Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, 4,000 miles, 2020 Kia Soul

Changed the FF at 1,000 miles and so this only has 4,000 miles on it. I plan to do 5K OCIs. This is Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 but it has Mobil 1 EP 5W30 in it now. I figure the FS 0W40 seems to be on the low side of a 0W40 and usually ends up a 5W30 anyway so I gave it a try. This oil was cold when I did the oil change.

Soul.jpg

Always neat to see a new break-in UOA I don't care what the others say! Nothing out of the ordinary with this fresh engine. Thanks for sharing.

Calcium is more interesting than the "shearing" to me, that's a high calcium for DI engines. Even more so if turbo-charged small displacement running low rpms...especially if the auto-transmission keeps the RPM's low.

Calcium is more interesting than the "shearing" to me, that's a high calcium for DI engines. Even more so if turbo-charged small displacement running low rpms...especially if the auto-transmission keeps the RPM's low.
Yup...this gets used in two NA PFI engines and it will eventually go into the Lexus but that's a combo NA DI/PFI dual-system.

This is a 2020 with 5,000 miles at the time of change in late 2022? Or it's a 2022 and you made a typo?

Regardless, good report.

Lake Speed says it stands for Full synthetic.
He’s wrong. He’s also wrong that it’s bad for DI engines. It may be bad for forced induction + DI, but I doubt you can produce LSPI in the real world with a DI NA engine like a Corvette LT4 or Porsche NA 9A1. In any case, it’s not bad enough for Porsche to back spec their SN+ C40 oil for early models of the 718 with 2.5L TGDI engines. They still happily got filled with this oil for years.

Don’t get me wrong, he has a lot of knowledge and is generally right, but I thought this was a weak video.

Last edited:
Back