OCI and sending off samples. So, we will see if the fuel dilution is lower this next time, since it will be a sample taken this summer.

Plus, if I save money by not doing a UOA, what are we gonna discuss? :LOL:

I would be switching over to 0w/5w-30.
I have thought about going to 0W-30, but for now, I think I'm gonna stick with the recommended 0W-20. Maybe in the future I will change it up.

Last edited:
I think the concern for fuel dilution is overblown, this engine has been around for over 10 years and this specific variant of it has been on the market since 2018. If fuel dilution was causing engines to blow up, we would have seen it by now. Sure, it would be better if less fuel was getting in the oil, but I don't think this fuel reading is a cause for concern at this point. I plan on continuing ~8-10k OCI and sending off samples. So, we will see if the fuel dilution is lower this next time, since it will be a sample taken this summer.

I have thought about going to 0W-30, but for now, I think I'm gonna stick with the recommended 0W-20. Maybe in the future I will change it up.
Mazda says you can use 30 weight just fine.

So, we will see if the fuel dilution is lower this next time, since it will be a sample taken this summer.
Even if it doesn't, the PP should end up thicker than the oil in this UOA. It starts off fairly thick for a 0W-20 and doesn't shear-thin very much.

Whatever makes you sleep well at night. Good luck with it

This is the first oil analysis for my 2023 Mazda CX-50 2.5S i.e. the naturally aspirated 2.5L engine. I was able to pull quite a bit of data using the OBD MX+ scan tool and I will discuss that below. The oil in the sample was from the complimentary oil change that came with the vehicle purchase, the receipt states Mazda 0W-20 GF-5 was used and the oil filter was 1WPE-14-302. That oil change was performed at 8684 miles The oil that went in is Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 SP and the same filter went back on.

The oil was in use from May 19th to December 24th, over that time I covered 8043 miles and the total vehicle miles at time of change was 16727. This vehicle get used in mixed driving around Pittsburgh. I mostly work from home but when I do head into the office, it’s at minimum a 1hr drive each way. And over this interval, the car used no measurable amount of oil.

According to the computer, the engine has a total engine run time of 487.8 hour. OCI was 248.4 hours with total idle engine hours for the OCI being 31.8 hours. Average speed was 32.4mph, average MPG for the OCI was ~26mpg, with 305 gallons of fuel burned. The OLM was showing 2500 miles remaining on the oil change but I suspect it being closer to 2000 miles remaining since the next step down would be 1500 miles remaining. One more interesting data point I was able to pull off the ECM was Total Power Output of the engine, it stood of 6146.8kWh at the time of the change, so over the oil change, the engine produced 2908.1kWh of power. That equates to an average output of 15.7hp per hour of operation for engine.

Looking over the analysis, the amount of fuel in the oil was higher than I anticipated. But when I changed the oil, the oil coming out was really only lukewarm. I thought a 15 mile drive was gonna be enough to get the oil up to temp but I guess it wasn’t. So next sample I will take it on a longer drive before hand. As for the rest of the report, The viscosity is still in in grade even with a good amount of fuel in the oil. TBN, Oxidation, and Nitration all appear to be in check and at acceptable levels. Wear metals appear good since with this being only the second oil change and I expect them to continue to trend down. Overall this report looks okay, not great. I’m planning to run another analysis when the next oil change comes due, probably sometime this summer. Hopefully the fuel dilution will be improved.
Good write up! BTW What app are you using to pull the information from your ECU?

Back