2020 Mazda 3 2.5 NA 8005mi Supertech 0W-20/ OE filter.

IMG_6702.jpeg

8,005 mile oil change, oil was in use around 6 months. I’m fairly gentle on my car but I do live in the mountains and I think I’m having a temperature control issue in the engine where it’s running a bit cold(have another post on that) so I’m happy with these results for sure. Was also looking for coolant contamination.

As far as the sub variant of supertech I think I had the “10,000mi” version but I don’t remember offhand. I always buy a full synthetic but don’t always remember if I got the advanced or normal.

Filter wise I just use the Mazda ones. They used to give me the “value” version but the dealer has been handing me the normal one lately. I think it’s the 1-WPE-14-302 in this sample.

A couple of notes:
1) 6.81 viscosity seems too low for no fuel dilution. Either the 6.81 result is wrong, or the fuel dilution is higher than they think. This oil starts at about 8.3 cSt, so if fuel is not dropping the viscosity to 6.81, then there's lots of shearing going on. I believe it's more likely that there is much more fuel dilution than Blackstone thinks there is.
2) if you want another metric for oil life, AND a better idea of fuel dilution, try Oil Analyzers. They use gas chromatography which gives much more accurate fuel dilution numbers, and they also report oxidation results, which give another metric on remaining oil life.

View attachment 210661

8,005 mile oil change, oil was in use around 6 months. I’m fairly gentle on my car but I do live in the mountains and I think I’m having a temperature control issue in the engine where it’s running a bit cold(have another post on that) so I’m happy with these results for sure. Was also looking for coolant contamination.

As far as the sub variant of supertech I think I had the “10,000mi” version but I don’t remember offhand. I always buy a full synthetic but don’t always remember if I got the advanced or normal.

Filter wise I just use the Mazda ones. They used to give me the “value” version but the dealer has been handing me the normal one lately. I think it’s the 1-WPE-14-302 in this sample.
Great report, particularly the wear metals. I had the slow warm-up issue and eventually the Check Engine light illuminated which allowed the repair to be covered under warranty. Do you have a hatchback or sedan?

Jeff

Overall great looking report. The viscosity is basically the same as the UOA that I ran on my CX-50 with the same engine. While it does seem a little low, it doesn't appear to be causing any problems. I ran my UOA with Oil Analyzers and came back with 4.3 percent fuel, while I don't think you have that much fuel here. It also probably isn't as low as blackstone is saying.

A couple days ago I saw a 12qt box of ST Syn 10k 0w20 on markdown/or closeout) ~$37, maybe less. I thought I don't need any more oil though, so I walked away. Seeing this report, kinda kicking myself now.

Good report.

A couple days ago I saw a 12qt box of ST Syn 10k 0w20 on markdown ~$37, maybe less. I thought I don't need any more oil though, so I walked away. Seeing this report, kinda kicking myself now.

Good report.
You realize the oil didn't make this report. The engine did. Pretty much any similar oil would've given similar results.

Great report, particularly the wear metals. I had the slow warm-up issue and eventually the Check Engine light illuminated which allowed the repair to be covered under warranty. Do you have a hatchback or sedan?

Jeff
Sedan, and yeah I’m hoping mine goes off, the dealer and Mazda haven’t been cooperative on a warranty replacement without a cel set

This car needs one viscosity grade higher Xw-30 if you want maintain viscosity of 0w-20 oil.
At the same time, what would be the point of doing that when the wear metals are so low? Obviously this engine doesn't seem to mind the lower viscosity.

At the same time, what would be the point of doing that when the wear metals are so low? Obviously this engine doesn't seem to mind the lower viscosity.
I dont know if low metals is enough data to say all is good. The viscosity had a big drop - most likely from fuel

I dont know if low metals is enough data to say all is good. The viscosity had a big drop - most likely from fuel
Planning on using a lab that checks for fuel better next oil change, by then I’ll be off Powertrain warranty and I might decide to use a 0W-30 or 5W-30.

This engine calls for 5W-30 in Mexico.

A couple of notes:
1) 6.81 viscosity seems too low for no fuel dilution. Either the 6.81 result is wrong, or the fuel dilution is higher than they think. This oil starts at about 8.3 cSt, so if fuel is not dropping the viscosity to 6.81, then there's lots of shearing going on. I believe it's more likely that there is much more fuel dilution than Blackstone thinks there is.
2) if you want another metric for oil life, AND a better idea of fuel dilution, try Oil Analyzers. They use gas chromatography which gives much more accurate fuel dilution numbers, and they also report oxidation results, which give another metric on remaining oil life.
I am becoming very sceptical of Blackstone's viscosity numbers. Great report. More "Proof" that 20 wt oil is fine.

Back