2005 RX330 3000 miles M1 FS 0w40

Hi All,

Here are the results of one of BITOG's favorite oils - M1 0w40 in a Lexus RX330 - Regularly short tripped by my wife (and semi-regularly full-throttled by me). 3000 miles, (5000km) in 8 months. This is a "new" used vehicle; and the purpose of the UOA was to confirm that there were no problems (coolant in oil, fuel dilution etc) - I was also intrigued to see what was in M1 0w40 (Australia).

Very impressed with the add pack, especially with the very healthy dose of zinc, moly and boron. Wear levels are very good, but note contaminants (silicon) seems a little high despite a new air filter - My intention is to run this oil for 12 months or 10,000km going forward.

1697781812078.jpg

Keep an eye on your potassium that is an indication of antifreeze.
That is interesting - Thank you.

There is very little glycol, does that indicate that potassium could be an additive in this instance?

I was not intending on obtaining another sample for this vehicle, but may do so based on your comment.

is this the very first time that this oil was used in the engine? Perhaps it’s leftovers from a previous oil. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It would make sense to now run it to your desired interval and sample again, just to confirm everything is still happy and good to go. 👍🏼

That is interesting - Thank you.

There is very little glycol, does that indicate that potassium could be an additive in this instance?

I was not intending on obtaining another sample for this vehicle, but may do so based on your comment.
I doubt it's an additive. They may of done that once upon a time but it's been a while. Just sample again after your run to monitor if it's come down, gone up, or remained steady. If It doesn't get too bad then I'd leave it be but you'll know IF you have any issues eventually. It may of even been some weird oil additive someone put in it for all we know at this point. Just monitor...

Appears to be old stock 0w40. Guessing this batch is from SN era, not SN Plus or SP.
Do you still have the used, empty jug... to read what designation is listed on the back?

Thanks Falcon and Triple Se7en - No doubt the new version has been nerfed? Less Zinc?

Seems the SN version is still on the shelves in Australia. I'll pick up some more next time it goes on sale.

Nice. Stick with this oil and the engine will outlive the chassis of the car. Don’t forget to change up the diff/trans fluid as well if it hasn’t been serviced as of yet.

Enjoy the car. Oh, if it’s short tripped a lot you may want to keep an eye on those kilometres.

Nice. Stick with this oil and the engine will outlive the chassis of the car. Don’t forget to change up the diff/trans fluid as well if it hasn’t been serviced as of yet.

Enjoy the car. Oh, if it’s short tripped a lot you may want to keep an eye on those kilometres.
Thanks (belated response from me!) - Diff and Transfer case were changed out with 75w90 Amsoil Severe gear. Oil looked in good shape so she's been looked after.

Bought it with a harsh transmission shift that 'softened' a little with a complete fluid exchange + filter. Its almost been completely eliminated with Lubegard red; and only shifts harshly when subjected to extreme heat (high ambient temperatures/stop-start driving).

Back